[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline OxyygonTopic starter
Everything is possible, see Einstein: e=mc2
Pull Tab

Everybody must die, but not everybody did live ...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

none yet ...
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello everybody,

my Name is Joe, I am 45 years old, an electronic engineer and I live in Europe (first in Germany where I was born, then in Slovenia (next to Austria/Italy/Hungary) and now since seven years in Poland.

A friend of mine told me some weeks ago that he knows places where probably people running away from the German Nazis buried their treasures to hide them (e.g. in general Gold and Silver Coins).

Unfortunately, some of this people didnīt return back home ...

So the treasures are still there, he thinks. He asked me if I would like to help him to find some of them. The terrain/location is mostly woods next to small and little villages in Poland.

Therefore I started collecting knowledge about Metal Detectors. Soon I recognised, that the "usual" ones (like Garrett, Tesoro, Teknetics, Fisher, ...) which as I think work with VLF probably are not very useful for this purpose because they donīt go much deeper as about 30cm (12 feet?).

I am sure, if somebody buried his treasures in a depth of letīs say 20cm or 30cm (maybe he didnīt have enough time to dig much deeper ...) about 60 years ago (or longer), this goods probably did sink in this long time period some deeper.

Therefore Metal Detectors which go maximum 50cm AMHO will not be the right tool kit to find such treasures.

I also found the Information, that PI Detectors will go much deeper, but it seems that only at big objects they do so (like a soda can or even bigger).

But, if e.g. I would like to find letīs say a handfull (maybe five Twenty-Dollar-Gold-Coins) Coins, also the PI Detectors are not the right tool, are they? I am not very sure about that. Maybe the more expensive ones like the Lorenz Deepmax X5, the Pulse Star 2 Pro, the Minelab GPX 5000 (maybe even Jeohunter and/or Jeoscan, OKM Evolution ...) or similar ones would do what I expect? Does anybody know?

Another solution I found are the 2-Box Metal Detectors. It seems they have the same problem like the PI Detectors, that they only will detect larger objects in "deep" hiding places.

I really donīt know what to choose ...

Or would it be maybe a good idea to make a detector by my own (DIY) with some help of experienced "freaks" of Deep Metal Detecting?

I donīt want to buy such an expensive tool and after short time find out that this is not suitable for my needs and expectations ... Although I am prepared to spend a nice bunch of money for the detector, I donīt want to buy something "useless" for my purpose ...

Can anybody help, please?

Can anybody give me some hints, please?

I am even prepared to participate one with the found treasures for a good hint and help ...  Smiley

Thank you very much in advance for your kind answers.

Very truly yours,

Joe

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231675.html#msg231675

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:15:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Oxyygon

A PI detector can be used with a small coil or a big coil what you have read about is detectors that were designed to find large objects at great depths, how ever a PI detector can also be designed to use a small coil and will give you an advantage of depth over a VLF detector but with the disadvantage of no discrimination which is what you would have on a VLF machine. A VLF machine can easily detect at a depth of 300mm. You can even get kits of some very good machines from Silverdog at more than reasonable prices and they work but do not have all the bells and whistles but then do you need them (I don't)

All the best to you
Xavier    

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231682.html#msg231682

Xavier

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:19:07 pm by xavier »

So many questions so little time

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

none yet ...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:46:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Xavier,

thank you very much for your kind answer.

Yes, I do not need the discrimination. For me the most important is the deep depth ...

I will take a look at the machines of Silverdog, thank you for the hint. I didnīt meet this company at my "research" til now I think ...

Do you, maybe, know how much will be the advantage in depth with a small coil (how much is small, BTW?) between VLF and PI Detectors?

Very truly yours,

Joe

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231688.html#msg231688

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Let me put it to you this way I have a PI detector and it will detect the smallest piece of rubbish at quite a depth and it's at most times a waist of my time but there are times when the find is good. Where I have found the PI to excel is on the beech and in the water great depth and works well in water other than that just a pain in the butt. But of coarse if you are looking for a large object and are going to be using a large coil it a totally other story. You must also take look at what is that deep depth that you are referring to (how deep is deep)   

All the best to you
Xavier 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231690.html#msg231690

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:10:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A Pulse Star is what you need. It has the ability to go the depth you need while determining whether the hit is ferrous or non-ferrous. You can get both an 18" and a one meter coil for the job.
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231698.html#msg231698

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree on the PI.     For what your thinking they work quite well.

Yes they will Detect Gold if set up the Right way.

MineLab has some serious machines but I don't have the $5000.00 Plus for the basic system.

You can get started with A relatively cheap VLF and cover some ground.

I would assume the Coins or other Valuables would be in some type of Container.

Here we are some 80 years later.

What containers did they have at the time.

My Guess is the number One Choice would be a Mason Jar.

After the War Started Ammo Cans would be water tight and thought to last some years!

Back to Detectors!

Silverdog offers kits that are well put together and Well Documented.

PI and VLF.

Store Bought type are easy at hand and all around you.

Like you said Detectors like the Blood Hound Garret or Fisher only does lunch box and Tank Parts.   Maybe a Helmet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231706.html#msg231706

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:36:04 pm by homefire »
Offline satdave
Barracuda-DFX-QUATTRO-1V- VLR 990D-TGSL X2-1265X-IGSL-Mini pulse 3
Copper Member

Barracuda-DFX-QUATTRO-1V- VLR 990D-TGSL X2-1265X-IGSL-Mini pulse 3
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

515.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:35:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi
First thing you need to do is find out what sort of mineral/iron content is in the ground your planning to detect on, because  if its riddled with iron content like are farmlands here in england the PI format will be a total waste of time no matter what machine or coil size you buy which will then take you to the IB format which will help to weed out the coloured/non coloured metals.
Far as which machine for you to purchase or build, if your soils are like we have here then theres three main factors to consider firstly cost, secondly wight, and last but not least are you looking for a switch on and go machine or a machine for optium peformance to get as deep as possible but will require months of learning to get that performance.
To give a example will mention the Whites DFX which is quite old now and can be purchased new between Ģ500-Ģ600 which i have experience with.
When taken out the box and assembled there are factory preprograms on it which work about the same as the 1V which is around Ģ200 switch on and go machine.
Once you get experienced with the DFX and want optium performance you need to go into pro options where you have settings like, frequency, VDI normalize, preamp gain, fade rate, graph accumilate, graph averaging, dc phase, VDI sense, visual disc, ground filtering, sweep speed, target volume, audio threshold, tone, audio disc, silent search, mixed mode, AC sense, DC sense rachet pinpoint, sat speed, tone id, VCO, modulation, auto trac, auto trac offset, trac inhbit, fine geb, block edit accept/reject, recovery speed bottle cap reject hotrock reject, Theres a few more but cant remember them.
At least half of those if not more needs to be set up on site to where your going to detect by first measuring the ground as a target, if you dont do that it would be like pining a tail on the donkeys bum with the lights switched out.
Most setting are 1-10 or 1-20 although VDI numbers are 141 between -/+.
Once set up correctly which takes me around 30mins or so on site there one of the most powerful accurate detectors to date with the experinced detectorist operating it.
The down side of these detectors are firstly the learning curve which takes along time because the only way is to learn how each function actually works and what it does and how it effects other settings and so forth.
Secondly wether you have used other detectors in the past wouldnt be much use even if you owned the XLT there a breed of there own.

If its not for you then maybe try some of the self builds at silverdogs, the TGSL is a nice detector built two of those one from out the bag components and the other that was all precision parts, Not great on depth but excellent discrimination, only way to use those is discrimination on but backed right of on the pot otherwise you will miss goodies.
There simple switch on and go, my 8 year old daughter plays with one of them, or go and buy the whites coinmaster for Ģ200 which is the same as the 1v but just rehoused into a cheaper box, they work well for the money and you can always move it on if you want to upgrade.
Theres lots of good machines on the market but only as good as the user so you will always get the mines better than your syndrom not just by certain detectorists but also manufactures, Ideally you need to find fellow detectorists that are detecting in Poland that know the lands as i do England and go from there.
So the bottom line is centred round ground factors, do your home work and narrow your options.

Regards

Dave      

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231730.html#msg231730

satdaveuk

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:14:53 pm by satdave »

Satdaveuk

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

none yet ...
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

@ Xavier:
Thank you again. I looked at Silverdog, but their Website is down for holiday (itīs the first Website I have seen in my life which closes their doors during holidays  Shocked  ). But I found a PDF on their Website which I am excited about. Finally some helpful technical information about what PI Detectors are really doing, together with the DIY-instruction to bulit it by your own. Great - although it seems not to be a very deep going Detector.

For me the description of deep is around 2-3 Meters ... Minimum!

Thank you again for your very helpful information.

@ aquanut:
Yes, I have spent very long time on reading about the Pulse Star 2 Pro. Although I did not really know if this can be the right tool for me. But your post helps me very much, thank you for it.

@ homefire:
Yes, the MineLabs Detectors are also in my "Inner Circle" of thinking about. I am even ready to spend this large amount of money for it, if:
1. I can learn to manage the settings in about 2-3 Weeks (learning each day about 8-10 hours)
2. This equipmčnt will give me the possibility to find what I am searching for in the depth of more than 3 Meters

I am quite sure that at some of the places my friend knows we will find more than five 20-Dollar-Gold-Coins. Selling this Cold Coins will bring me more than the price of the Detector, so I think this will be a good return on investment ... Every coin I will find more than the five pieces will be pure profit, I think ...

You gave me very good information telling that probably the coins can be in some Container, maybe a Mason Jar.

But the iron cover can be dissapeared by rost, so there is only the glass ...

Or, if I think of myself what I would do in such a situation, if I have to bury my coins in hurry and stress, maybe they didnīt have the time (and the needed peace) to put this coins into a Container (maybe they just used a simple material bag/sack).

And, again, the very important question: If they buried it in letīs say 30cm, how much it was sinking in the las 70-80 years? Yes I know, this also depends from the soil. but maybe there are some general approximate "sinking" formulas ...

No, I do not want to start with a simple VLF Detector. I am convinced that the relatively small depth they have (maximum about 50cm if even) is a waist of money and time ...

I prefer to start a little bit more "professional", even if I have to learn several weeks ...

I would say, Ammo Cans - even if they last some years - probably didnīt be used. And if, probably the metal is rosted in the meantime ... I am sure that the most of the "treasure" were buried during the war, running away from the Nazis, in more or less hurry and stress. So I think I will concentrate my "work" at this time only on this goods ...

Thank you for your helpful hints.

@ satdave:
Your post was both very helpful (because of the numerous settings you mentioned) and scary (because if I think about that I have to spend months to learn how each function actually works and what it does and how it effects other settings and so forth). This can really be a very difficult thing to learn, even for an experienced technician.

You gave me a lot of material to think about, because you are right: It doesnīt matter how good the machine is, it will be as good as the user who works with it.

So thank you also very much for your post and your helpful explanations.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231737.html#msg231737

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rust is very Detectable.   LOL

Even a Minelab will Not see 5 gold coins at three meters.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231749.html#msg231749

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

none yet ...
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:23:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

@ homefire:
This two short sentences go very deep in my mind.

Finally, at last it's clear to me. This your second sentence shows me, that it seems that I am looking for something what (at this moment?) really doesnīt exist. What seems is technically not (yet?) possible. Amazing! People fly to the moon an send robots to other planets, but solving such an "easy" challenge finding deep buried small objects is difficult ...

So my next step now is to find out, which Metal Detector is the one which goes deeper than the others ...

Thank you very much for your two interesting conclusions.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37602.msg231785.html#msg231785

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: