[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ratshotTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter/ landstar
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i have been a treasure hunter all my life but i just recently took the next step and purchased a metal detector, i bought a bounty hunter/landstar from a local pawn shop, i would love to hear your pros and cons on this unit

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg137727.html#msg137727

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's going to depend upon how much you paid for and what you are planning to use it for---and to a certain degree, how old it is.

The early Bounty Hunters, like the Red Baron, had very good reputations.  Then through a series of changes, including changes in marketing strategy, Bounty Hunter went through a period where the brand developed a reputation for questionable quality control  (some unit did really well, and some units of the same model just didn't seem to hold up or do as well).   However, since First Texas Products, which manufactures Bounty Hunter, acquired Fisher, the reputation/reliability of Bounty Hunter has once again begun improving.

If your using the Landstar for coinshooting and general relic hunting, you should do ok with it.   More importantly there is a very good chance it will pay for itself. 

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg137744.html#msg137744

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:49:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bounty Hunters in my eyes are Formidable machines for the price.

Coin Killers for sure.

Nugget Shooters NO!

Built a bit on the Cheapo side but I've used a whole lot worse.

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg137748.html#msg137748
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/Retirement.jpg

Offline ratshotTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter/ landstar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i paid $220 for the detector, i did a little research and that was about half price, as for how old the product is i'm not sure how to tell, i plan to search along the beaches at the lake and around some very old house sites in the mountains near my home and see what turns up

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg137750.html#msg137750

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:01:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You should be fine...just be gentle with the machine....homefire has one I sent him to "resurrect" where the "port" for the on-off switch got snapped off (still not sure how that happened and whether it was my wife or the previous owner or a combination).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg137752.html#msg137752

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:02:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Bounty Hunter's are good machines they may not be the most expensive or have the most amount of widgets and gadgets attached to them, But if you practice and dig every find eventually u will be able to do just as good with it as someone with a fancy machine.

I have gone on group hunts and gone back over areas the guys with the fancy machines have gone over and find stuff they leave behind like coins and rings etc. the thing is "experience" work with your machine and dig every find.

I hunt for pleasure and exercise so i dont mind doing the digging.
it's all up to you and how much you work with your machine and how well you learn it.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg137755.html#msg137755

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:30:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have an older Bounty Hunter and am glad I started off simple, and cheap. I am learning everyday, and I do go out almost daily. I just received a 4 inch coil and was real pleased with it and what it does. I will get a ten inch coil soon and be able to go a little deeper. Bounty Hunter is not a deep machine.

Read up on your machine. Read the manual, you should be able to find one online. Perform and air test with different items and settings. I don't do test gardens, but you may wish to have one just to set your machine for a specific type of hunting.

If you make a full time hobby out of this you will want more than one machine with the areas you mentioned to search.

Good Luck and happy Hunting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg140203.html#msg140203

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline TriDitty
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 03:37:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Karl
The Bounty Hunter's are good machines they may not be the most expensive or have the most amount of widgets and gadgets attached to them, But if you practice and dig every find eventually u will be able to do just as good with it as someone with a fancy machine.

I have gone on group hunts and gone back over areas the guys with the fancy machines have gone over and find stuff they leave behind like coins and rings etc. the thing is "experience" work with your machine and dig every find.

I hunt for pleasure and exercise so i dont mind doing the digging.
it's all up to you and how much you work with your machine and how well you learn it.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

This reply is right on.  My pioneer 505 just found a wheat penny that is too old to date due to damage but it is almost certainly the oldest I have found to date.  It was found at an old civil war site areoun seven inches deep.

The reason why I have given this as an example is that this site has been hunted very hard and I will be returning to speak with someone about the etiquette at that site.  If they don't mind then I will dig some of the deeper targets that I came across but did not want to make too big of a hole.  An old church still operates there and the site is in it's front yard.

I have learned how to work with the 505 by experimenting in my own yard tirelessly.  Now that I go out at sites I can "be one with the 505" in a way that puts more inexperienced users to shame with anything that they bring out there.

To the older hunters defense though, the 505 does discriminate very well and tells me when an object is "trashy" or irregular by it's ID changing by running over it in different directions in certain ways.  I only dug one hole that afternoon but came up with the wheatie because I know exactly what a wheatie looks like compared to anything else except a not so old copper penny.

I can tell you that my unit does definately find coins very very well with it''s 8in coil but I do need to try to get a couple of inches deeper so I will be trying to increase coil size next.  The 4 in poineer coil has much better depth than I thought with twice the target seperation in trashy areas than I expected.  I found two more silver coins in my own yard after going over it tirelessly with my 8 in.

Exp[eriment in your own yard before going out!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg151000.html#msg151000

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline wholesaler57
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

350.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been using metal detectors to hunt treasure for about 20 years. During this time, I have owned several high end Garretts, Whites, Tesoros, and Fisher. I recently got the chance to pick up a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 off of Ebay for $100.00 plus shipping. I jumped on it and I'm glad that I did. When I first took the 3300 out of the box I thought it was to light and it felt cheap. I also noticed that the ID meter seemed a little off on the deeper targets and had a little trouble locking on. I perservered and left my Garrett and Whites at home as I took 3-4 trips to tot lots, a beach, and schoolyard. Lo and behold, as I got a little more used to the 3300, I started finding nickels at about seven inches, and a couple of quarters at 9 inches or a little deeper. I had never found a nickel at more than 5 inches nor a quarter at deeper than about seven inches with my Garrett, Whites, or Tesoro before. I also located a nice sterling silver necklace with cubic zirconia settings, another nice necklace, 3 nice rings and a 1944 merc along with numerous other coins. I am not saying they are the best units on the market but if you are smart you can pick one up at a bargain and get very good service out of it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg169017.html#msg169017

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bounty Hunter Land Star Reviews

Please Register or Login

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/67-1-landstar.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20769.msg169019.html#msg169019

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: