[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline JBELLTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:11:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

I am a new member and this my 2nd post. Some question about some things we found on our farm. First off some back ground on the farm the original house was built around 1860 log const. single room with an upstairs it had a natural flowing spring about 200 yards behind the house and was said to have been used by the rail road to keep fresh horses to use during the const. of the rail road in the late 1800 all this ground belonged to the Gov. and was used to cut timbers for the rail road and sold back to the public. What we found was when replacing the floor in the original part of the house ( it had 3 floors built over each other ) the last floor had section approx 3ft wide and 4ft long that was humped up and laying on the dirt flooring below was a silver spoon directly below the hump. my father inlaw being superstition refused to let us dig there and poured a 4 inch concrete slab over the entire floor some years later we used our White metal detector and went over this spot with the detector set to only register gold metals and got a hit the object appears to be approx 2ft long 6 inches wide and slightly curved do the signs warrant jack hammering the floor up ? Secondly I also got a simular hit near the old spring where it use to empty into the creek but it was winter and could not dig it is spring and I can't wait to get at it

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84568.html#msg84568

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Breaking up a perfectly good concrete floor is no small matter. If I were in your shoes, I'd first scan the area again with another metal detector to confirm the presence of gold. If the results are confirmed, jackhammer away! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84596.html#msg84596

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:55:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome JBELL, I can see how that would make a person curious. It's up to the owner of the house to decide if it's worth digging for as they will bear the expense if it turns out to be a false hit though. Curiousity could be expensive unless you are already contemplating a remodel...

Nice post though, sounds like you have a great hunting ground for interesting artifacts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84598.html#msg84598

Offline jaxx
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:27:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

No pain no gain babe, are U looking for gold or what??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84604.html#msg84604

Offline doug m
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:02:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

I would dig the old spring as soon as I could, see whats there. Might be enough to pay for redoing the floor. But definitely dig the spring the floors not going anywhere, but the curiosity will not go anywhere either. good luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84609.html#msg84609

Offline dign4it
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

arc-geo mini
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:13:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

JBELL,
  The arc-geo mini ground imaging unit will allow you to look under the floor without disturbing anything.  If there's something there, it will show up on the read-out.  This way, if you have to dig the floor, you can remove the least amount of concrete.
  The arc-geo mini will also work great at the spring.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84610.html#msg84610

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:55:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey JBELL welcome to the forum.

First I would dig the spring and see what you come up with.
As for the floor is there any story's or legends that lead you to believe there may be treasure there. Do I understand that someone is living in the house if so its a lot of inconveniences to someone to dig up the floor for a piece of RR track.

I don't know a thing about the arc-geo mini, Dign is our resident expert on it. Think I would try that before I started digging.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84618.html#msg84618

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:27:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by JBELL
I am a new member and this my 2nd post. Some question about some things we found on our farm. First off some back ground on the farm the original house was built around 1860 log const. single room with an upstairs it had a natural flowing spring about 200 yards behind the house and was said to have been used by the rail road to keep fresh horses to use during the const. of the rail road in the late 1800 all this ground belonged to the Gov. and was used to cut timbers for the rail road and sold back to the public. What we found was when replacing the floor in the original part of the house ( it had 3 floors built over each other ) the last floor had section approx 3ft wide and 4ft long that was humped up and laying on the dirt flooring below was a silver spoon directly below the hump. my father inlaw being superstition refused to let us dig there and poured a 4 inch concrete slab over the entire floor some years later we used our White metal detector and went over this spot with the detector set to only register gold metals and got a hit the object appears to be approx 2ft long 6 inches wide and slightly curved do the signs warrant jack hammering the floor up ? Secondly I also got a simular hit near the old spring where it use to empty into the creek but it was winter and could not dig it is spring and I can't wait to get at it

I bought a brand new house back in 1990 that developed a leak in the plumbing which was embedded in the concrete sub flooring. I tried to get warranty repair but, lo and behold, the company that built it was no longer in existence. Does that story sound familiar? But I digress.

I pulled up the now very damp carpeting to get to the leak area. Owning a rather substantial compressor, I used an impact tool to break up the concrete and then a torch to cut through the rebar. I had a rectangle about 1.5 yards by 1 yard with the pipe exposed for repair. Afterward, I called a concrete contractor who refilled the hole for me at a whopping cost of $80.00. That was the expense I feared the most. When he was there, he asked me who did the removal and I told him. He said he would have done the entire job for about $150.00 without the plumbing cost which would have needed a plumber. All up, it would have cost me about $250.00 back in 1992. Probably twice that now.

But the lesson I learned is to take advantage of the free quotes offered by tradesmen before I tear into things. You can take the DIY route too far sometimes and make a job much harder than it needs to be. Call and get a quote. Don't tell them why. Just ask them to do the work and how much will it cost. If there is a "pot of gold" down there, you'll never get to it by scratching your head and wondering about it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg84681.html#msg84681

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline rcelada
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:57:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

JBELL welcome to the forum...anyway i agree with  them...go for it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13398.msg85148.html#msg85148

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States