[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 03:06:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

In the past I've wondered about the "discrimination" function of the Infinium too. From my readings, I've gathered that a PI detector which can discriminate is kinda like the holy grail of the metal detecting world. Last year I chanced across an article which may throw a little more light onto the matter....it doesn't really get into the technicalities of how Infinium's discrimination is carried out, but is more of a user's opinion.
Look for it about halfway down the page at:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.akmining.com/mine/garrett_infinium_tips.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21119.msg142665.html#msg142665

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 03:18:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist, in a PI detector, the timing of the transmitted signal is delayed and compared to the timing of the received signal. Any variation is seen as metal in the field. The timing is altered by an RLC coupled receiver and the two waveforms can be compared and analyzed providing fairly accurate discrimination. The processing power required to do this is huge and this is what makes most people say it is impossible. I will say that the waveform distortion is so precisely repeatable for each type of metal that when you do discriminate, it is nearly 100% positive.

The processor required to do this in real time is normally a 32 bit processor running at 60mhz or above with dynamic, not static or flash, RAM. Fourrier transforms and complex Calculus is required to do the analysis. Basically, you need an embedded Pentium to do it with ease. It's the processing power that makes it such a hard thing to do. There's no easy notch or anything. The exact distortion of the waveform must be analyzed bit by bit in real time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21119.msg142669.html#msg142669

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 03:42:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Most interesting GD...as you know I'm not very electronically inclined, but understood what you wrote. When you mentioned the process of PI discrimination required an embedded Pentium, it triggered a thought: these days more cellphones are using 1GHz and up dual core processors (I happen to be shopping for a replacement smartphone).

ARM's Cortex-A9 processor's floating point unit supports 32-bit integers. Now if such a processor could be coupled to dynamic RAM with the appropriate algorithms written in a low level language, maybe the holy grail of a properly discriminating PI detector can be within reach? We need a boffin to put all that together!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21119.msg142670.html#msg142670

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 04:22:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

It's being done right now in some of the more modern machines but to a lesser degree than you would expect. Processor development takes time. As much as 2 years sometimes and when they select what is a fast processor today, by the end of 6 months, is obsolete or outdated. It's like the mouse being chased by the cat who keeps grabbing just the tip of his tail but never getting the mouse. Processors tend to stay just a little ahead of practical application.

It won't be long before a really good PI with discrimination is on the market. This "dig everything" guy might have to change his tune.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21119.msg142672.html#msg142672

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 07:51:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

It's finally here: microcomputer that runs full Win7 on DDR2 RAM @1.6GHz. Somebody mate it to a fully-discriminating PI rig, please!

Please Register or Login

http://www.advancetc.com/

It makes phone calls too. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21119.msg148062.html#msg148062

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: