[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline danhughesTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2145.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

My latest podcast seems to have generated some heat, though I didn't mean to create a stir.   

Some people have some pretty vehement views on "long-range locators."  You know, the ones that will find gold several hundred feet (or miles) away.

You can listen to it here:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://thetreasurecorner.com

Click on the POD icon, or on the triangle in the circle in the graphic, and it will play on your computer. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24241.html#msg24241

---Dan Hughes,

Please Register or Login

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Gold is where it's left behind.
Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 04:08:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldmont
there are any software or pic programable to do the same that the arc geo looger?

A detector data logger is one of my interests also. The pic looks easy to use.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24285.html#msg24285

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:25:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by {author}
My latest podcast seems to have generated some heat, though I didn't mean to create a stir.   

Some people have some pretty vehement views on "long-range locators."  You know, the ones that will find gold several hundred feet (or miles) away.

You can listen to it here:

Please Register or Login

http://thetreasurecorner.com

Well, I guess attacking the sellers of LRL is one way of attracting attention to advertise your books, podcast, and website. It certainly works for Geotech.

Dan, I  could not help notice  that you just happen to be one of those people you spoke of with pretty vehement views about Long Range Locators. Have you field tested the variety of LRL, over the same period of time, and conditions, that you have spent field testing Metal detectors, that qualifies you to speak intelligently about such products? Just wondering how you obtain your information on the products you write, or publicly speak about?

I agree, the advertising claims seem a bit far fetched for the close minded, or prejudiced, so perhaps the solution is that we  insist the authorities shut down the people who are making  these fraudulent advertising claims, and ripping off their customers with high prices?

Dan, how about getting  all the viewers here together that think as you do, and  file a lawsuit  against the LRL rip-off artists. That would get the authorities attention.

Why not start the first lawsuit & complaint against the  LRL fraud you have exposed for us.  Keep up the good works!   Dell

LINK:

Please Register or Login

KELLYCO METAL DETECTORS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24292.html#msg24292

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:52:43 pm by Dell_Winders »

"WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, CAN BE DONE"

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:49:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dell you know what you put in these units . It is a money maker for you because the buyers of such units don't know anything about science . Don't you think it is about time to stop with your sales talk . Did you not read the comments of Carl Moreland . I have never been against you and let you post whatever you want but now it is hurting my science education . Please stop with your ways of trying to sell your equipment . Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24303.html#msg24303

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:50:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by {author}
Quote from: goldmont on Today at 02:55:20 PM
there are any software or pic programable to do the same that the arc geo looger?

A detector data logger is one of my interests also. The pic looks easy to use.

Oro, there are a number of Geophysical software programs you can down load for free. If you detector displays numerical data,you can copy these numbers down from from interval readings along your grid, and then manually enter numbers into the software to obtain a graphic image.

The Arc-Geo data, logger, basically translates audio from your  detector into numerical data, records and saves it, so you can upload the numerical data directly into your computer software.

Tim Williams, has made the task of graphic imaging with a metal detector, simpler, and easier for you. Dell

LINK:

Please Register or Login

Arc-Geo data locator for Metal detectors

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24304.html#msg24304

"WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, CAN BE DONE"

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dell I think you are LOCO . Don't you ever give up ? I don'think you are stupid ,  but how can a man with some education keep on selling and promoting this junk ? I think you are a danger to the members of this net. You tried out the Treasure Net and got banned there . What do you want us to do ?   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24305.html#msg24305

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 06:10:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, speaking of Tim's Arc Geologger I'm going to order one as it seesm to be an interesting device espeically with its GPS option for scanning large areas with a PI machine and big search coil like 2 x 1 m.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24306.html#msg24306

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline danhughesTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2145.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:19:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Dell,

Good questions all.  Thanks for your response.

First, I do plead guilty to trying to sell copies of my book.  In the intro to the podcast I refer you to my book URL, but I don't make anyone read the ad before they listen to the program.  Nor is there any advertising in the body of the program.

And I assure you, I had no idea I would be generating any controversy with that particular program.  In fact, that episode started as a list of factors that affect the depth of a regular metal detector.  But when I finished that part of it, I felt it was too short, so I threw in the LRL info as an afterthought, just to fill up the rest of the show. 

Here's what I know about LRLs:

1.  A few years ago there was a photo circulating around metal detector dealers (I used to sell detectors) that showed the innards of one of those raygun-looking long-distance locators.  Inside was a birdsnest of loose wiring, a circuit board from an old transistor radio (nothing connected to the power supply), and a small LED bulb connected directly to the 9-volt battery.  When you hit the ON switch, the LED lit up.  That's it.

2.  Several years ago, at a national treasure hunt convention at Kenny Wray's, I was witness to a "Long-Range Locator Hunt."  Entrants were not allowed to use regular detectors.  Some of the participants had machines they had bought for over a thousand dollars.  Many of them had Anderson dowsers.  In the one-hour hunt, with about 50 contestants, I think one coin was found - easily within the range of pure chance.  And I think the guy who found the coin was using two bent rods.

3.  Electronics engineers design the circuitry for normal metal detectors, and they are lab-tested extensively.  Long-range locators are explained by psuedoscientific mumbo-jumbo, and their claimed results cannot be reproduced in a laboratory.  (I'm not an electronics expert, but I do have a Master's Degree in Technology, and an FCC First Class Radiotelephone License, and I taught college radio broadcasting for 26 years).

The "keep an open mind" argument is the same one used by spiritualists when they were debunked by doubters.  Those who believe without evidence have TOO open a mind, I think.  And, in the case of spiritualism, magicians from Houdini to Randi have shown how mediums can fool the masses.  But many of the masses still want to be fooled.  I think many of those who argue in favor of LRLs really WANT them to work, but have no evidence that they do.  It is up to the inventor to prove that an invention works, and I haven't seen that happen with LRLs.

The bottom line to me is this (as I said in my podcast):  If I had a machine that would find gold at 300 feet, I'd be out finding gold.  I wouldn't build a factory and hire employees to make and sell copies of my machine; I'd just USE my machine and eliminate all the business headaches.  Doesn't that make more sense to you?

As for filing lawsuits, I don't know that I've ever read any guarantee that these machines will find anything.  The manufacturers are careful to make no specific claims, and the testimonials they publish generally express satisfaction with the units, but seldom do they enumerate concrete results.  And even if they did, I doubt the makers could be held responsible for customer claims, anyway. 

Thanks again for the discussion!

---Dan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24307.html#msg24307

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:40:55 pm by dan »

---Dan Hughes,

Please Register or Login

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:31:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dell , and by using these post you are trying to cover your selling politics ?  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24308.html#msg24308

Offline Tim_Williams
As seen on the History Channel "Decoded"
Bronze Member

Arc-Geo Logger!
As seen on the History Channel "Decoded"
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

958.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:41:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius The Arc-Geo Loggers have nothing to do with long range locators. If you have any questions please email me.

Tim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3501.msg24312.html#msg24312

Regards, Tim

Bringing metal detectors into the world of imaging!

Please Register or Login

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: