[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am a huge Butch Cassidy fan, and follow his story with close detail and passion.  I went to Southern Utah and was driving through a small town when I saw a sign for the Circleville restaurant or something like that.  I literally locked up the breaks when the history that I had read a while ago came flooding back to me.  I drove around the entire town looking for the sight of the Infamous "Circleville Indian Massacre." where the settlers kept some local Indian men, women, and children in a basement or cellar of some sort, and then took them out and slit their throats with a knife, one by one.  I don't remember everything of the massacre, but that's not what I was looking for.....I knew Butch Cassidy had grown up there, and was determined not to leave until someone pointed me in the right direction.

I stopped and asked a gentleman, and he wasn't to friendly about me wanting to know where it was at.  On my dashboard is the infamous picture that the Wild Bunch had taken, that made them famous, helped in their identification and eventually their demise.  I keep the picture there so that as I drive around, it reflects their photograph on the glass of the window....to me the photograph reminds me of a group of men, that even though they were outlaws.....they refused to be like the society that was moving in and settling the land.  They refused to do anything but what they wanted to, they decided to choose their own fate and their own way of doing things....right or wrong...they did what they wanted and what they believed in, and to me that is enough to be called a real man, we all choose our own paths and alter history without even knowing it....that is why I keep the picture of those outlaws on my dashboard in constant view to see.  I pulled out that picture off my dashboard and showed the guy I was talking to, and he told me how to find Butch Cassidy's boyhood home.  So here it is, and I also wanted to express my strong anger in the fact that nothing in the town, other than a cafe, mentions Butch Cassidy.  If ever I get enough money... I swear that there will be a life size statue of Butch in that town.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95349.html#msg95349

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

bryce anyon vacation 5-22-2010 013.jpg

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I bet one day in the future I will be watching the news, and a story of a statue going up in an obscure town will come across the screen.....and there will be TJ unveiling the Butch Cassidy statue! Great find and persistence TJ......your stories and pictures keep me going back to places I miss seeing. keep em coming!     Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95356.html#msg95356

Mark - K5EXX
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war

{alt}

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks a lot for that Mark, I really do appreciate it.....I honestly am going to find a way to get enough money to put up a statue of him there one day.  Every bit of history like that needs to be preserved.  I will definitely keep the pics and info of the places I visit coming.  I was down in Bryce Canyon and was in some commercialized "drug store cowboy" gift shop, and they had statue on sale there for $19,000.  it was a statue of outlaws handing off bags of silver to one another while dashing away on their horses.  I read the narrative and it was an artists rendition of the famous "Castle Gate Robbery" that Butch and some of his boys pulled off in broad daylight in the crowded area of the mines payroll office.  Well, any way....it gave me chills, because it is that silver from that same robbery that is said to be buried somewhere on the same ridge that my family cabin sits on in Southern Utah.

My dad and I have researched it as much as we can and have always fantasized about finding that particular silver from that famous robbery of the mine, that's no more than 15 miles away from our cabin.   If I found that buried silver.......I'd go back and buy that statue of that robbery just as a victory present.  anyway...... take care, and thank you for posting on this topic as always....an honor to hear form you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95362.html#msg95362

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:55:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Man, you are in the thick of it up there! Every where you turn....treasure, outlaws, etc! What a great story and having your family cabin that close! WOW......man, you are all over it!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95364.html#msg95364

Mark - K5EXX
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war

{alt}

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:17:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Mark....I tell you what....I will never stop looking for the past, I am just so thankful that my parents raised me to appreciate it the way that I do....I will keep you updated on everything I am doing as far as this kind of stuff goes, and I will keep the pictures and stories coming.  thank you once again for your post. as always, it's an honor to know you and call you friend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95503.html#msg95503

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very cool story toleary! Thanks for sharing with everyone.
Smiley

Now on the lighter side of things.. this one's for you bud:
"An ex-wife is like an inflamed appendix, they cause a lot of pain and suffering, but after it's removed you find you didn't need it anyway!"

Muhahaha
 Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95508.html#msg95508

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:06:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

one heck of a vacation!

out of curiosity are the cabins marked in any way? state, private property or what not?

it sure would be hard not to jump out and swing the md around for a little while around those!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95511.html#msg95511

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oh, and also toleary, if it was a park where those cabins are, then you could get permission to put the statue there in the park, otherwise if it was private property, you'd have to go through the hassle of buying some property down there and then donating it to the city (or state) to put your statue on it.

Oh, I did find this reference to at statue of him:

Please Register or Login

Butch Cassidy Statue in Dubois

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95519.html#msg95519

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:19:13 pm by zul32 »

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 01:29:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You're absolutely right when it comes to the land thing.  If ever I did raise enough money to get a statue put in, I'd go straight to the city council with it and just donate it.  I would really really want to see a statue of him in his home town where it all began.  I will be going to Josi Bassett's cabin next Saturday and will be hiking around up in that area with my family.  She was a close personal friend of Butch and the Wild Bunch.  I don't know....it just blew me away that there was nothing there that I could find by driving all over the town, that mentioned him and his history.  I found a great statue of the Sundance kid, I'll post that one as soon as I get the chance.  Outlaws or not, it is the history that has shaped our own.  Someday.....someday, I will have a statue of him donated to that town to mark his history, I'm making that a personal goal, no matter how far fetched it might seem.  Thanks for your post and for the link zul32...and I look forward to detecting with you here in our area in the next couple days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14894.msg95523.html#msg95523

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: