[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline wreaksTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:05:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, I am very new here but I have been in treasure hunting for most of my life.

I have found what looks like an impact crater deep in the forest, and I was hoping to possibly rent a GPR for say a week and hopefully get the hang of it and determine if there is anything in this crater.

I see a few sites that offer systems like the SIR3000 for rent, just from what I have read, angle of impact and measurements done on site I think the object is no deeper than 30 feet.

I don't think even the best PI can go anywhere near that deep so I think I am stuck with a GPR of some type, has anyone ever rented one/ can recommend one that is not to hard to get the hang of.

I have extensive experience with electronics and computers and can usually pick up on how things work very quickly....

Thank you for your time.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg63318.html#msg63318

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 04:03:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

How old does it look to be?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg63332.html#msg63332

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:10:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

crater looks very old....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg63841.html#msg63841

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:58:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"Very" is far too subjective  a description. Estimate the age. Just pretend this is a serious inquiry.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg63883.html#msg63883

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:04:35 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:43:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GPRs are not cheap to rent. Before investing money in one, I'd suggest you evaluate the soil in the crater first.

1) Take soil core samples for 20 feet and have the samples analyzed for clay content. A high percentage of clay will reduce the penetration of the GPR to as little as a few feet. An honest/knowledgeable rental company will be able to tell you if the GPR can perform in a worthwhile manner on that soil.

2) Dig down 5 or 6 feet following your projected path of the object and examine the soil. Are there many rocks, shards of metal and other debris? If there's too much clutter, you'll get a lot of spurious reflected echos. It takes a trained GPR operator to interpret and sift out the relevant info.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg63888.html#msg63888

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:16:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

soil disturbance age looks to be over a thousand years, comparing the pictures I have seen with the area in question.

Clay is pretty common in the area, high moisture content in the soil will reduce the effectiveness of the GPR as well correct?

I will see about getting a core sample, the area is not...easily accessible until summertime anyways so got a bit of time to research.

On GPR rentals I see SIR 3000s rentable for around 120-150 per day from environmental supply and pulseEKKOs for 160 per day from apollo geophysics, that seem reasonable?

Thank you for the input so far, appreciate it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg64309.html#msg64309

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:30:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wreaks, with the GPS coordinates of the site (which I assume you have), go to Google Maps and use the satellite imaging to give you an idea of the impact shape. If it's perfectly round, the impact is most likely to have been nearly vertical. If not, the shape might indicate it was a glancing impact meaning that the meteorite could be miles away from the crater. In any event, there are formulas available to calculate the ejecta patterns from both kinds of impacts. Rather than place your hopes on a large piece remaining in the crater, see how many smaller chunks are around the crater in the ejecta area. In most cases, a pattern will emerge and tell you if enough mass was ejected to indicate the entire meteorite exploded and was ejected and indicate if a larger piece is still left.

Research is the key here before you go off renting any equipment. Keep the site location secret for now. Meteorites are worth several hundred dollars per kilogram and you'll be swamped with "helpers" if you reveal your location prematurely.

Keep good records. Draw a crater image and keep track of the finds around it. Record the mass, distance from the center impact area, general shape and a photo of each find. It could take you years to do the actual searching of the area but you may find yourself with a pile of rocks worth the effort. It also makes a grand story to tell your family afterward.

Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg64317.html#msg64317

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:33:21 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You make a good point on the glancing blow, I will have to do a bit more research to determine that this wasn't the case. Thanks for the insight GD.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg64326.html#msg64326

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 04:28:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wreaks, those of us who hunt for all kinds of treasure learn all sorts of things along the way. Try the Google Maps thing. Even if it's now heavily forested, you might still find a clue. Perhaps a mile away you might spot an even bigger crater and discover that yours is a piece of ejecta from that much bigger strike. You just never know.

I sold a round, nickel/iron core meteorite the size of a walnut on eBay for $450.00 a few years back. The size and shape indicated it was a solo fall. It was found resting on the surface and spotted by eye. I wasn't even looking for a meteorite but I liked the shape and color of the rock. It was very heavy for its size and I pocketed it. Years later, I looked at it again with a new eye.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg64328.html#msg64328

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 11:39:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If I had some pieces, where or who could I take it to/ send it ? Is it something you can determine on your own or could a local rock shop figure it out?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10086.msg64430.html#msg64430

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: