[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:37:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have a question. I have seen videos of folks conducting air tests on their MDs while it seems that field tests are most commonly conducted to advise on the efficiency of a MD. What is the difference in results between the two tests? I'm more inclined toward the field test just because it's the real thing, but not sure about the difference in results.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129412.html#msg129412

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:01:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

New Guy here, just a thought that it would depend on the detector. Air test tells you its working, field test tells you how good its working. Air test is easier, but I like field test better. I could think of other conditions I would emulate on a air test.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129420.html#msg129420

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:26:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
I have a question. I have seen videos of folks conducting air tests on their MDs while it seems that field tests are most commonly conducted to advise on the efficiency of a MD. What is the difference in results between the two tests? I'm more inclined toward the field test just because it's the real thing, but not sure about the difference in results.

You're going to love the answer GD gives you on this one Smiley  

(Actually, if you do a search using the search function you'll find that you can use the air tests to help you determine the specific search pattern characteristics of your particular detector and coil---but it is a bit more involved than the standard air tests you see in the videos where a person waves a target across the coil and says "Ok, this detector will pick up a quarter at 12 inches in an air test" since it involves determing how far from the coil the target is picked up in various positions across the full face of the coil.....)

But when it comes to just the air test you've seen on most of the videos, there good for A) verifying the machine works and B) given you an idea as to the sound and general reading the machine will give you for a target as well as the theoretical maximum depth.  The field test will give you a more accurate real world depth -- but even that is going to be approximate since it will vary with soil conditions.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129574.html#msg129574

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 06:47:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the response. It seems that the field test tells about the natural behavior of the MD in the various soil conditions we exposed them, while the air test still gives you information about its basic functionality. Thus both tests serve a function of their own. In conclusion, conducting both tests is recommended.

I think that it would be beneficial to establish standard procedures on how to conduct both tests for the average detectorist to obtain the most accurate information about their MDs.

I'll wait for GD's response.   Teach

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129600.html#msg129600

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I feel so, er, um, inadequate.

The air test is an ideal circumstance test where there is nothing in the way to cause your field to be less than perfect. In ground, sand or water, other factors interfere with your field. Things like soil components, rotting wood, tree roots, water in the soil and long decomposed iron can cause your field to be attenuated giving you a diminished return. On rare occasions, like when a gentle rain moistens the soil, you might even get enhanced returns from a VLF/TR or PI machine. Most other types suffer from water in the ground.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129897.html#msg129897

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 05:35:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Inadequate? ya right  Pray. So if a MD fails an air test, let say in terms of depth, one may expect that in the various ground conditions the machine will not respond as indicated by the manufacturer or the seller. That is, a manufacturer may claim that the machine is deep seeking, but if the air test shows that at 6" the MD fails to return a signal, one cannot expect a ground detection pass 4 or 5 inches. Then, one should ask what does the manufacturer meant by deep seeking.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129917.html#msg129917

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ahhh, GD, no reason to feel inadequate.....you did good 

(although I was expecting something more along the lines of what you wrote in

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37095.html#msg37095
   Wink  )......

and to be honest what I was really thinking about was a topic occupant started last year when he wrote:
"occupant  "Winter is getting old.  I'm ready for Spring and some nice weather.  But, since I'm still stuck inside, I wanted to try an experiment that may prove valuable when it is time to get outside and begin Treasure Hunting again.

Time and again we have been told that the shape of the detector's search field beneath the coil would look like a 'snow cone' if we could see it. Pointing down into the ground like a "V".  I do recall reading one article that described it more as half of a basketball, which always seemed  more accurate to me. But I still didn't know for sure.  So, how much should I overlap my swings in order not to miss anything? The following experiment gave me the answer and forever changed the way I will use my detector." "   see

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76100.html#msg76100
     That got into the whole shape and depth of the search field thing in a way that even a non-techie like myself can appreciate. )

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129934.html#msg129934

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 07:28:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think I understand what golddigger is saying. I have a basic machine, and it only air test at 6inches. But I detect at 10 inches or more with it. My soil is dry here. To add to this, if I set the sensitivity and disc nobs right I can pull out coins more often than not. I have pulled tin cans from a foot under a large root. I cant explain why my bounty hunter detects better in the ground. I cant wait to get a high frequency machine to do more tyhan coin search. I have read you can reverse the settings on a vdi and discriminate iron? Again Im confused as to why that is. But if it works?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129935.html#msg129935

The more I learn, the less I know.

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:37:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting experiment by Occupant with the BH. I agree that the air test may yield ideal results whatever those are, good or bad. The real test, however, is the ground test in the various conditions. Thus, although the air test yields interesting results that may surprise one, there is no match to the real experience of detecting on the field. That is, the air test yields hypothetical results, but the field test brings tacit knowledge to the operator. One can conclude then that a knowledgeable operator makes the difference between a good and a mediocre hunt. Bottom line is detect, detect, detect and pay attention to and learn the behaviors of your MD. Too many MDs, too many technologies, but in the end it's up to the operator to make of it a good hobby tool. I guess  Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19698.msg129953.html#msg129953

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: