[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SlimTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:53:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have been lurking on this site for quite some time, enjoying the reading.  However, now I have a story of my own and possibly some questions.  I know of a place where a possible civil war cache is located. 

Around 1950 a man purchased a tract of land.  And in preparing to farm this property he had portions of it cleared of trees and large rocks with a dozer.  Around 1960 a man came to the property claiming to have a map leading to a cache on the property.  This cache was a civil war era cache from a robbery.  The owner allowed the man to go look for the cache agreeing to spit what was found.  After some time the man came back to the owner very upset, as the trees and rocks that were to have been used as markers were not there.  The owner laughed and told of his clearing the land.  The man with the map left.

This property is in the mid-west and I have access to it.  I have never seen the map.  However, someone that was there during the previously told event, told me of the general location in which the cache was thought to be.  A few days ago, I was walking around the property and saw a large trapezoidal shaped rock leaned against a very large oak tree with a smaller rock beneath it.  This tree is approximately 8-10 feet in circumference at the base.  Out of curiosity, I followed what looked to be the most obvious point of the rock.  After walking in that direction for a couple hundred feet, I found another oak tree rather unusually shaped.  This tree is approximately 5-6 feet in circumference at the base.  Approximately 3.5 feet from the ground, the tree spits to form a "V".  Approximately 1.5-2 feet from the base of the "V" a limb crosses the "V" and has grown into and through the opposite limb of the "V".  Nothing else seemed to stick out as unusual in the area.  This is in the general area where the cache is thought to be.

My questions are...  How big would a white oak tree be now, if it were alive during the civil war (accounting for the variance in seasons in the mid-west)?  What is the likelihood of an oak tree limb growing into and through another limb of the same tree?  Would it not have been too much effort for someone, obviously not wanting to stay in the area, to bind a limb of a, small at the time, oak tree to another for a marker?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26551.msg186765.html#msg186765

Offline fredio
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:56:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi , I believe the art of tree aging is called 'denderology' don't pick me up on the spelling, what you have to do is drill a small bore to the centre of the tree, extracting a 'core' then count the rings, simple..... A tree lays down a 'ring' anualy, the good weather years are wider with the poor years growth narrower .
 It's not unusual for trees in thicker woodlands to 'grow through'  other trees.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26551.msg196996.html#msg196996

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: