[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline paulim7Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

F5
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I recently purchased a Fisher F5. I am new to the field and prior to the F5 I had a no name simple two button $50.00 detector. I have read the guide ( four times now) and used the F5 several times so far. I am having trouble with it operating properly. I have listed several issues questions I hope to have resolved.

1. The F5 beeps all the time nearly on every setting. Even when there is a "strong" return I go back and there is nothing? I end up digging up the whole beach.

2. When I do get a steady beep I dig up the spot and find nothing. Then the detector indicates the spot is next to where I just dug. I dig again and the same thing happens. It seems like the target is moving?

3. In using the "bulls eye" some times it works but usually when I push it I do get a strong return but I get it everywhere. Instead of narrowing the target area it makes it huge?

I am hoping someone out there can offer a few tips for the settings. I am sure the detecor is operating properly and it is just me. I spent $500.00 for this thing and my old one worked fine hear a sound and dig and there it is! I know the environment is a huge factor but maybe some basic settings someone has used I could adopt as well? Please do NOT offer the obvious i.e. read the guide as you can see I have already done that several times. And please don't suggest using my old one.

Thanks for any help. :-)

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25190.msg174485.html#msg174485

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Paulin7, It sounds like you need to ground balance the machine,

1)  turn the gain / sensitivity about a 1/3 of the way up now turn the ground balance to the right while pumping the coil up and down
     at a slowish pace, if you hear noise as you lower the coil to the ground then turn the ground knob the other way slowly
     until the noise goes away, now if it makes a noise as you raise the coil then turn it the other way, what you are looking for is
     just a slight noise as you lower the coil when you have done this then turn your gain up until the machine starts to chatter
     then back it off just a touch so it stops chattering the you are good to go, If you still have problems then give me a call
     on this thread then we will try something else, make sure your coil plug is tight and that the coil lead is wound like they say
     in the manual,  Good Luck

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25190.msg174489.html#msg174489

Offline paulim7Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

F5
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:14:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok I'll give it a try thanks for the advice!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25190.msg175329.html#msg175329

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male