[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: May 10, 2008, 01:25:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi! I hope someone can throw some light onto this discovery. I was without my digicam that day, and so had to resort to drawing the marker from memory. I'll be going back to take photos of it within the next few days. The details of this marker is as follows:

The dig site is an old Japanese army camp in Borneo beside a river.It was unearthed at 25 feet below ground level. It is made of dark grey cement-like substance (soft mixture, breakable) similar to 2 other markers found at higher levels. It is 100% carved by man, has a flat bottom and oval profile.

The most interesting feature of it is a Y-shaped engraving that has a 3rd branch between the "fork". It may point to something. Any ideas would be appreciated. Should I break the marker to see if there's anything inside? Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2546.msg20040.html#msg20040

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSCN3654-1.jpg

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline xmarksthespot
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 11:39:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hobbyist,

You said there are surface markers similar in material to the cement marker uncovered 25ft below ground? could you describe what they are? it might be relevant..... don't break your cement marker, just yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2546.msg20043.html#msg20043

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:31:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

The 2 other cement markers have been vandalized by impatient people. Both were turtle heads that faced east. The portions which had been sledgehammered revealed no objects within. However, a sparkling gold-like sheen was found to be diffused through the cement's insides. The lab test stated it to be bronze powder.

I do not know if this 3rd marker has bronze powder within, as it is still relatively unmarred with the exception of a horizontal gash in it's left side. This gash was caused by the Hitachi excavator.

Anyways, attached are some photos I took today. If it has to be broken, I'll take very precise measurements of it's dimensions and weight before anything is done.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2546.msg20045.html#msg20045

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

DSCN3655.jpg
DSCN3658.jpg

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:33:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

A few more photos

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2546.msg20046.html#msg20046

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

DSCN3657.jpg
DSCN3661.jpg

Offline xmarksthespot
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:40:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

If you plan to break the cement-like marker you have unearthed, then try to carefully take measurements, photograph and carefully/religiously stencil the whole marker, you might have overlooked something which may be relevant....

hadn't it occured to you, that, the sign you have, may have been an eagle with outstretched wings? is there an ancient, solitary tree nearby? or trees in triangle formation? East or Northeast of your marker's location? were the two "turtle heads" surface markers located before your subsurface cement marker? was your subsurface cement marker found very near the river? try to answer these questions as they are important to giving you an accurate reading of your site. If possible please post a sketch map of your site, indicating where the markers were found with correct compass bearings. Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2546.msg20047.html#msg20047

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:23:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for the reply. Yes, all measurements of dimensions and weight will be done before the marker is dissected. Photos and very detailed inch-by-inch video of the marker will also be taken. Attached is a rough map of the site. This marker was found directly on top of the bunker entrance. It has to serve some purpose.

The other 2 markers had some glittery metal in their broken portions. Lab analysis of the metal showed it to be bronze in powder/very find grain form. No trace of the bronze is on the outside of the 2 turtleheads. I suspect the 3rd marker will also have bronze inside it. We shall find out when the chipping is done later this week.

In answer to your questions:
There was only one huge ancient tree in the area (duly marked on the sketch of the site). It was felled some years back and used to make a bridge. No other large trees are/were in the immediate area.

The subsurface marker was resting directly on top of the sealed bunker entrance, and is approximately 60-70 feet from the bank of the river. The river bends and flows towards the north-east.

This site puzzles me. I have been pursuing WW2 caches since '95 (as a hobby), and this is the first time I've seen markers that are so large. I hope you can provide additional insight. Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2546.msg20049.html#msg20049

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

DSCN3662.jpg

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: