[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SvenSTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro, Detectorpro, Mirage PI (my own)
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:06:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

There were a couple times I assembled the 10.5" coil on the Edge and took it back off, thinking my forearm and elbow were going to revolt during a hunt.
The 10.5" coil was pulled off and and the 8" or 6" was put back on. It's no secret that I prefer the 6" over the 8"...............

Yesterday, made the decision to actually see if the 10.5" coil is going to do any damage one way or another. Slapped it onto the detector, grabbed my sand scoop
and walk to the beach. It was cold, burrrrrr about 48 degrees with a wind of 20 mph blowing in off the lake. Turned on the Edge and ground balanced it and proceeded to detect.
First thing I noticed is that the coil is quiet at max sensitivity and didn't get a signal for some time. The beach is pretty well hunted to death to begin with. Then a pc. of large foil, several bottle caps, silence then a few more pcs of foil. Finally several pennies.

During the hunt every now and then, would start to get a signal when my 6" hand held scoop was dangling by my side. Had to keep it behind my back. Out of curiosity swung the scoop across the coil from 2' way. It picks it up loud and clear from 3' away. This coil will make a great relic machine and could easily detect a jar of coins at some serious depth. Proven out when several good sound targets when 16" of sand was scooped out and the target was even deeper that I gave up looking for it with the small scoop.

After about 1 hour found a spot that started to produce some claddage, key, bottle caps and some foil. Several things were noticed, this coil hits coins very feep, coins were popping out of the 10"-12" depth range that were sounding off loudly in disc mode. Did not find any nails, pulltabs. My disc acceptance is set at -30 to hear everything target response. Pretty easy now to determine if it was a modern Canadian clad coin at depth, decent loud repeatable signal in disc mode. In pinpoint mode the loudness determined depth. Anything down to the 12" depth gave a faint signal meter depth indication of 2 to 12 when dug was a coin.

Biggest problem was pinpointing with is coil, which it did not do. Some pinpointing practice was in order. It just would not pinpoint correctly, not even as accurate as the 6 or 8"
coil which the target could be centered with pinpoint accuracy. I am now not liking this coil, would be terrible in a schoolyard game field. Finally a method was found to pinpoint accurately when it was determined the 10.5" Edge coil is not a concentric in design, it's a DD search coil. Started to pinpoint like I would do using a DD. Center the target, then pull the coil backwards off the target, when the target sound went away, the target was at the front tip of the coil.

Conclusions, this coil makes the Edge a great beach hunter which can cover a large area much faster and get coins at a greater depth than I normally would. I need to bring my long handled scoop. I now will prefer this coil for beach hunting. Best off all, my arm and elbow joint were able to handle a couple hour hunt with no hurt and there is no pain today. Will need to go back to several schoolyards that produced lots of coins down to the 5-7" range and see what I may have missed. Haven't found one silver coin this year with any of my detectors. Still finding this is one of the best detectors for hunting modern Canadian clad coins. Has no problems finding US coins!! Too bad many people gave up on their Edge too soon, it really does grow on you.

Yesterdays goodies included deep coins:
1 Loonie
6 quarters
2 nickels
3 dimes
12 pennies
1 key on a fob
spinning top tip

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28090.msg199411.html#msg199411

FREE Classic & Vintage Detector Catalog Downloads
Plus a whole lot more. Build my own PI's.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

www.treasurelinx.com

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: