[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 12:57:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thundereggs are a mud matrix outside covering an agate center. Never know just what they will look like inside. I'll post a pic of some cut when I get a chance. The hollow version is called a geode and usually filled with crystals.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg55951.html#msg55951

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 02:52:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
A view from the top of the Owyhees near Silver City. It rained, hailed, snowed and shown sunny that day! Good ol Idaho weather. Gold, Silver, and Cinnabar there as well as crystals and such.

Some obsidian from Glass Mountain in Oregon, sheen, rainbow, ribbon, and brown. Used to do a little flint knapping back in the day. These were gathered in the late 70s and it was everywhere, last time I was there in the 90s it was a little more picked over.

Some thundereggs from the Lucky Strike Thunderegg mine in the Ochaco forest central Oregon. Also gathered in the 70s although I believe its still as plentiful today.

Very nice photos... I have to thank you profusely, for  the obsidian picture, because I have a rock claim, for soapstone, that is also supposed to have obsidian.... trouble is, I have seen lots of obsidian, but never on the ground, as it were. This helps me know what to look for.

The thunder egg collection have you ever cut any of them?? Have you seen the ones cut and uploaded pictures, of same, on this forum?? From Patagonia.

I have been plotting a trip to collect some thunder eggs, that I have known about for 35 years, but could not get to.... no trails or roads. Now there are roads and I want some! My only other (relatively close) source is on top a mountain in the Kemess Mine area, easily 350 mi, as the crow could have flown, from here. Now, there you are with a ton of the little blighties!  Shocked

Please say you have cut some and show us some pictures  Kiss

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56245.html#msg56245

goldigger

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 03:42:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep I have some cut and polished eggs, and I will post some pix soon.

I'll see if I can find some unchipped obsidian in the pile, as it has a dull rough exterior usually when undamaged. It kind of looks like basalt but duller and more rounded when unbroken.

Glad you enjoyed the pix Smiley The lucky Strike is owned or was once owned by my great uncle, not sure if he still is there or not. He was a rockhound like no other  Grin   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56252.html#msg56252

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 04:10:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep I have some cut and polished eggs, and I will post some pix soon.

I'll see if I can find some unchipped obsidian in the pile, as it has a dull rough exterior usually when undamaged. It kind of looks like basalt but duller and more rounded when unbroken.

Glad you enjoyed the pix Smiley The lucky Strike is owned or was once owned by my great uncle, not sure if he still is there or not. He was a rockhound like no other  Grin  

Basalt, as arrow and lance heads, I have seen by the ton but, in these chip beds, there is never any obsidian, strange?  Shocked

The Spatzizi Plateau, N.West of here, had a big obsidian mine, for God knows how long, maybe thousands of years. It was traded into central Canada and probably a long way south. But, I can find NO information on where this mine is situated even tho it is mentioned in BC tourism blurbs!

I have also seen a lot of basalt that looks like black or dark gray sponge! Between Iskut and Dease Lake BC, there are probably thousands of acres of it. Some of it has amygdules and there is an old lava flow at Bulkley, just riddled with amygdules.... may be similar to the sources of agates, locally, (Glacial only,) a lot of which are freed amygdules.

I have been a rockhound since I could walk, much to my mothers exasperation!

What I have been seeing on this forum has encouraged me to try and put up a small shed to install some rock handling equipment.... we have 4.5 A, here but it is all hillside! We also have a summer time, farmers market where I could sell a few pieces... I would not get rich but it would be fun.

Next summer WILL be different!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56255.html#msg56255

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brian, that sounds great! Will you dig into the hillside and pour a concrete slab or put three sides on stilts? I wish I had that many acres to play with. It's been a long time since I had acres to play with. I want acres. No more aches, just acres. Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56266.html#msg56266

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 05:28:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The ol homestead here is 40 acres, 20 of which is not farmed so lotta room for rocks Smiley

My folks were heavily into rocks for a long time and most of the piles were collected on expeditions when I was younger. I was always more of a relic hunter but I found a few good rocks over the years too.

Craft fairs and rock shows are all over here if you have the inclination to travel. Most of the folks there didn't look too rich but I think they were having fun Smiley

Glass Mountain as I recall it was just a huge splatter of obsidian. Some on the surface and some in pockets underground with some big ol hunks laying all over.

I recently found a congregation of tiny bits of obsidian out in the desert. So much that I decided there must be a larger amount nearby. I scoured the whole area but never found a main source or a piece larger than a dime. I am now thinking perhaps it was a meeting sight where trading and knapping was done leaving traces all over. Next year I plan on going back to look for camp sign.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56273.html#msg56273

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 05:53:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Brian, that sounds great! Will you dig into the hillside and pour a concrete slab or put three sides on stilts? I wish I had that many acres to play with. It's been a long time since I had acres to play with. I want acres. No more aches, just acres. Cheesy

It belongs to my sis and bro-in-law (neestaw,) and cement is TOO expensive and too permanent, but we have a siple alternative used a couple times already: this area was a huge freshwater lake, 18,000 yrs ago so underneath, it is mainly marine clay and chunks of sandstone. We have discovered 30 inch steel stakes! They have a square socket, on the top that takes a 4x4 treated green post (copper napthanate pressure treated,) the stake has a 6x6 or 8x8in square plate, just under the socket, so it does not sink.

These stakes are thin looking, but hard to drive, even with a 14 lb fence post maul. Even so, one can make a good platform or ground level shed. We already used  them for a small greenhouse (hothouse to you,) which is 30 inches off the ground on the downhill side, even though it is only about 8 feet wide. The entire hill is not that steep, tho.  Kiss

I have all kinds of alternators so running a power-line is not a hitch.... water IS. We use a cistern and fill it from a pond and a *well,* which is really another natural cistern... of course this water is not used for human intake, it serves for laundry and flushing..... never drink it, too much cadmium. For human intake we use rain water (or buy 20 litre jugs,) mostly for cooking, coffee and tea.  Grin

I also want to do some photo-voltaics.

It is iffy, sometimes, especially if it does not rain, as we use about 1200 imperial gallons (5500litres) in 5 weeks....  Shocked

When I go into the bush, I take some bottled water, a couple dozen de-alcoholized beer, and a 20 litre jug, which I fill ONLY with running water (avoids beaver fever and giardia,) and use this for cooking. I used to drink the river water, without boiling,  but got sick, one summer, so since then, I will only use fast flowing, icy mountain stream water, for direct consumption. Even that could be iffy in June, July and August. (The same months it is recommended NOT to eat shellfish, on the coast.)

I used to do this almost every summer, but lately it has been every 2 or 3 years.... must be getting old?

goldigger
The ol homestead here is 40 acres, 20 of which is not farmed so lotta room for rocks Smiley

My folks were heavily into rocks for a long time and most of the piles were collected on expeditions when I was younger. I was always more of a relic hunter but I found a few good rocks over the years too.

Craft fairs and rock shows are all over here if you have the inclination to travel. Most of the folks there didn't look too rich but I think they were having fun Smiley

Glass Mountain as I recall it was just a huge splatter of obsidian. Some on the surface and some in pockets underground with some big ol hunks laying all over.

I recently found a congregation of tiny bits of obsidian out in the desert. So much that I decided there must be a larger amount nearby. I scoured the whole area but never found a main source or a piece larger than a dime. I am now thinking perhaps it was a meeting sight where trading and knapping was done leaving traces all over. Next year I plan on going back to look for camp sign.

That mountain sounds like one in central America (or was it Mexico?) where Josh Bernstein was doing some archeological filming. He took the camera right into one of the ancient tunnels, while outside, the obsidian lay everywhere. A lot of it had big white or gray bands and lots of spots. That obsidian was in what looked like a yellow clay, which probably was volcanic ash, when it was laid down.

That is the thing about the Spatzizi Plateau.... it is very volcanic. As well, the Kemess Mine area is supposed to consist of ancient lava domes, the non-eruptive kind, that cause much mineralization, as in gold and other hydro-thermally deposited metals. Some of those domes have thunder eggs, but you need a helicopter!  Grin

I do know, from past experience, you do not need fancy, expensive lapidary equipment, to work with, a cheap washing machine motor and a saw arbour can make a slabbing saw, as well, a double ended grindstone, fitted with the correct rock grind stones works well... just make sure the bearings are protected. If you want to facet, THEN buy the right machine, but for cabs, flats and simple settings, the above equipment will do, if you add a small (4 or 5 in) diamond wet saw, (like a tile cutter.)  Kiss

I would even buy a simple lap wheel to try my hand at cutting quartz crystals for radio use.  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56277.html#msg56277

goldigger

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 05:19:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here's a couple more pix

Ribbon obsidion note the rough brown exterior.

Thunder eggs cut and polished

A geode

The trickiest part of a rock saw is figuring out the feed. Maybe if you put the arbor on a swing arm and let gravity pull the blade down. Our saw uses a worm drive to move the rock through the blade but its a little complex to build without some machining tools.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56402.html#msg56402

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

eggs1.jpg
geode.jpg
obsidian.jpg

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 03:15:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here's a couple more pix

Ribbon obsidion note the rough brown exterior.

Thunder eggs cut and polished

A geode

The trickiest part of a rock saw is figuring out the feed. Maybe if you put the arbor on a swing arm and let gravity pull the blade down. Our saw uses a worm drive to move the rock through the blade but its a little complex to build without some machining tools.

Ah! More pictures to add to my slide show-screen saver! Great!

The saw I used, years ago, and home-made, was made in a 10 (Imperial) gallon gas barrel, with part, cut and hinged, for a cover (about 1/4 of the barrel,) The rock clamp/holder swung to the saw, which sat at the barrel center, cross-wise so the bearings and drive pulley were outside. The holder had a very light cable which ran though a hole in the back end, over a small pulley and down to a small weight like a little bucket with a few rocks, so you can refine the (pull) weight.

Inside the barrel, the saw  blade sat flat wise to the sides, with the bottom edge of the blade sitting in varsol.... of course, at that time there was no controversy over whether one should use varsol, or use anti-freeze.

A little trick, for mounting a piece to cut, if it was difficult to clamp, was to set the piece into a small box and pour in plaster of Paris, when set, there is now a rectangular shape to clamp.

Such a saw is cheap and simple but I have not seen a 10  gallon barrel for 40 years! A grease barrel might work, but they are much bigger, by twice. If you want to protect the bearings from grit, they have to be outside the barrel, because that coolant flies everywhere! A grease barrel would require an arbour about 24 inches long!

I have a 12 inch diamond blade, just waiting for a saw to appear under it, and I can get tile cutter blades (7.5 inch) cheap..... they are thicker, but if I want fine cuts, I will buy a couple of thin rock blades.  Cool

Right now, making slabbing saws is moot, it is snowing blue blazes..... we have had 12 inches and are only supposed to have 8 in! Then tonight, it is supposed to RAIN! What a mess.... I thought I might blow snow, tomorrow, but after the rain, it is supposed to be +4C, and snow blowers do  NOT blow wet snow.  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56508.html#msg56508

goldigger

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 05:26:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A guy might be able to use a couple rubbermaid totes instead of a barrel. The weight system gravity feed sounds like a great way to move the work through the blade. I also like the plaster idea for mounting difficult stones. It can ruin a blade if one comes loose and catches.

Winter time is the best time for plotting and planning because there is little else to do  Grin we had some snow yesterday but today I am back in a tshirt! Unfortunately it wont last...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8849.msg56530.html#msg56530

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: