[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldnSC09
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 05:50:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

You think you can do a video of it actually working?I mean out in the field with a MD,I see how it beeps on squares,but I'd like to really see what it can do

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg26883.html#msg26883

Offline Tim_Williams
As seen on the History Channel "Decoded"
Bronze Member

Arc-Geo Logger!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

958.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 06:46:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have examples on my site and 2 articles from the American Digger Magazine. I am going on a 2 week trip after the show and will have video. Look at the detector reports also. The Garrett 2-box shows a milk can buried 5 ft and plots from the logger. Read the field test report.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg26886.html#msg26886

Regards, Tim

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:48:32 am by Tim_Williams »

Bringing metal detectors into the world of imaging!

Please Register or Login

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 06:54:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm no computer tech or electronic whiz but if recording changes in signal strength is what the logger does, would it not be possible to plug the detector into the line-in/mic-in port of a laptop and have appropriate software record the changes in signal strength? That would do away with the need for an intermediary device.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg26887.html#msg26887

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline goldnSC09
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 07:08:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

I know the vecinity of an old gold mine that collapsed in 1865 and hasn't been worked since because of cave ins.Would your unit pick up or show where the mine shafts are at?Given that ALL of it hasn't collapsed in on itself.I mean,like would it tell me where there's a void or where the gold's still at?I have read some stuff on your site and may get one(when I get some money),but thought I'd ask this first.Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg26890.html#msg26890

Offline goldnSC09
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Tim?Your website is saying broken link.What's the deal with that or did you know about?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg26912.html#msg26912

Offline Gold dredgerTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 12:32:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tim's site is back up. Must have been some crazy wires crossed so it was down. Back up now! Waveing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg26939.html#msg26939

Offline Tim_Williams
Bronze Member

Arc-Geo Logger!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

958.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 04:13:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They had server problems, but it's back up. About the computer sure you can do that! But I would not carry a laptop in the places where I hunt! Anyone that goes where no man has gone before knows what I' talking about. Plus problems with the computer batteries. A full charge on the logger will let you hunt up to a week or more. The heavy duty water proof case can take a knock or two compared to a laptop. 

The 2-box by discovery still has the cave mode which show ground density changes. So you can see where hole were dug before old privies, etc.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg26958.html#msg26958

Regards, Tim

Please Register or Login

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 01:58:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Battery life of a laptop is not an issue. There are myriad ways around that like spare batteries, in-car chargers, solar chargers and even fuel cell tech (expensive though).

There are also low-power consumption UMPCs which run on user-replaceable batteries.
There are ruggedized laptops like the Panasonic Toughbook which can take a real beating, so most rough field conditions are not a problem.

The real problem is having to take the logger readings back to a computer, then go back again to the site. That is a nuisance and a waste of time, especially when the site is far from civilization. When I'm in the field (and I will be again once the weather clears up), I want results in the field itself. Since you say it is possible to hook up the 2 box directly to a laptop and let the proper software do the analysis, I'm interested. Let me know if you ever publish the necessary software. Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg27013.html#msg27013

Offline Tim_Williams
Bronze Member

Arc-Geo Logger!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

958.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 06:09:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist have you been to my site most of your question can be answered there. I have the software on my site for viewing the plot. That laptop looks nice for 1800. I bought my mini laptop for 300! I backpack my laptop in a tough rugged box and use it in the field. Most of my customers do and keep a small laptop with them and view the plots on site. The point I was making was you want to carry around a laptop and take samples walking in area sometimes where you may have to take a 2 foot step up or down! It's just not a good idea. One dropped laptop "cracked LCD" can ruin your day and cost you more than a logger would. The software is on my site free to download if you want to see it. If you want a logger that will output the data USB to a computer to log while you walk let me know. That's no problem.

Or if some programmer would be interest in writing the software I would be interested also. But cost for my customers at this point is low for the information return using the Arc-Geo. My system has out performed GPR system in mineralized soil. I do not want to cost my customers more than they need to pay. I am doing everything my self at this point to keep costs down. I would be open to real time plotting. Because I can program the logger to do both. Output the string and keep a file on the logger just in cast. I may go to blue tooth if I can find someone to write the software. But no matter which way you go there are always problems. I like to keep it simple and to the point. The less bells and whistles the better. I don't want anything breaking in the field. I have had ZERO logger repairs or any repairs on my equipment sense I started. If I can get someone to write the computer software you will see it on my site. Thanks for your questions.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg27020.html#msg27020

Regards, Tim

Please Register or Login

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 07:11:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tim, I got your point the first time you made it. If and when you do get the software written, you may have a potential customer here.
When I'm in the field, conditions can be very harsh, and at times due to various extraneous factors, the window of opportunity is short. Hence the need to 1)  see the results in real time on the spot 2) travel light with minimal gear.
As with these kinds of forays, the chance of gain is slim while the probability of failure is high. The odds make me reluctant to shell out for a real GPR or grossly-overpriced OKM system.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3785.msg27023.html#msg27023

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: