[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Rack ManTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Reading a book that mentions a town (now Ghost Town) called Smokemont...just a bit West of Cherokee, NC. Supposely the Cherokee Indians buried gold and silver bullions in a cave and of course sealed it.  Does anyone have any additional info on this particular "myth"...or is there some truth to this treasure tale.  There is still an old church there and the town is now a campground.

It seems the Cherokees were VERY dominant in this area of WNC and I have heard tales like this before ala Hernando DeSoto...I live in the WNC area...and yes the twenty niners were mining gold here in the Valley River.

Thanks!!  Doc Shocked

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20665.msg137033.html#msg137033

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 06:47:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This one

In Macon County, in southwestern North Carolina, there is a rich deposit of silver somewhere in the Nantahala Mountains that was known to the Cherokee Indians but kept secret from the white men.

The story goes that the first white settlers into the area found an old Indian whom the Cherokee called Sontechee, living at the mouth of a stream, now known as Factory Creek. At that point there was a large shelf of rock, partly covering the entrance to what was once a large cavern in the hillside.

The settlers wondered why the Indian had no squaw and lived apart from the other Indians, and seldom left the caves entrance. Sontechee was highly regarded by the Cherokee and was always supplied with whatever he needed. In tie the settlers learned why he lived alone and at this exact spot.

Sontechee had been selected by his people to guard the cave because somewhere back of the shelf in the mountain was a vast deposit of silver ore. This mine is believed to have been the source of supply for much of the metal used by the Cherokees in the making of various trinkets, which they prized highly.

Not wishing to stir up any trouble with the Cherokees, the early settlers made no attempt to explore the territory around the cave. With the passing of the years, other settlers moved in and took over the Indian lands. Sontechee, the old guardian, died and the mysterious cavern was forgotten.

A few years later a big landslide sealed up the entrance to the cave. Now this time, the finding of the remains of an old smelter, firebox, piles of cinders and large quantities of burned ore that had been buried near the caves entrance, convinced the settlers that the Cherokees had a large mining operation going on for years before the white men came to the area.

On Factory Creek, a short distance from where the entrance was is an ancient water wheel built by the Cherokee Indians, of large hand-hewn logs. It was used to furnish power for the crude crushing of silver ore to be smelted.

Silver has been found in the area in small quantities, maybe if the cave was reopened the rich deposit could be found. So far this has not been attempted by anyone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20665.msg137036.html#msg137036

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That is a GREAT story!  There is also a Silver Mine in Marble, NC (my home) that was actually closed up in the last 60 to 80 years or so.  And yes, the Cherokees mined that particular mine prior to the removal. 

I think the Smokemont story is based on bullion that "might" have been stolen...they mention the sum of $100K....do you think that this story coincides with yours?  The cave being covered is a definite parallel...

I have also heard a story (2nd hand) from a local old timer (a year ago) that when he was hunting in Nantahala he came across a cave that had Conquistor style helmets and weapons.  Have you heard of that one???  It is Fed land...  Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20665.msg137041.html#msg137041

Offline dav
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've hiked the area in question extensively.

The Cherokee were not known for mining anything prior to contact w/ Europeans.
The Cherokee, being a large eastern tribe were one of the first tribes to assimilate, the only tribe with a written language, and the more wealthy of them, which included their leadership (the people hiding the cave), owned the land. They lived in houses with windows and doors, wore clothes, held political office, and lived much the same as the white settlers in their community. They built schools,banks, shops, textile industries, and traded their goods in NY, Charleston, Boston, London and Paris.

They were almost completely assimilated a hundred years before white men moved west from St. Louis.

Hiding a valuable silver mine -- not developing it?
Guarded by an "old indian," instead of employees with guns?

The Great Removal happened in Andrew Jacksons administration.

This sounds like many other "lost mine" stories I've read, and the most suspicious aspect is the depiction of the Cherokee as fools guided by some mysterious ethic that only an "Indian" could understand. A timeline would be valuable in estimating the storys merits.

One other thing, does anyone know of any mine, gold, silver, bauxite, etc that began as a cave? Ever?

It seems reasonable that someone might walk into a cave, see something, and start digging, but I'm not sure that I've ever heard of such a thing other than in a story.

Some of this is just my opinion of course, but the believability is based at least in part on the readers understanding of the Cherokee, or "Indians" in general, as though they are somehow different than everyone else. That makes it suspect (to me)

** Please keep them coming - I love these treasure stories . . . one of these days! **

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20665.msg139789.html#msg139789

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:40:33 pm by dav »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I am part Cherokee was born on a res in New Mexico and as Dav said the Cherokee were a civilized tribe if they hide much of anything before the move west they sent someone back to get it later. There a lot of stories about some of the wealthier ones hiding gold and silver on their own land being afraid or robberies by poorer tribe members or solders. Most of these legends have some truth to them but as for a cave of gold and/or a lost silver mine I have my doubts.   

I have also heard a story (2nd hand) from a local old timer (a year ago) that when he was hunting in Nantahala he came across a cave that had Conquistador style helmets and weapons.  Have you heard of that one??? 
This is a common story in the southwest. There may be a cave somewhere full of armor but you will have to dig though 100's of legends to get to the original one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20665.msg139800.html#msg139800

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:31:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Seldom...I HAVE heard that story in regards to Nantahala...as I live within 20 miles of the gorge.  The story came from a neighbor that heard it from an old timer. Now....in the Cherokee Cty Historical Museum....there IS a Conquistador weapon that was picked out of a well in the Maltby area in 1913.  This person donated/sold the CCHM 20,000 Indian artifacts that he collected over the years living in the Marble area.   Now in the digs of the Peachtree Mound...there were lotsa Spanish articles of interest found.  There is NO doubt that the Spanish were here!  I would assume you are in the WNC area??? 

It would make sense giving the short timeline prior to the Removal that the Cherokees would have hid their valuables and taken ONLY the necessities for travel.  Sure some made it back to reclaim there valueables....some unfortunately did not... Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20665.msg139897.html#msg139897

Offline Sackett
Pull Tab

Prospecting in South Carolina
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gta Ultra 500
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:56:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Lost Silver Mines? In WNC?  Well, why not?  Within just a few miles from Smokemont traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway, just passed a rock formation which the Cherokees named "The Devil's Courthouse", there is a Ridge named "Silver Mine Ridge"... During the War of Northern Aggression, the Confederate Govn. got a lot of it's money from this mine.  Then when the Federal Govn built the Blue Ridge Parkway, they covered the mine over!  That being said there is for fact Silver Mines in the area...Also within a short distance from there, just down Courthouse Creek is what is known as Kiasee Rock.  it was at this rock formation that Kiasee and a small band of his followers, entered into the rock, and came out on the other side, where no white man could follow!!  It is said that Kiasee's band lives on today.  Could this be the lost silver mine of the Cherokee?  Don't know.  But we do know that just a mile or 2 away (as the crow flies) there was a known silver mine!!!  I have hunt hunted all over this country.  In fact my 1st deer hunt was on Silver Mine Ridge when I was 10 years old!!  I have shot deer at the base of Kiasee Rock.  The Federal Govn. now has all these roads closed, so that you can not drive through here anymore, but when I was a kid and we had more freedoms then today, we were allowed to drive back in this country with a 4 x 4...I have spent many days back in those woods, yes there could be lost mines, caves, who knows what back there, that no white man has seen!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20665.msg157710.html#msg157710

...And don't forget, son, there is Someone up above...

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: