[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:38:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I used those older Garrett detectors for what seems like forever.  Found a lot of good stuff, too.  They don't make tones in different pitches like more modern detectors that can sound like bagpipes played by a Piper on methamphetamines.  Instead, you listen for the quality of that one tone it does make.  If it "blip-blips" it probably isn't a coin unless the coin is very shallow.  It could be a ring though.  It could also be a pull tab.  Dig it and find out.  That was always my rule.  Broken, scratchy sounds can be a good target at the edge of detection depth.  It can also be trash that is almost being discriminated out.  You guessed it.  Dig it and find out.  With experience you will be able to predict what is down there to some degree.  You can then ignore the probable trash targets.  Or...dig it and find out. 

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a dinosaur.  I'll soon be eligible for Social Security.  My first detector back in the 1970's was a Beat Frequency Oscillator (BFO).  As I said, I used other more advanced detectors as they came along.  I recently jumped into the 21st Century with a White's DFX detector and, more recently, a Minelab E-trac.  Incredible machines with a zillion possible programs and adjustments.  With either of them I can tell with pretty good certainty the difference between a real copper penny and a zinc.  I'm still left wondering if the target under the coil is a thin gold ring or a pull tab.  I....dig it and find out.

Storm   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46645.msg256324.html#msg256324

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:44:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good write-up stormrider! You nailed it. thank you.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46645.msg256326.html#msg256326

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: