[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline MordecaiTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:04:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings, l am looking for some possible insight or suggestions on an area. Many years ago when I was in my late teens, I was on an outing with my dad and grandpa, to locate a lost Spanish mine. We followed my grandpa?s dowser for quite some time and found a few trees with possible Spanish markings on them for the life of me I can?t remember what they looked liked though and can?t find my pictures. I remember they were well grown over and hard to make out. We continued on to an area the dowser indicated that was not easy to get to. Once there we located what looked to be depression in the rock hillside filled in with many rocks both large and small and over grown with vegetation. What was most odd about the area and one thing I was wondering about was the trees in the area. There were many trees; all roughly about 30 to 36 inches in diameter that had been cut about 16 inches above the ground, amongst many others that had not been cut. They looked as if they had been cut some time ago. It was getting late and we had a long hike back but we looked around the area kind of quickly for more markings or clues but did not find any. My grandpa suggested if there was in fact a mine close by these trees would be a good size for timber supports inside the mine. He also suggested since they were all the same kind they may have had a high sap content that would help them burn hotter for smelting or for heating the rock inside the mine. Whatever they were cut for, we did not find any logs lying around and would be much to long of a hike for gathering fire wood. Knowing more now and with a better trained eye, I would have looked for other signs such as on rocks or a smelter close by. I suppose the trees could have also had markings on them and were cut down to help conceal the location. I have often wondered if a Spanish mine was close by and if so would they have used materials from the immediate location or would they have gathered them from the surrounding areas to help conceal what they were working on when they weren?t around. Obviously one wouldn?t want to go too far for materials though. Could these be good signs of something possibly close by? If anyone has any suggestions, found or seen similar sites that offered more clues and would like to share that would be great.    -  Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg107354.html#msg107354

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you found stumps chances are they are not 300 yo so Spanish mine is out.  Maybe a mine from the 1800's
Not knowing what kind of tree we are talking about makes it hard as different woods riot at different rates. It sounds like someone harvested some hard wood to sale to a mill.
Want to tell us where this place is, will help with answers. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg107362.html#msg107362

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would certainly be doing more checking out of the area in every way I could find or think about, may be a gooder there Amen

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg107389.html#msg107389

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:50:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Hmmm??. Hadn?t thought about the decomp rate though they did look kind of rough. Guess that could make the area more modern. I will keep that in mind next time I am there and on further explorations also. All I will say on the location for now is, southern Utah mountains, about 8,000 feet in elevation. The types of trees in the area are I believe are fir, spruce, ponderosa pine, and aspen. It would be quite a task to harvest wood out of this location even today. I would imagine there would be easier places to harvest some hard wood. I suppose anything is possible. Outside of this area there weren?t any other trees that appeared to be cut in the same fashion?? A mine from the 1800?s is an interesting possibility. There were many attempts in the surrounding areas during that time, with some doing reasonably well. Maybe someone was trying to open something back up they found and used what was close by. There was much Spanish activity in the area.  Maybe it was just one of grandpa?s wild goose chases. Cheesy One thing is for certain it was time well spent with my dad and grandpa. Those times never came often enough. I will defiantly be doing a better search of the area and surroundings next time as they were cut down for some reason in the rough terrain in the middle-of-no-where.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg107397.html#msg107397

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All I will say on the location for now is, southern Utah mountains,

Yeah that's all we need LOL sorry if it sound like I want a location. Might be workings of an old Spanish mine by newer prospectors. You could be on to something keep us informed.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg107401.html#msg107401

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No worries, I thought as much but still wanted to be polite. I hope to make a trip up there soon after checking out some other locations time permitting. If I do I will post some pictures.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg107419.html#msg107419

Offline dign4it
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

arc-geo mini
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Once a mine and/or treasure room was established, these sites were protected and updated "as needed."  For example, as the original trees (if trees were used) died out (or were blown over by high winds), someone, the sentinel protecting the site, would carve new signs on younger trees, in the same area as these original trees.  I have seen tree stumps at a few sites and it is my opinion that they were the original trees that were in the process of dying.  Once the new signs were established on younger trees, these older trees were cut down.  The use of these younger trees would require a "change" in the signs and symbols used (in comparison to the ones that were carved on the older, original trees) afterall, the symbols used on the original trees would get you "to the site" using those specific trees.  But now we have younger trees, which are not in the same exact spot as the original trees, meaning the measurements have changed, etc.
  In short, I have been to 300 year old treasure room sites that had trees that were carved on in the last 15 to 20 years (the sentinels are still on the job).  The stumps of the original trees were in the immediate area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg111943.html#msg111943

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One thing on the stumps to look at is how they were cut. Really old wood cutting will show axe marks. More recent wood cutting will be 2 man hand saw marks which leave a straighter flat cut. Recent machine cut stumps will bear chainsaw grooves. Those loggers of the 20s and 30s used steam powered draglines (winches) to lower the trees down the mountains. They could cut some serious inclines.

Perhaps what you were exploring was an older mine that had been logged over in the 30s when fewer people cared about gold?

Keep us updated, sounds like a fun adventure Smiley 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg111947.html#msg111947

Offline Photodog
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold bug 2, Infinium LS, Lobo Super Trax
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

I live in Southern Utah and I know the Spanish were mining here as late as 1820. After that Mexian miners may have continued. You may have located a concealed spanish mine there are a few left in Utah. I've possibly located one in Northern Utah also. Have to wait till the snow melts to investigate further. Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg160537.html#msg160537

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:33:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Photo Dog,

Here is a map I boosted off the internet that may help you.
{alt}

You may wish to look for more permanent markers. Take a camera and look at where the sun sets and where it rises. Look for buried springs covered in logs and rocks. With the leaves gone is a good time for this.

There is many references online. Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16744.msg160581.html#msg160581
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z409/CrucesNomad/demap.jpg

The more I learn, the less I know.

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: