[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SpookyTopic starter
Bronze Member

Proud Rhodesian
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

1110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, MXT, Fisher F5, BH SS2
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:34:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.dailyastorian.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=71014&SectionID=23&SubSectionID=783&S=1

Quote:Posted by {author}
by the proliferation of private metal-detector hobbyists, men who spend their weekends tromping over every square meter of countryside listening for metal. Take the enthusiasm that is devoted to finding Japanese glass floats on local beaches after a west wind, then imagine these floats also contain gold coins, and you'll have some idea of the greedy energy that goes into metal detecting.

This is a nightmare for science in most nations. You have only to troll eBay to encounter hundreds of real (and thousands of fake) artifacts plundered from the fields, hillsides and beaches of the Old World. These are nearly all things raped of their original context, degraded into pretty baubles instead of perhaps being vital clues to lost or poorly understood civilizations.

More like: Jealous archaeologists and their ilk, upset that "mere amateurs" are stealing their thunder, and making their overpriced education pointless..
They complain about "destruction and removal of artifacts", and use negativity to bolster their opinions and "defend their territory" when in reality they should be working WITH detectorists.
Sorry about the rant, but more prohibitive restriction has come from jealous archaeologists trying to "protect their jobs" under the guise of "historical context", and resting on their degrees and what they can regurgitate from their READINGS to bully it through.
They even teach classes on this in most palentology and anthropology degree programs.
It is worked into the "grant writing" courses.
Sore spot with me.
 Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98950.html#msg98950

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:42:39 pm by Spooky »

"Gimme foo, gimme fah, gimme Jabajabajabbah!!"

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:52:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There's a TV show I like to watch called Time Team in which presenter Tony Robinson takes an archaeological group on a whirlwind 3 day outing to a number of interesting sites in England. They've limited themselves to those three days by choice but they leave behind the work they have done to local archaeologists for further study and to continue the diggings. In all of their shows, they nearly always have comments about the help that local metal detectorists have been in either finding the original site or helping to find metal during their dig. It's wonderful to see the local detector club working side by side with the Time Team. A fascinating show. After you watch the show a few times, the members of the team become sort of like an extended family willing to get really dirty just to show you what's been left behind by Romans, Saxons and those crazy folks from the Dark Ages. A great show.

Please Register or Login

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/timeteam/

This brings me to my comment. The show Time Team America (based loosely on the British show) is just not as knowledgeable about what detectorists do. They haven't once shown a detectorist on a dig with them and refer to any disturbance in the ground as having been "looted" or to the activity of detectorists as "looting." It makes me quite ill, actually, to recall the number of times clubs I have been in that have offered to work with a local historical society to find artifacts in a town or preservation site. The volunteer hours spent by members for no compensation at all boggles the mind. To be lumped into a group and called a "looter" is just a heinous misuse of the English language. The team on this show raise the hackles on my back.

Please Register or Login

http://www.pbs.org/opb/timeteam/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98953.html#msg98953

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:56:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now now, Spooky, it's an elite thing----you wouldn't understand.   It's just that they KNOW better and CARE more than you, so you should be happy when they liberate you from your misperceptions of your relative roles in society.   Rule Academia!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98955.html#msg98955

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:06:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Now now, Spooky, it's an elite thing----you wouldn't understand.   It's just that they KNOW better and CARE more than you, so you should be happy when they liberate you from your misperceptions of your relative roles in society.   Rule Academia!

Think BA may be in the cough medicine

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98956.html#msg98956

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:16:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have issues with Grave Robbers!

When is it OK to rob a grave?

After 50 years?

100?

1000?

Why is it Archie's can do it and I would get 10 to life?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98957.html#msg98957

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:30:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

because Archies have degrees in the field (and if they ever institute licensing, they'll require a degree to have a license....just as there are politicians in the US that are talking about licensing journalist and stating one of the requirements to be a "licensed" journalist is having a degree in journalism).   We, the great unwashed, have been far too self-sufficient, self-assured, and egalitarian for far too long.  If you don't like it, get a couple of degrees in archeology and get hired on as a professor....then you can loot to your hearts content while you "store" the objects for "study" in your office.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98959.html#msg98959

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I guess that's not going to happen.

I have no wish to rub elbows with the Elite Communist in control of our higher education facilities.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98960.html#msg98960

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Well I guess that's not going to happen.

I have no wish to rub elbows with the Elite Communist in control of our higher education facilities.

I just hope my cousin the archeologist doesn't read my rant.....he's actually a pretty decent guy who would enjoy the company of a lot of the folks who hang out here. 

(As a matter of fact, I was thinking the "journalist/archeologist" who wrote the article that started this would do good to spend some time with some of the members of THunting.com, like toleary34, or Pgill, or johnn, or mcintosh or any of numerous others who want to understand everything there is to learn about the items they unearth and who ask the hard questions about how to best preserve things like ca 1900 axe head.  The writer would learn a thing about the life of history and the thirst for knowledge and understanding....and he'd sure see it wasn't for the money!   And some of them are every bit as meticulous as some archies)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98964.html#msg98964

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:20:21 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:16:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All are not Evil or just bad.

But I am convinced the higher education system has become what my father and I fought to repel.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98968.html#msg98968

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:58:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, higher education is a lot like Wikipedia. It's a good place to start but never, ever take what you read as the last word. There's always something new to be learned and you don't learn it by reading the limits of other research. You create and do your own and, if you are willing to help, you contribute your findings.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15399.msg98983.html#msg98983

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: