[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline OnionTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:24:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings,

Hope I get this in the right spot as I couldn’t find a post to answer my question. Been mulling over a Topo map and playing with Google earth trying to get a specific area located. I came across some information about magnetic north changing over the years as the magnetic field changes. I also read that Google earth uses true north and not magnetic north which I have to account for as I am confident this spot was chosen using compass headings relating to magnetic north, which is what got me thinking.

So let’s say a 100 years ago I buried a cache and used a compass pointing to magnetic north to set my marker SW that pointed me in the direction to go. Then later I could use the marker to point me in direction using line of site in case I had left my compass at home. Now it is a hundred years later and I return to claim my cache.  When I get out of the truck I realize as I have before, I left my compass at home. No worries as I had left a marker pointing me in the SW direction. So when I get to my marker it is a pile of rubble.  So I return home for my compass and head back so I can line myself up with magnetic north to get my SW line again. This is where my question comes in.

Am I still pointing in the right direction?

I read that magnetic north changes slightly each year and varies by how much in relation to where you are between the poles. In this location I found between 1963 and 1998 magnetic north decreased by 2.5 degrees. So a 100 years later and using magnetic north to find my SW line again and going my specific distance I could be significantly off if I dug in that specific spot correct? Or do magnetic north and the direction to travel stay the same due to the rotation of the earth even though a 100 years have passed? Maybe I am over thinking the process and there is no change or incorrectly digested the information I have read. I am just trying to account for any variables that may affect my calculations in finding the proper direction and spot as I have limited time and when I get there I want to make the most of it. Anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg225975.html#msg225975

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:47:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The phenomenon you are asking about is called magnetic declination and it can be found anywhere that has information regarding fliying airplanes since they never, ever used magnetic north. On all geodesic survey maps you will see an angle next to the arrow for magnetic north. That angle varies around the world based on your longitudinal positioning. At two places on earth, the magnetic and true north poles are zero degrees apart. In 2011, the poles were approximately 560 miles apart.

NASA and the NOAA keep track of the declination as well.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg225987.html#msg225987

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:50:50 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok...now we're getting complicated.   Simply put the magnetic pole itself wanders over time.

Please Register or Login

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/29dec_magneticfield.html

Now onto your specific question, within a limited geographical area, as long as you correct for the change (easy to calculate if you have two known points) and known original bearing, you should be ok.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg225989.html#msg225989

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 05:58:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Ok...now we're getting complicated.

Come on, mate. It's just an angle on the map. You can handle it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg225990.html#msg225990

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:00:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, my comment wasn't aimed at your response, but at Onion's original question.   You and I were working on our responses at the same time (and I really didn't feel like re-writing mine just because you hit post first   Smiley )

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg225991.html#msg225991

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your using a map, you will need to add or subtract the difference for true north. Most compasses come with instructions and can explain it better. The bezel dial also moves to help set your heading and stay on it. If you type in magnetic north on a google or wiki search, you should get a declination chart that is easy to read. Just 2' degree at a 1000 yards will have you way off target. When you find your azmuth, find a object off in the distance in your line of sight, and use that target to walk to counting your steps(pace count).

If your gonna bury something, use two points of reference, something that doesn't move or die. You can then use your position on a map to figure where you are and where you buried it.

Opps we all posted at the same time.

Just give it to me and Ill hold it. I got 100 years right?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg225993.html#msg225993

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:04:26 pm by Occassionally »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I kind of figured you were talkiing about his post but I couldn't resist the dig. It's that inner "high school brat" in me that peeked out.

Sorry, my friend. Forgive me.

Posted on: June 19, 2012, 02:03:39 AM
Quote:Posted by Occassionally
If your gonna bury something, use two points of reference, something that doesn't move or die. You can then use your position on a map to figure where you are and where you buried it.

I found an old diary once that advised the reader to turn left at the yellow house. Written in 1866, one can only imagine how many different colors of house there have been since then.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg225996.html#msg225996

Let's Talk Treasure!

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:16:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And in terms of your original question....where you are deciphering locations based on compass bearings made 100 years ago------If your waybill includes the bearings of two prominient landmarks with in sight of the target location, the relative angle between the target and each of two landmarks will remain the same.   So if you draw a straight line from you to the first landmark, and then proceed along that straightline of travel until the angle from you to the second landmark is the same as it is in the original mapping, you'll be at your spot.   The only thing that would change that significantly would be a major earthquake or similar landscape altering event  (like humans taking out a mountain in the search for precious metals or building material)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg226000.html#msg226000

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:25:45 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Glad I didnt mention "back azmuth" lol. Poor guy is probably confused now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg226002.html#msg226002

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:26:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Occassionally
Glad I didnt mention "back azmuth" lol. Poor guy is probably confused now.

It's definitely a subject that lends itself better to pictures than to word pictures.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36804.msg226003.html#msg226003

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: