[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GREY RIDERTopic starter
Bronze Member

There is iron in my words
Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MARKSMAN &  FISHER  F-2     Garrett pro pointer
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:13:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

i have heard alot as far as descrim and senstivitywhat are the advantages of running high sensitivity and low descrimination other than  depth with the 4 inch coil on a F2 ? I have had better luck I.D. ing   targets with sensitiviy on low  some say run in all metal some say take out iron or notch on descrim  side of  seachin what do ya'll think ?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21330.msg144641.html#msg144641

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:05:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In a standard round coil, your signal, a magnetic field, going down (and up) from the coil during the TX time is shaped like an ice cream cone. In a Double D, it is shaped like a broad axe head. Both have the tiny end down (or up) at the furthest point from the coil. Your targets are "lit" by this field and develop a tiny magnetic field of their own based on the type of metal and the shape. In ferrous metals, the field is built up inside the object which turns it into a tiny magnetized item for a millisecond or two. In non ferrous metals, the field is built up on the surface in the form of eddy currents which also act like a magnet. The ferrous items have a larger field with fuzzy edges while the non ferrous items have a sharper, more defined image shape.

Now to the guts of the question. The sensitivity controls the size of the received signal's first stages of amplification. The higher the sensitivity, the greater the field sensed signal amplification. Imagine that your receiver section is an eye. When you turn it down, it has the effect of narrowing the field of view on your coil. This allows you to "see" an object with much greater clarity without losing too much depth. You don't lose the depth because your receiver has no such limitation of "shape" in its ability to receive a signal. It doesn't care if the signal came from Mars. It will still indicate a target as long as the target's field is strong enough to reach the RX coil.

The discrimination takes a look at the target signal's shape, return strength and frequency shift (if any) to determine what the most likely metal or shape of the object being sensed. No matter how good your discrimination is, machines are only right around 75% of the time. Worse yet, when you filter out the non ferrous items of aluminum, you also filter out the smaller gold and silver items. Not finding nickels? They are notched out with pull tabs, as are small gold and silver rings. If you're not finding too many of those, this is why.

Your sensitivity setting can be helpful in screening out the noise from water in the soil, plant growth, black sand and  variety of other things in the ground which create a symphony in your headset. Keeping it reduced a bit and cranking it up for those tough to pinpoint items is what I suggest. Get the extraneous noises to go away and you will be better able to pick out targets from the quagmire down there. Use minimum discrimination or none at all. I know it can be a pain to dive down and recover every nail, hairpin and pop top out there but remember one thing. When you dig those out of the way and check again, you will occasionally find a really valuable item. Us old guys know this from experience. The younger crowd reading this learns it the painless way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21330.msg144702.html#msg144702

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:08:10 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:08:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thank you for your time and info !

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21330.msg144794.html#msg144794

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

YEP. GDs right 75% of people just have to have the Gain/sens turned all the way up and the blaim the detector for IDing it right
just like driving in the fog low beam works better,why not do some tests by turning it flat out then 1 bit at a time turn it down til
you get real low then you will see how much deoth you loose but remember that the loss will be less in the ground .
And air test NO 2 turn it up half way then you can get an idea of your coils search pattern,but use a wooden ruler fer that one

good luck josey

john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21330.msg144797.html#msg144797

Bronze Member

Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks i will try that  i done some experiments earlier i think will help . some stuff we talk about you just have to see for your self to appreciate or understand and some you know is right from expierence  most every thing i know i have learned the hard way or the wrong way so thanks for helping spare me from those endevors . Josey

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21330.msg144801.html#msg144801

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Josey I've learned the very hard way costing $16000.00 in the past 6+ years and i've spent more time testing in the past 8 months
than i have detecting now thats bad, Half of your problems are solved coz .  NO  1 your not affraid to ask, alot of people are.
NO  2  your going out using your machine, NO 3  but most important your trying to understand it, NO 4  and your doing tests.
You will be gettin finds thick and fast with your positive attitude and i wish you a lotta luck

john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21330.msg144805.html#msg144805

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: