[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seanengmanTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:52:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Alrigh, so I was at the laundromat and saw one of my "Old Timer" buddies. He owns a place down in Mill Canyon here in the Davenport, WA area. We got to talking about mining and geology as we usually do, and he brought up "The Lost Mine of Mill Canyon". Now I know every area has its lost mines, but being surrounded by basalt all of the mines in the Mill canyon area are pretty much considered lost. What makes Mill Canyon interesting is that from a geologic standpoint it has the same features as the other gold bearing areas in Eastern Washington, it is just mostly overlooked because basalt is so prominent in the county. I did some research and found two locals at which hard rock mining occured. The story is that the mine entrance was blasted when the price of gold was fixed at the $35 or so an ounce. So he continued to tell me about an anomaly in which in the dead of summer near a cliff face with boulders strewn about there is a spot where ice crystals were forming. Any opinions?

Thanks

Sean

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg88499.html#msg88499

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:53:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you are even thinking about going into an abandon mine, you may think again... one of the moderators posted something that really made me pay attention about them! The motto is "Stay out.. Stay Safe".

Please Register or Login

Abandoned mines information

There's another link but I forgot which one it was...
However, if you're not thinking about that, but want to get what's coming out of it.. I heard from a friend that you look for the black soil in the creek water - if there are signs of that there could be gold in that soil.. does that sound right?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg88760.html#msg88760

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline toleary34
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:15:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

for me,it is the "slag" piles, that are the most helpful.  a lot of people think that looking for that is a no brainer, however the earth shifts, erodes, and changes causing piles of sediment to look just like piles from the interior of mines, even though there is no mine.  look for the history of what was mined in the area in the past.  for example coal was mined in the are where i found a mine two days ago.  the rock in that area is a bluish tint when pulled out of the mountain.  i go on the internet, research the history and then go on google earth, and view the satelite imagery ( something I'm used to from my military intelligence experiences) and then look for what appears to be old "slag" piles.

Last night i did this very thing, and in fact found two places up a shallow canyon that do in fact look like slag piles, and have old over grown trails leading to them.  i then use google earth applications and measure the distance from where i am going to start, so i can gauge my distance when I'm actually there on the the ground looking for the place.  keep in mind also, that viewing something from 7500 feet is a lot different than being there obviously, so take into account things like bends in the rivers, canyons, certain types of brush that's growing in certain patterns and the like.  this will help you to identify what you are seeing from the ground in your search.  Good luck, and I'll let you know what i find as far as what i am going to explore off of the satelite imagery that i have been studying.
also I'm no geologist by any means, but the statement about the ice crystals on the cliff might be from spring water inside the soil and rocks from the spring run off that is coming outside the cliff, and the cliff's themselves might be causing a venturi effect where the wind and ambient air are forced to pick up speed and lower the temperature.  there might also be the shade and shadows that come into play as far as temperature, depending on the aspect (side of the mountain, such as East, South, West etc).  pieces of terrain usually spend more time in the sun on the south side, leaving the North face to be colder and allow freezing.  anyway, that is my thought on it  and might be a possibility. take care

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg88766.html#msg88766

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's possible that those ice covered boulders could mark the entrance to the mine.   The venturi effect toleary34 has been used for generations to cool homes in desert areas (

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat
).    And I'm not going to say "Don't enter", but I will say abandoned mines are extremely dangerous places especially if you don't know what you're doing, don't know what to expect, and don't prepare properly.   Which is why they get sealed up and websites like the one zul32 linked to get posted.   (Not to mention the fact that a lot of them are really easy to stumble into accidentally.  My wife's uncle went off-roading with his son a couple of years ago, stepped out of the jeep and found himself sliding down a mineshaft he hadn't noticed.  Fortunately for him there just happened to be a ledge of rock a few feet down which he managed to hit and which held.  He got out with just his pride injured and a few scrapes.  Lots of people aren't so lucky.)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg88863.html#msg88863

Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the input.

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg88922.html#msg88922

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:39:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Problem is they followed the vein of whatever they were mining up, left, right, or straight down. Never trust a board to walk on and always carry a stick to poke the ground ahead. Here are some things I look for when looking for an old mineshaft.

Entry shafts should be surrounded somewhere by tailings. If it's old enough and in wet weather sometimes tailings can get overgrown. Look for broken rock with sharp edges, most natural formations will have smooth rock. Out of place quartz or other unusual minerals strewn about. Generally tailings will have a flat top leading out to where the overburden was tossed over the edge to create a small plateau.

Sattelite Imagery can be very helpful, also if you have a GPS you can see pretty exactly where you were searching and set some points of interest you can walk right to for next time.

Also keep your eye out for old shoring members usually about 4 to 5 feet long. Sometimes there will be a pile nearby unless there have been fires.

Most old mines collect groundwater so any greener than usual spots or springs can be a sign.

If there are no visible tailings is there a road or trail by which the ore was moved to a stamp mill? Many times the tailings will be used to build the road.

Another possibility is that it's an exit shaft and few if any tailings will be found. Sometimes they drilled clear through the mountain. 

If its collapsed look up the hillside for a v shaped gulley or depression where the mine tunnel filled in. If it's in hardrock sometimes the ground can fill the entrance back in.

I know a place near Lime Oregon where they were cutting to bedrock with a cat and found two old shafts cut through the mountain with no entrances anyone could see.

Hope thats helpful. Be safe and happy hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg88943.html#msg88943

Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:19:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

I doubt I will actually go inside if I find it, I just mostly want to poke around and see what I can find. You never know what's laying about waiting to be found. I may take some samples.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg88947.html#msg88947

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:32:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

I know what you mean, I have been to so many old mines I can't remember how many. Been fascinated with em as a kid and that was back in the day most were still open before people started dynamiting them closed. I've looked in but never venture to far myself, got issues with being buried alive  Grin

I've found a few with ore still in the cars years ago, these are really scarce these days as people make off with the carts to put in their yards.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg89044.html#msg89044

Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Never understood the concept of an ore cart as a yard ornament.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg89180.html#msg89180

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:50:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats hot stuff here, even going so far as to build mine entrances. That and old farm equipment, wagons and old cars.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13967.msg89206.html#msg89206

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: