[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline metal_inspectorTopic starter
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:54:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Okay, so I decided that I should look into this more.  Any story told or heard about is worth looking into and researching.  The details about the story are below.  I have only heard this story from my aunt and grandmother.  We are not sure if it is true or not, but it is possible. 

Supposedly, back in the mid 1850s.  A train robbery happened down in my small river front town, where a Train Depot sat and tracks ran up and down the river.  It still stands today.  But, a gang was told to have robbed the train of gold coins and taken them behind to the Walkinda River.  This river is right behind my house.  It is said that the cache was stored in a hollow tree with three metal rings in it.  I have went down there before, but I was only using a pinpointer at the time.  The only tree that I found with metal had large metal spikes drove into them.  It was an old deerstand site though.

This story has been told around me a couple of times, and I haven't really bothered to think nor try to research the area a bit.  My aunt at one time said she had found an thermos inside of a tree one time, but it was empty and was rusted out.  That sure had her excited.  Anyways, any advice or info would be appreciated.  I just thought that I should have any other input just to see if I should approach this a certain way.

Thanks---

~Metal_Inspector~

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg32350.html#msg32350

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:11:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My thoughts reading your post is that the hollow tree is probably long gone by now. Metal rings could possibly still be there though. Has the river changed course over the years or flooded? If it's not a story that got in some lost treasure tale book or magazine, people, with detectors, probably haven't been looking for it so that's good. Wish the thermos your aunt found would have been a cache - different one of course!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg32352.html#msg32352

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:20:53 pm by Sue »
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was thinking the same thing.  The area around the "flats" as they called it, have drastically changed in the last few years due to an excess of rain.  It has washed out a lot of the bank.  Hm, hopefully the hollow tree might have left it behind some how.  There is a lot of hollow trees down there, but it has probably long rotted out.  I plan to look into it down in the flats.  I think that it might be worth the time to find out if it is in there somewhere.  Yup, it excited her there for a few moments until it was empty. 

No, I doubt that the story got in any published book.  Its just been a family thing that has been passed down. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg32353.html#msg32353

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:30:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Floods could kill trees and there could be more hollowed out ones in time - lightning too. If it's drastically changed in just the last few years, imagine all the change since 1850. I'd sure detect the whole area. What a great project - hope you give the family a final chapter to the story - FOUND by metal_inspector! I like the sound of that! Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg32354.html#msg32354

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:33:26 pm by Sue »
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:44:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It will take a lot of physical energy, since the area has deep ravines all around it.  The hillsides are very steep too and are hard to trek up and down.  I would do just that to search for any Cache left behind by a robbery.  Thanks for any info and for the luck at finding the Cache.  I plan to buy a different detector since mine has malfunctioned at the moment, and then I will graph out the area and search grid by grid!!

I will be sure to let anyone know on my progress on this project.  It is my first one and will give me inspiration.  It will take some time with careful planning and preparing, before I begin.  Thanks all for any info and luck given to me.

~Metal_Inspector~

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg32356.html#msg32356

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:21:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sounds exciting! so i'm assuming the story involves the thieves stashing the money and than possibly being killed by the law or losing the spot they hid it?  Don't have to give out any specifics but those stories are fun and was wondering if you could ellaborate for entertainment sake. as I'm sure you know I would ask around for more details of the story to pinpoint the area you have to search. But of course be careful you don't want to get the whole town looking. Be careful around those ravines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg35654.html#msg35654

Offline d.p.swing
Copper Member

just do it!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett2500
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:10:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hey metal inspector  have u ever thuoght about map dowsing  the area could help, and save u a lot of time running in circles, just athought   d.p.  swing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg36659.html#msg36659

Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:03:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes, I have considered the thought that they were probably caught and hung by the law enforcement.  It was not entirely detailed about the time after they supposedly stashed it behind my house.  The chances are that they were more of executed than losing the spot.  If they were running away from the law, they would have temporarily stored it so that it could easily be attained when they returned.  I will elaborate more after a bit.  I don't have the time to at the moment. 

Hm, map dowsing.  I will take that in consideration, thank you. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg36682.html#msg36682

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 02:22:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

metal_inspector;
If the local newspaper was operating then, you might find something in the "morgue," also, first off, rule out the ravine and the hill side, leave them til last.

I know a similar treasure story, local to this area, involving gold miners returning from the Klondike. It is quite involved but I could type it up and stick it on here, if there is interest. This one involves robbery, murder and one person returning many years later, to look for the stash (unsuccessfully.)

Draw yourself a "map," to scale, showing where the robbery took place and the area where the cache might be. Then plot out a likely route around habitations, at that time, and see if anything obvious, likely, or potential, appears. Last but not necessarily least, after assembling this plan, dowse it because you may unconsciously see something and dowsing might be influenced by it.

Dowsing is not a fable, sometimes you sub- or unconsciously KNOW, because of the data your brain is processing and it can present as a dowsing indication, even if you have no skill or faith in dowsing;  its a psychiatric thing, not necessarily psychic.

Brian AKA goldigger (not a dowser)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg36904.html#msg36904

goldigger

Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 12:40:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have yet to receive some history on my local town.  I have, but not as thorough as I would have liked.  It has some pieces from the local newspaper from long ago, but not exactly far enough back in time to talk about the possible robbery.

I was going to check the flat grounds, I may not even bother with the hills.  They were more than likely in a hurry, being that they were being pursued by law.  But, at the same time they would have had to use something as a marker to come back to it later and easily attain it and get out of there.  Yes, I would appreciate it if you could put up the similar treasure story, I would enjoy reading it.

Hm, okay.  I never considered the thought of dowsing nor have I really looked into it.  I have seen and heard it mentioned, but never was interested enough to look into it.

I suppose an example of dowsing would be something like this.  I have a neighbor that would like for me to check in a certain spot that has stuck out to him for twenty-five years.  He thinks that this spot contains possible treasure and would like for me to check it out for him.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5193.msg36947.html#msg36947

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: