[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline AlphaWolfTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH QDII and BH Land Ranger w/ Modified Little Wizard Probe
« on: September 23, 2009, 03:34:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All,

I've finally tamed my Land Ranger ... took a while and lot of patience but the ol' Mustang (my nickname for it since it wild and hard to tame) is now a workhorse. I've seen many a LR owner plum go crazy and just sell theirs because all they get is chatter.
It's really quite a good detector once you take the time to learn it's language.
I think it's true of many detectors but I sure had a tough time for about the first few months using mine. Fortunately I ran into a guy that's been detecting since he was knee high to a wall socket and he happened to have a Time Ranger. He gave me some great tips and was right about every detail.

I hunt mostly in P2 mode with the sensitivity set at 5 or lower when hunting your average park or lot. I've got 3 coils for various types of detecting but use the 8" coil for wide open and the 4" coil for around playground equipment or near fences etc.
I do some nugget shooting which is pretty tricky around here since the ground is highly mineralized. I use all 3 coils there, depending on the situation. Of course I hunt in All Metal mode when nugget shooting and tend to use the 4" coil a lot when working the grid.

I've found it helps to stick to small areas and hunt them throughly in a grid like fashion when nugget shooting. I do my research ahead of time and only hunt where claims have been made in the past (expired claims). At least I know that gold has been found there in the past that way. The cool thing is that most if not all of these claims are from the 1970's so detectors were pretty primitive if used at all there. It's a great advantage having ol' Mustang with me. I like to pan and sluice and want to build a mini-highbanker since these can be used year around most anywhere here in Washington.

As far as the Land Ranger goes, I really like this machine! It's super sensitive, goes nice and deep and the discrimination works well to notch out the trash. I use the VDI (numeric readout) a lot if I've got something that is suspect but found that good headphones, keeping the sensitivity down, setting the Audio Level to barely hum then listening carefully to what the detector is telling me is the best way to find good stuff.

If you've got a Land Ranger, Time Ranger, or any Bounty Hunter or are into nugget shooting, I'm interested in hearing from you.
I've also got a QDII that is my "Tried & True" workhorse. I grab it when I want to go get some clad at the schoolyard or even hit trashy areas with the 4" coil. The QDII is no slacker, it works great and I've had no problems from either detector. In fact, I got a good deal on a second Land Ranger that was in perfect condition, in the box from a guy that just couldn't stand it. Of course my wife snagged it right up and said it was hers since I already had one ... mine's got some scratches on it but works beautifully.

Hey, it's good to find this place, hope to hear lots of tales of great finds.
Best of luck and Happy Huntin' to you all!

Dave
AW

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8147.msg51003.html#msg51003

Offline occupant
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Land Star, Ground Hawk
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Dave,
Interesting stuff about the LandRanger.  I use an older LandStar and wondered if the LandRanger and TimeRanger were very different from the LandStar, or just the same circuitry with a different face and additional software options.  From your descriptions, they must be more capable machines than the LS.  I have added a ten-turn control to the ground balance to make it easier to keep a threshold tone in All Metal, and it sure makes a difference in depth when running in a slightly negative ground balance setting. It will easily find a clad quarter at 10" in my test garden, and even gives a whisper over the 12" deep coin.
However, running in Discrimination Mode is very disappointing. Even with the disc. control fully counterclockwise (at zero disc.) I can only get 4" on a clad dime, and even then ID is spotty, and it won't see a nickel at 5".  I understand that preset ground balance is way positive, which kills depth, so I may play with the preset to see if it can be moved negative a bit and then test to see if it makes a difference.
So, if your experiences with the LandRanger and TimeRanger in Discrimination Mode are good, I may just go shopping for one or the other.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8147.msg78510.html#msg78510

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: