[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline PaulP_WestKYTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GTI 2500
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:44:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm thinking about getting the 12.5" imaging coil for my GTI 2500. From what I've read it gives better performance in mineralized soil (not a problem for me) and helps detect larger targets at greater depth. My main interests are coins, jewelry, and smaller relics such as buttons and medallions.

My question is will this coil give me significantly greater depth on coins, jewelry and other smaller targets? My intuitive guess is that it probably should, but any input from those who are already using it will be greatly appreciated.

HH

Paul P.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17426.msg112128.html#msg112128

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 03:13:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Any larger coil will give you greater depth but also has the drawback of a bit harder pinpointing. Using the word significant when asking leads me to believe you are looking for a doubling of the depth from the standard coil. A formula known as the inverse square will help you in this but it's not straight forward enough to explain the mathematics of it all. Generally speaking, the power of the field diminishes by the inverse of the square of the distance from the source. The same rule applies when increasing the signal. The signal diminishes based on the size of the coil and the greater power. Simplified, doubling the coil size means about 25% more depth. Tripling it means about 40% more depth. Increasing the power is the key to the depth issue but the time it takes for a field to build up will throw a huge delay into the mix making it something you don't want to do.

Yes, you get more depth. Significant? If it allows you that extra half inch to find a ring, that is quite significant. If it allows you three inches extra to find that large cent, yes. If you can find a tin can at 2 feet, that's quite significant but rather useless.

Your depth will increase significantly if you slow down your sweep pattern and overlap your sweeps. My granddaughter once described it perfectly. When I told her to slow down her sweep and listen very carefully, she said "You're right, Grandpa. When I squint my ears, I can hear tiny things."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17426.msg112238.html#msg112238

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gti2500
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Romania
Referrals: 0

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GTI 2500
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:28:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

using 12'' coil you'll get better deep but also your garrett will miss thin objects. as i know from manuals and web demos is good to scan first with default coil 9'' after everything is clear you can change the coil and redo the field again.

have a great day

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17426.msg217048.html#msg217048

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: