[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lumpyTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GARRET
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:42:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I found many cool things with it including a heavy gold ring, bracelets, earrings, and old silver and new coins, and of course lots junk, but never had a buddy into metal detecting knowledgeable or someone else to talk tips and techniques with. I live in Washington state and live an hrs drive away from a area where there are many old Gold Mines (Blewett Pass) (Peshastin Creek) (Liberty) I have bin out in the woods looking for gold with it Lots of times but never found a gold nugget. By my own testing i have found this detector is not very sensitive to small gold, It of course finds Larger Gold with no problem.  Can this detector be used to find small nuggets or is there anyone reading this that has found gold nuggets with a detector like mine and is there a way to tune it or equip it with a coil that is good for nugget hunting especially small ones because i suspect there are more small nuggets then big ones. I know there is gold in these hills because i have no trouble finding gold by panning the area creeks and rivers and also have found a small apparently never found before vain of gold containing quarts exiting solid rock on the side of a mountain in the Liberty area to be specific on Ruby Creek that made my heart flutter, however this was on an existing gold claim so i did not explore this further. Anyway i want to go hunt some more in that area but do not have the money to buy a newer detector. My question is can i somehow increase the gold detecting sensitivity of this old but good Garret Grand Master Hunter.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg138008.html#msg138008

Offline gimp55
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:30:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

lumpy welcome to the site!! i"m a noob to the site,also new to detecting,its this dang site that nudged me into getting a detector!!! anyway if you practice and get to know your machine well enough it might tell you somethings there.i"ve dug and panned the areas your talking about and the gold i found was small and fine,not much for the detector to see,most of the big stuff found in the area was deep, thats the other problem. years ago i was scouting the area west of blewitt towards redtop i was on a jeep trail in my cj7 headed no.i don"t remember exactly,but i"d say 1/2mi or less off the highway was a huge stamp mill with alot of tailings around,i tried going back a few years later but the trail was washed out boulder strewn like a creek bed i got 100yrd up in my jeep and chickened out.i"m thinking theres enough concentrates in the tailings for a detector.if you know the site try it.if things improve on my end i may try this summer.i"ll check some maps and try to give you more detail..gimp55

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg138023.html#msg138023

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GARRET
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Gimp55, I have never seen the Stampmill you are talking about but i know that area has lots of old mines and i have seen huge piles of tailing south of Liberty right on the Peshastin must have bin from bucket Dredges or such one can see the piles right from the hwy.   Have you loaded Google earth?  I am looking at Blewett pass hwy 97 right now you may be able to generalize the area of that stampmil using google earth and then use a map to pinpoint the area. Tailing piles are always interesting and promising, There has got to be some nice gold laying around in that area i understand that most is fine especially in the Creek. However i have personally seen vials of rice size nuggets and or so the result of dredging in the peshastin so i know there is some coarse gold in that area too. I figure with a detector one may have a better chance of finding something nice because most of the hillsides have not bin searched with detectors there is simply too much land. The biggest problem i see is that most of that land in that area is under claim so its hard to find places where one can actually search legally. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg138028.html#msg138028

Offline gimp55
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:58:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

lumpy, there is a area of the swauk for public recreational use including dredge but it"s been heavily worked, some of the wire gold came from there in the early days.the area is big.i"ve deer hunted it! every time i"ve got into an area that looked virgin,something turns up,a bottle, bullet,boot sole,a horseshoe once, that area was hunted hard at one time.when the mining district was founded it was just a horse trail over the pass.the stamp mill is east of liberty about a 1/3 of the way to blewitt left hand side.like i said the trail now looks like a dry creek bed and its thick and brushy both sides,at the time i had bamby on my mind thinking i"d come back later to explore,i"ll try google,next week i"ll stop at metskers map in town and see what they have.you say about an hours drive away,me thinks cleelum?wenatchee?elensburg?which one?i"m in seattle,don"t get around so well now,but getting better.fresh out of nursing home month or so ago,should be ready soon itch"n to go,cabin fever!!! i have fisher md,mini sluice,nugget sucker,bucket dredge(thanks idaho jones) that needs to be put through the motions.i"ll do some research on the stamp mill and let you know,also theres a rolling mill above salmonlasac thats easy to get to..gimp55

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg138226.html#msg138226

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GARRET
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

So is there a map that show that recreational area for prospecting ?  Yea Google earth is pretty cool it shows buildings and objects the size of cars or trucks and trails that are visible from the air so you may be able to find that stamp mill or the trail to it. You did not say weather you ever used it before thats why i mention it. I have a 5 inch Keene Tripple Sluice Drege but nowadays i think it takes a year to get a permit and of course one would have to know where to use it i have not bin prospecting in a long time kind of out of touch so i figure going out with a detector is the easiest to get out and back in to it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg138290.html#msg138290

Offline gimp55
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:37:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

lump: 5 in. is a big unit!! the eco-maniacs in our state would have a fit...i haven"t done any research yet,(ok,a little)that would be a good machine for beach use like they do in nome.i have a report from wa.dnr.geology for the upper peninsula that shows a lot of promise.i helped build a 8", powered by a subaru engine thats in use today in nome.i don"t want to get into details yet,but i built a small non-metalic sluice with my detector in mind,nothing for the md to see but concentrates.shortly here i"ll go to google and take quik hike around blewitt and get back to you tonight.a quik thought, if you were to reduce your hose sizes to say 2" less wear&tear on your pump and eng. the smaller the dredge the easier it is to get permits,instead of a mtn. your moving an ant hill..gimp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg138435.html#msg138435

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GARRET
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Gimp, Well i just called Garret and talked to a technician my master hunter detector is operating at about 5.5 khz not too good for small nuggets however it does pick up larger gold nuggets what the starting size is that my detector can detect i do not know i suppose it depends on how deep it is buried also. I doing some research the last few days found out one wants a pulse induction metal detector for looking for small nuggets that operates at a high frequency one such detectors is the Garret infinium at about 15khz i hear it is quite sensitive to small nuggets however it costs around a thousand dollars out of my price range right now. But i have foud lots of stuff with my Grand master hunter so ill just use it for now i think in the all metal mode it does ok also it can be used to sample ore however i have never done that . What detector do you have . ?.  Oh also i did about 5 years ago get a permit to use in the peshastin i never actually used it but i dont remember any problems getting the permit it took me at least 3 month to get it after applying for it but the issued me the permit with no problems. Have you ever prospected the sultan river?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg139139.html#msg139139

Offline gimp55
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 01:28:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

lumpy:i used to do sultan basin often,alot of fine and flower gold,garnets,best times were after a good storm which tells me the source is up high probably the hillside. oldtimer told me they dug 15-20ft to bedrock and found bb up to pea sized gold now most of the area blocked off private.i prefer to go to an area thats as close but the golds better and its NFS land,i had a claim back in the 80"s that i let slip by,i"ve got the paper work ready to refile, but i"M waiting for my disibility claim to finalize.i was parylized last summer by guillion barre,hosp. nursing home,now transitional housing for vets,my hands and feet are still numb but getting better i still have some trouble walking,we"ll just call it a midlife crissis,by summer i should be good to go! i have a fisher 1235-X,bounty hunter tracker IV,my pans and sluice are cached where i play.i"m itchen to try this plastic sluice and nugget sucker i built, i don"t have any samples or concentrates now but i can wait.i did take a hike with google by liberty,dang i got dizzy! i found an area that from the air that could be near the stamp mill.go east from liberty,zoom out,no.side you"ll see bunch of trails,couple areas look like skidder tracks,chicken feet,zoom in,its not logging its all mining activity,didn"t see stamp mill but it"s the general area.i"ve got doc apps.wed.thurs.i"ll stop at metskers and get the map.old usgs map i had showed the road even after washout...gimp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg139168.html#msg139168

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GARRET
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:05:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Me i was in the Army 101 airborne what service where you in ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg139169.html#msg139169

Offline gimp55
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 04:22:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

i was 11charlie 9th infantry started at ft. polk ended at ft. lewis got out 74 liked the area so i stayed.came from utah played around park city,bingham mine so i"ve had the gold bug since i was knee high,now that i"m being put to pasture i"m going to get serious and chase some gold.i had heart failure 3 1/2 yrs ago,VA rebuilt the ticker,bounced right back,then this barre crap knocked me on my but,oct.sitting in a wheelchair doc says you"ll be back to normal in no time,thank god i could"nt move or i would have knocked him on his but and thrown him in the chair,today i"m 90% just can"t take the cold to well.my detector is 5.5khz and i think the BH is the same,although the BH"s not in my hands yet,suppose to meet on my way back from the doc"s.i"ve been told that if theres enough gold in your concentrates that 5.5 might signal if you know what your listenning for.i knew a fellow in fairbanks that was finding nuggets on a regular basis right after winter thaw,then after a couple of rains they"ve gone back down to perma frost, a lot peat in the area nuggets are"nt that deep 5.5 will signal with smaller coil you"ll miss the smaller stuff,but by the time i"m ready for that i"ll have the proper machine,i met a lot guys up there and 5",6" dredges are common,need a good boat and a sense of adventure and a little firepower spent a summer up there and the only problem i had was moose tried to run me down a couple times..gimp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20811.msg139181.html#msg139181

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: