[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline rebelgtpTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 25, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

While I have trouble believing in things like finding treasure and the like with dowsing I suppose part of me has to believe it.  The well on my property and the well on my Aunts property were both found by my great uncle who use to dowse for fresh water wells all the time.  In fact there are 2 dozen or more wells in this town that he found.  I kind of wish that I could have witnessed the process with my own eyes.

Granted the same man also use to run a still or three.  When I turned 21 one of my first drinks of the day was from an old bottle of his moon shine.   Shocked

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg102097.html#msg102097

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:32:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What do you want to bet there are 500 dry holes to his credit, too? The trouble with human nature is that we tend to remember the positive things and make excuses for the negative things. Dowsers can and do find wells. But so did a horse named Dobby my great uncle had. He swore by that horse and his ability to find water. After my great uncle had gone to his reward, it was discovered that his land stood over an aquifer that covered more than 200 hectares. My great aunt still talked about Dobby until she passed on even after knowing how he did it.

Do I believe in dowsing? Absolutely not. During a recent test with James Randy, a blindfolded dowser couldn't locate a working wellhead. He went past it twice and stopped at an apple tree. After 200 feet of drilling, still dry as a bone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg102104.html#msg102104

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:34:36 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline rebelgtpTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 06:03:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah I have no clue how many dry holes he hit.  According to my aunt he hit her well first try, no clue about the one here.  I just find it amusing that I have a "dowser" in the family.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg102105.html#msg102105

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:52:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have little to NO faith in dowsing!

I can take a map or photo and tell you within 70% were to find gold.

But yet I have seen someone find water on properties that do not have water or spotty.

Here in New Mexico up next to the Florida Mtns, Due to the Intrusive Up Lift formation you can have water at 100ft in on place and No Water what so ever 2 tenths of a mile away.

I have seen someone find water were no one else could.

Go Figure! Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg102168.html#msg102168

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was 9 yrs old when I first read about dowsing and decided to give it a try. My dad saw me walking about the plantation with forked stick in hand and asked me what I was doing. Hearing that I was trying to detect water, he said that if you dig enough holes and dig deep, you will eventually find water, and that I was better off spending time learning about soils and fertilizer mixtures. On the evening of that same day began my introduction into agriculture.

Decades later, I still keep an open mind about dowsing. I may not be able to dowse worth a hoot and there are obviously many pretenders who claim to have the ability, but until we fully understand the limits of human capability, I'd not rule out such abilities.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg103232.html#msg103232

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline metdetdist
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Garrett, Whites
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:07:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I tried dowsing on a few occasions. First time I used two bent rods made from clothes hangers. The idea of the rods crossing over a metal target, is not always so. In my case the rods actually did the opposite..............swinging away from eachother. It was strange, but I did get a reaction after all. I tried with professional rods and pendulums but never found anything. HOWEVER, there are people that contrary to popular belief, seem or should I say DO have the ability to get a positive reaction out of dowsing rods. About 15 years ago, during the NYTHL club hunt, a guy from upstate NY, John Martinsen, showed us his abilities. 10 upside down paper cups were placed on a table, with one containing a large gold ring. John was able to locate it immediately under the correct cup. Non believers kept on moving and switching cups around. In 7 tries he located the correct cup 6 times out of 7, and was one cup away on the last try. The ring was removed from the scene, now in my pocket. When John tried to locate it under one of the cups, he was not able to. Somewhat proving the point....................no target - no find.
Not a scientific experiment, but ........................... Does dowsing really work ? I think it can in various degrees for some people. I have not given up. Ettore   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg103245.html#msg103245

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:04:20 pm by seldom »
Offline DevoutOccamist
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 03:09:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I believe dowsing for water works.  After all, in most of the US, most of the water table is less than 50 feet down. Dig deep enough and you'll find water.
I also believe if you dowse for bedrock, you'll find that too.

Once, the best dowser in the area dowsed for buried telephone cable so we could dig a foundation.  He located it 20 feet away, so we started digging and cut the friggin' cable.  So we were out his fee and the repair costs.

Sorry, but dowsing is as just as successful as holding a seance, praying or swinging a crystal.  Which is to say; not at all.

DevoutOccamist

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg109607.html#msg109607

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:23:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dowsing for water works.  I can't say about minerals, but the most successful well digger here in town will walk your property with dowsing rods and when he says "this is where the well needs to go," that's where you let him drill and he'll hit water.  Guaranteed.  Every time.  If he can't douse water on your property, he'll tell you so and he'll walk away from the job.  He's bored 3 wells for me over the last 10 years on various properties, and he's dowsed for the spot every time.  In all cases I ended up with a well instead of a dry hole.  I'm a believer, because I've seen it in action and even tried it myself because I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him do it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg109611.html#msg109611

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 04:10:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When it comes to water witching, I don't dare question it.  My wife used to go out with her grandpa and "witch" the depth after he'd witch the location.   Given the fact that she was a pre-teen at the time, I'm inclined to take her word for it.   (besides if I don't, she won't be very happy and if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg109616.html#msg109616

Offline Gold24K
Copper Member

Gold is healing
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Home build PI
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

After hearing of several MFD's and trying one that was made by that guy in Florida I built several signal generators and trying my hand at it. I could always find where one of my friends had hid a coin or whatever but was never able to find anything that someone in the group didn't know were it was. I have also gone out many times with dowsers who supposed had all the rules down pat on finding treasure or mines by dowsing. I probably went out on at least 50 trips - ALL dry holes. My one dowser friend had dug over 200 dry holes in one 6 month period here in Arizona looking for treasure.

On the other hand I have a professional dowser who can find water, tell the depth, flow rate, etc. and has never missed getting water and usually within a small percent of the depth, and flow rate.

So I know it works for water. Of course our bodies are 80% water so we are living in a body that is highly attuned to water. Now if our bodies were mostly gold maybe we could find gold just as easily. javascript:void(0);

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15900.msg112241.html#msg112241

Gold24K

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: