[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 20, 2010, 04:39:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Here is an Aussie ghost town that has some thing of a revival.

Walhalla is a small town in Victoria, Australia, founded as a gold-mining community in early 1863 and at its peak home to around 2,500 residents. Today, the town has a population of less than 20 permanent residents

Today the ghost town attracts large numbers of tourists and is a major focus of the regional tourism industry. The town's name is taken from an early gold mine in the area,called the Valhalla Goldmine.

As with all mining communities when the gold ran out the miners ran out. The vast majority of gold extraction from Walhalla centred around Cohen's mine, the largest single mine in Victoria. By 1900 the mine had already produced around 55 tonnes of gold (approximately 1.8 million troy ounces, worth around US$790 million in 2005).

Due to the enormous expenses of underground gold mining, small claims operated by individuals or small groups soon folded, being replaced by large companies such as the Long Tunnel Mining Company. This company owned the richest mine working the reef, the Long Tunnel, which produced around 13.7 tonnes of gold alone over its operation between the years 1865-1914.

The crushing machinery used to extract the gold from the quartz-based ore required large amounts of energy, supplied largely by wood-burning steam engines. The need for fuel wood led to the hills being denuded for some considerable distance around town, timber tramways bringing freshly-cut timber for the boilers.

The associated costs of bringing wood from further and further away were a key factor in the economic problems which eventually ended mining in Walhalla.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11580.msg74531.html#msg74531

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

794px-Walhalla_1910_view4.jpg
WalhallaVicCorner.jpg

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And with the current price of gold on the world market, could a new boom be in the offing?......if so get the relics before they get paved over.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11580.msg75788.html#msg75788

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Unfortunately reef mining there is a thing of past as of most of Australia. Most gold mining is done in Australia today by better extraction methods from other base metals consisting of many mineral such as copper silver lead etc...

Walhalla future has become a tourist ghost town for the day tripping cafe set from Melbourne.

hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11580.msg75903.html#msg75903

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:47:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

"Walhalla future has become a tourist ghost town for the day tripping cafe set from Melbourne."  sounds like the same fate that Oatman, Arizona has suffered.   I've got a bunch of photos that I've taken on my trips to Oatman, so I'll try to get a post up in the next 10 days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11580.msg75988.html#msg75988

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:02:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great stuff Hardluck! Old gold towns have a special place in my heart as my family has history in one here in Idaho called Warren. It was one of the richest in Idaho in the day and almost died out, but now a few vacationers have bought the old cabins there. Last I heard it was around 100 people and 6 full year round Smiley. The old towns have a fascinating cast of characters and storys you just can't find outside the old mining towns.

I was thumbing through some old photos from the 20s and 30s just the other day and decided to scan them in. I'll post some as well once I get em sorted.

Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11580.msg75991.html#msg75991

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:12:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey- thanks-cool pics too, Here in Indiana USA, a farmer just clears the land and plants corn,-- relics, everything,  GONE, I hit as many of these places that I can track down, and usually it's just farmground, hit it when the crops are not growing, old towns=HISTORY Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11580.msg75993.html#msg75993

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Buger it is amazing what you can find in old farming fields. traces of long gone farms, towns machinery etc...

Idaho Jones and BA any old photographs interest me as they are like a time machine looking back into the past.

I await your scans with interest.

Hardluck  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11580.msg76084.html#msg76084

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: