[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline davpowerTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Northern Mariana Islands
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelabs E-Trac, Excalaber II - 10"
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All - This is more of a "want to find" post rather than a found post.
I am working on Saipan and have access to the old Japanese airport that was taken by the USA during WW2.
I've found some old maps that show the locations of the Japanese buildings that are no longer standing, but can be identified by their foundations. I'm thinking there should be some interesting coins lost over the years around the old living areas. I have a Minelabs Etrac on the way from Kellyco that I plan to use for the hunt. This MD is new to me. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on either the detector or WW2 coins?
It seems that most of the area where the buildings were located was paved with concrete before they were built. The concrete is now covered with a few inches of dirt. It looks like the regular ground until one tries to dig, finding concrete down only a few inches. I'm sure iron trash will be the most popular find during the search for other goodies!
I've used Google, but found little to no useful info about WW2 Japanese coins.

Thanks for any suggestions - Dave

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21491.msg146864.html#msg146864

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:31:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dave, welcome to these forums. I'm sure you introduced yourself elsewhere but I missed it.

Your most likely problem will be the reinforcement bars in the concrete since it is so close to the surface. I'd stay clear of that if possible and search around the concrete where you can.

The eTrac comes with a few stock programs and if you are good at determining what you want to do, you can become adept at writing your own in short order. Use the stock programs, sign up on the Minelab forums where there are hundreds of users contributing programs for the eTrac.

Have fun!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21491.msg147052.html#msg147052

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline davpowerTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Northern Mariana Islands
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelabs E-Trac, Excalaber II - 10"
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:11:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the info --- the reinforcement bars are going to be a big problem.
DP

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21491.msg147059.html#msg147059

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:19:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The good news is that the least likely place for you to find coins is the newly deposited soil that rests on top of the concrete. If the soil is there from wind blowing it for the past 60 years, it's likely not to contain any coins from people who would not have gone there. Find the buildings, think about where people went to have a smoke, eat lunch or where the soldiers mustered each day. That's where the good stuff will be.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21491.msg147145.html#msg147145

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: