[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

technos, wiki( iron ore )and look down about 3 paragraph

"Metallic iron is virtually unknown on the surface of the Earth except as iron-nickel alloys from meteorites and very rare forms of deep mantle xenoliths. Therefore, all sources of iron used by human industry exploit iron oxide minerals, the primary form which is used in industry being hematite."

phs.
sasha, I took a virtural tour of Armenia today and it looks like a place I would like to visit.

I am especially interested in historic monastic ruins which Armenia has plenty of.

In USA the state and Federal lands are completely restricted from metal detecting. Most lands here are private and the only restrictions is permission from the land owner which is sometimes hard to get.

I would be intersted in treasure hunting around old caravan routes especially. I read a book "Miracle of Gold" by Jennifer Marx. She said that in the Hellenistic age the armies were paid with loot as they traveled through the country and when the loot got too heavy to carry the soldiers would bury it along the way intending to come back for it. Many got killed and never came back.  Somewhere in along the Tigris there is a region she called the "golden road" because so much treasure was buried along this route. Alexander the Great used this route as did Xerxes. I know you know all this because you live there and I have wanted to look in that area ever since I read this book.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72369.html#msg72369

Offline technos
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites eagle spectrum
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
technos, wiki( iron ore )and look down about 3 paragraph

"Metallic iron is virtually unknown on the surface of the Earth except as iron-nickel alloys from meteorites and very rare forms of deep mantle xenoliths. Therefore, all sources of iron used by human industry exploit iron oxide minerals, the primary form which is used in industry being hematite."

phs.
sasha, I took a virtural tour of Armenia today and it looks like a place I would like to visit.

I am especially interested in historic monastic ruins which Armenia has plenty of

Lodestone/magnetite, which has iron oxides in it, is relatively plentiful. Let's not forget that all the material they make steel from comes from some surface mine! The wikipedia article may need to be changed to reflect that. Regardless, you need to take bright, clear, white-balanced pictures of the rock and email them to the geophysicist who runs the "meteorwrong" website so it can be determined definitively whether it is a meteor or not. In my view of the dark fuzzy picture that I can see, it does not have the surfuce features of a meteorite. I spent a lot of time researching one of my own "meteorwrongs!" It turned out to be mining slag, which seems to be everywhere and is fooling a lot of people!

A trip to Armenia sounds like a blast! It may be a while before I can afford that though!  Undecided 

Edit: i sure would enjoy seeing a copy of your PI design and pictures of the detector you built posted over at the geotech1.com forums!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72388.html#msg72388

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:45:00 pm by technos »
Offline stanbo43
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 11:09:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Also we have a very similar type of rock here called --ironstone--very heavy--and was mined to extract the iron, and is the same orange -red colour.  The fossils as i have said in another thread are i think are mid -late cretatious---65 to 90 million years old.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72474.html#msg72474

Offline sashaTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Armenia

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 04:09:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes, Armenia is very rich of historical events! We can see everywhere evidence of events of different periods , that discribed in literature.
 And there are many dig out  treasures we can see in museums and collections.
 Of course here are very strong restrictions for metal detecting near historical cultural objects.

The other aspect is the extremely high mineralization of ground in searching areas. We can meet here a lot of hot stones like  tuff (VLF sounds like metal ), intermixed with a hard basalts together, that contrariwise contain up to 3% iron oxides( like ferrite).
Only good PI detectors, or VLFs with a few frequency may work here in the most places.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72568.html#msg72568

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 07:15:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Technos, You are right he needs to take it to a meteor expert to find out what it is.
Sasha, One way to distinguish magnetite from iron is to crush it. magnetite crushes to a powder like pyrite, iron, like gold does not.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72663.html#msg72663

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Armenia

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 07:40:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

I am in Moscow now, in trip. When I will come back to home, I'll try to make testing for them.
 It is interesting, in armenian language "iron" sounds like "erkat", Erknki-Kat, verbatim: "sky-drop". There are many other languages in world, where iron is synonim of meteorite.
May be  the first native iron weapons was made of iron meteorite?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72797.html#msg72797

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1030705_1.jpg

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:51:02 am by sasha »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sasha, I think "may be the first native iron weapons was made of iron meteorites" is probably a pretty good theory.   Perhaps one of the readers with more archeology or more metal working background will enlighten us.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72884.html#msg72884

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Armenia

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 04:47:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bitburg, this theory is in fact that instead complicated technology (for natives)  of getting  iron from ore, the simple  hammering  searched out  meteorite.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72914.html#msg72914

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 04:57:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's also possible.  I was just following the line of thought that since the archeologist tell us they already had experience working with bronze which would require smelting copper and tin, working with meteorite iron might not be a big leap.    Do we have any examples of hammered iron similar to the hammered native gold, copper, and silver? or would all of those have already rusted away?   It would be interesting to find out, would it not?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72915.html#msg72915

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 07:33:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BitBurgAggie, You are right,  I read somewhere that meteoric iron was used by the Egyptians before the bronze age. The ancients knew how to work gold. The Egyptians had a lot of gold smithing before they learned to smelt copper. It isn't hard to believe that some smith got hold of a meteorite and used his smith skills to make iron objects. The two objects I have heard about are an iron pin with a gold head from Mesopotamia and a iron bladed gold handled dagger from the tomb of an Egyptian king. Iron was much rarer than gold and was worth more.  Both dated before the smelting bronze or iron. Iron artifacts survive in a dry climate like found in Egypt and Iraq. Especially Meteoric iron which contains nickel. The nickel protects the iron from rusting otherwise we wouldn't find many old Iron-nickel meteorites.

Sasha, why are you in Moscow? Is it about rocks? I don't know about the origin of the English word iron. It could be Sanskrit?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11153.msg72934.html#msg72934

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: