[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cptbilTopic starter
Copper Member

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

379.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: May 24, 2007, 08:42:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Buds and I, are now in Arizona..
I would like to take up the search for:
            "The Lost Pick Mine" 
As you know, it's about 50 miles, North of Phoenix, some where along the eastern side of the "Verde River"

Just past some "Red/reddish" Hills/bluff..
Anyone have some additional information they'd like to share?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg18276.html#msg18276

Cptbil & Bugs

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck Bill! I hope you will come up with a great discovery! Please keep us posted!

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg18280.html#msg18280

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline Whitewolf
Copper Member

"Take everything and give nothing in return."
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:45:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't you ever slow down Bill?  Still debating the amethyst mine. I know I am a little slow but.....

Dennis

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg18285.html#msg18285

We come into life howling and covered in blood....the fun doesn't have to stop there.

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:47:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Capt. Bill,
   what kind of Buds do you have?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg18330.html#msg18330

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 05:59:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

I wish all the luck to you and your friends in your search.  Good luck and may you make some very nice finds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg18387.html#msg18387

Stringfrenzy

Offline Whitewolf
Copper Member

"Take everything and give nothing in return."
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 01:41:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Bill!

I think you are home from this one already but I am going to do some heavy research for you on this one. Maybe next spring you can head out for it with a new light of info. And if I help you find it with the info I want the amethyst mine out of the deal.

Dennis

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg18523.html#msg18523

We come into life howling and covered in blood....the fun doesn't have to stop there.

Offline cptbild
Bronze Member

Jeep n' Bugs
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

796.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

three of them
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:40:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dennis:
Me 'n Bugs, who's a 120 lb Solid Red Bloodhound, aka a "Red Bone"
Will be back on the trail of "The Lost Pick Mine", this coming April '08!
We have a site down along the So. Az. Border to check out first ...    Lips Sealed
Keep us informed of your research
I have a pretty good idea of the general area
I don't know what good it might do,
but!
I am thinking of having my bother, "Jon", fly me over the area to see what's there?
We flow up the Verde River a couple of years ago, on our way to Page Canyon
FOR!
Lunch! No Less!
How's that for being RICH & SNOOTY ??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg19668.html#msg19668

Cptbil n' Bugs

Cptbil n' Bugs

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hola amigos,

This is an old and long dormant thread, but a goodie so I am reviving it! 

The primary source for the Lost Pick mine is the account given by John D. Mitchell, a treasure hunter and author who wrote of it in the early days of treasure hunting.  His sources were locals mostly, and while some find fault with Mitchell, I cannot for he was simply writing down what stories were in circulation and the information he could obtain.  If some info was faulty, I don't think we should point at Mitchell.

I will add some info to this as soon as I have time, for the moment just a sort of "tag" post - more to come!  Good luck and good hunting, and a big HOWDY to my amigo Capn Bill if you still visit here - I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg219092.html#msg219092

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:31:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Lost Pick Mine

It was rumored in the frontier town of Phoenix in 1873, that an old Apache Indian was bartering rich chunks of gold ore for supplies at the store in Fort McDowell.   The Apache was known to live up in the Bronco canyon country about 50 miles north of Phoenix and 25 miles northwest of the fort.

The bartering had been going on for about a year when two prospectors by the name of Brown and Davis came into the country from Phoenix.  They happened to be in the store one day when the old Apache came in with his pockets full of nuggets of gold.  The two prospectors were old-timers, but in all their experience they had never seen such rich rock.

Having bartered his gold, the Indian started off across the desert.  After traveling about 10 miles he dropped down into Coon creek canyon and followed that up to where it joins the east fork of Bronco canyon.

There the trail was lost by the two prospectors who had been following a few miles behind the Indian.

Returning to the fort the two men purchased supplies sufficient to last them several weeks and then headed their burros out across the desert in the direction of Wild Burro canyon.  That night they camped at a small spring on the south fork of the canyon where a stream of water bubbled from the west bank and ran several hundred feet before losing itself in the sand. 

One day while prospecting in the wild brush covered country on the west side of the canyon they discovered an 18 inch quartz vein very rich in free gold similar in form to that they had seen in the hands of the Indian.  The vein outcropped in a patch of manzanita brush and showed every evidence of having been worked.  Little piles of ore were scattered along the vein and under the palo verde trees that grew nearby.  Pottery sherds strewn over the ground indicated that the vein had been worked by Indian squaws.

Brown and Davis returned to their camp at the spring and constructed a crude arrastre in which to grind the rich ore.  After 25 sacks of the quartz had been mined and milled, the partners estimated they had in the neighborhood of $70,000 or $80,000 in gold in their possession.  Their pannings indicated that the ore would assay around $80,000 per ton in gold.  As fast as the amalgam was taken from the floor of the arrastre it was rolled into balls and stored in a hole under a large rock that stood near the arrastre on hte east bank of the creek.

With all this wealth the partners decided to return to their old home in San Francisco, where after a few months rest they would purchase machinery and return to work in their mine.

Early in the morning as they were getting ready to break camp, a small party of Apache warriors emerged from the rocks near the arrastre and started firing.  Davis, the younger of the two prospectors, fell dead with a bullet through his head.  Brown grabbed his rifle and sprang behind a large boulder as six Apaches made a rush for the camp.  From his place of concealment Brown killed three of the Apaches and wounded a fourth.  The others abandoned the fight and disappeared into the rocky canyon.

Brown crawled into the manzanita thicket and escaped with his rifle and the clothes he had on his back.  A piece of rich ore he carried in his pocket was assayed in San Francisco some years later and was found to contain $84,000 a ton in gold.

Brown kept his secret, awaiting the time when it would be safe to return to the Indian country.

Eventually the Indians were pacified and placed on reservations.  Then, although he was now 80 years of age, the prospector decided to return to the scene of the strike.

He reached Phoenix on his way to the Bronco canyon country, but while he was gathering supplies and an outfit to accompany him into the desert wilderness, he was taken ill and placed in a hospital. 

On his deathbed he told for the first time the story of the strike he and Davis had made, and of the fight with the Indians.  The balls of amalgam, he said, were buried in a shallow hole between a large boulder and a stratum of white volcanic ash that outcrops along the foot of the mountains on the east side of the little valley.  The gold probably was still there, unless the Apaches had seen it buried and had taken it.

Several years later a Mexican goat-herder in that area came across the site of an old mining camp, and reported that he had seen a rusty pick sticking in a crevice in a small quartz vein, but did not stop to investigate.  This story tallied closely with Brown's dying statement that his partner's pick was in the quartz when he was killed by the Indians.  The Mexican had disappeared, however, before the story of the pick reached those who knew about the lost gold mine.

It is said that a circle of rocks indicating the location of an ancient arrastre may be found in that region today, but neither the pick nor the cache of gold has been relocated as far as is known.

Posted under the terms of Fair Use, extract from the book Lost Mines & Buried Treasures Along the Old Frontier, by John D. Mitchell, 1954, pp 49-52

=================
This is the basic story that our amigo Capn Bill was heading out to track down - and that $70,000 worth of gold already mined would be worth $5.600,000 today.  Definitely worth the time to find it and dig it up! 

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

PS - Loke, if you read this, does anything jump out at you?  Hmm?   Wink Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg219301.html#msg219301

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline loke
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:38:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmm - does anything jump out at me? *chuckles* Yeah, maybe a thing or two ... (or three or four ...)
Me thinks it might be time for a li'l pow-wow!

Ahhhh - with this post I have finally reached the pull-tab stage!! Infinitely better than the foil! *chuckles*

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2200.msg219410.html#msg219410

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:55:09 pm by loke »
Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: