[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The geologic structure in question appears to be a mudstone conglomerate extinct volcano (background of photo P1000112.jpg). I estimate it to be about 70 feet high. There are seashell fragments embedded in the mudstone conglomerate at lower levels near the base, and it is the only structure poking out from the mangrove area. I surmise that it rose from the sea bed and/or was exposed due to tectonic plate upheaval/dropping water levels.

This may be a tough question for anyone to answer without analyzing rock samples, but normally speaking do such volcanoes bring up any minerals or gems worthwhile of extraction?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115573.html#msg115573

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1000107.jpg
P1000112.jpg
P1000113.jpg

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:12:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've never heard of a mudstone conglomerate extinct volcano with shells in it. Most likely you have a pipe of limestone with fossilized shells in it. All volcanoes leave igneous rock pipes with minerals like gold in them but never shells. Nature of the beast.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115614.html#msg115614

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:02:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I've never heard of a mudstone conglomerate extinct volcano with shells in it. Most likely you have a pipe of limestone with fossilized shells in it. All volcanoes leave igneous rock pipes with minerals like gold in them but never shells. Nature of the beast.

Here's the thing: the visible bits of seashells are found near the base. They aren't seen further up that structure, though I'd not exclude the possibility that there may be more shells present further up hidden within the rocks.

I climbed barehanded up as high as I could (approx 15 feet up from a lumpy portion that protruded from what I can best describe as the base of the structure) onto a ledge, and pulled up the Nokta. As the ledge was not wide, I ground balanced the machine on the rock above my head (which rose at an approx 50-60 degree angle) as I leaned out and away from the ledge, no easy feat considering the damned weight of the detection head and rod. The ledge was scanned thrice with similar results: gold and cavity. Being wary of possibly false results due to the unsatisfactory ground-balancing done, I keep my reservations on the scans' accuracy. I wasn't the first one there though (see attached photo). Someone had left behind a makeshift cooking implement fashioned from a powdered milk tin and some thick wire. Whatever they were trying to cook, I doubt it was food.

Anyways, one day I shall return to the spot with mountaineering gear and rock picks. If there's more seashells up there, then limestone pipe it is. If some enthusiastic rock bashing produces the yellow stuff, hooray!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115621.html#msg115621

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

P1000122.jpg

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:06:00 am by Hobbyist, Reason: Edited some typos »

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:43:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Your climb was quite ambitious. Was there any igneous rock up there or was it more crumbling limestone? It would be a very odd rock formation if igneous was atop limestone and shells.

Do you trust the readings on the Nokta?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115634.html#msg115634

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Been scanning through the HD vids I made for good shots of the rock. Attached is a still frame from the base of the structure. Is that limestone? Was rushing under a time constraint; had to leave the place before big seas hit the area at 3PM, would have swamped the small boat, and I had minerals on the brain. Didn't bother taking photos of the seashell bits, but in the upper center of the frame, there seems to be the apex of a gastropod's shell embedded in the whitish rock.

The rock on the ledge and above it is very tough. Repeated hard blows using a sandak (basically it's a flat blade of tough steel welded on a pipe handle we use to chop through tree roots before digging) only resulted in small chips and scratches and a blunted sandak edge. Please refer to photo P1000120.jpg. That triangular stone was found in the leaf litter and debris that had collected on that ledge (the ledge is roughly concave). Before any of you Yam hunters say it, NO that is not a treasure sign! Both triangular stone and the underlying rock surface are of equal hardness and are not the least bit crumbly.

As for the Nokta's readings in this case, no I do not trust them entirely. The machine has proven itself in soils, but has yet to do so on rock.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115649.html#msg115649

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

P1000120.jpg
rock closeup.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:15:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

What kind of rock do you think it's made from? The hard rock, that is. The seashell encrusted crumbly rock is no doubt rotted limestone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115847.html#msg115847

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline tndirtdigger
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:51:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

The pics make it difficult to tell exactly what kind of rock it is. But from what you've described I believe you're looking at a sedimentary rock (the fracturing looks off for limestone but it's difficult to tell from the pics). And as far as your original question...yes, volcanic activity does produce gems and valuable metals. It depends on it's composition, depth, and rate of cooling. Here in East TN (and western NC) we commonly see out cropping's of and weathered fields of gems (ruby's etc.) from skarns.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115852.html#msg115852

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:39:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
What kind of rock do you think it's made from? The hard rock, that is. The seashell encrusted crumbly rock is no doubt rotted limestone.

I'm totally unfamiliar with that kind of hard rock; first time I ever seen it in Borneo. In past decades I've mainly stuck to the inland regions and it's only this year that I'm exploring the coastal portions. The whitish rock/rotted limestone was only seen at the base of the structure. I've submitted the same photos to a geology forum in hope of more opinions. I may avail of the university's geology dept after I return next month and hack off some sample pieces of rock.

Quote:Posted by tndirtdigger
The pics make it difficult to tell exactly what kind of rock it is. But from what you've described I believe you're looking at a sedimentary rock (the fracturing looks off for limestone but it's difficult to tell from the pics). And as far as your original question...yes, volcanic activity does produce gems and valuable metals. It depends on it's composition, depth, and rate of cooling. Here in East TN (and western NC) we commonly see out cropping's of and weathered fields of gems (ruby's etc.) from skarns.

Thank you for your input, and I can understand it's hard to tell anything with absolute certainty from photos. There is one more facet to this area which I did not divulge before: I was brought to the place by a weathered old boatman. His son and him had explored the base of the structure before, and the 29 year old son had found a translucent red rock. His son took the rock home with them, fell into a coma that evening and died without regaining consciousness 3 days later. Typical of some communities here, they rely on traditional shaman's cures and eschew hospitals. The boatman blamed evil spirits for the death and returned the red rock to the place of origin. With due respect to others' cultural beliefs and norms, I find that hard to swallow. The young man could have been exposed to anything ranging from leptospirosis (rat urine disease) to radiation poisoning. Have volcanoes been known to emit radioactive material?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17935.msg115957.html#msg115957

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: