[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline vector180Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:30:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all,
This is not a typical find a relic or piece of historic treasure but its certainly an interesting and common problem for us archers. I feel you guys are the closest to a possible answer.

We have two problems and Ill start with the easiest.

1)Imagine your at a football ground (no one around) Shoot an arrow at 45 deg to the ground and following a typical parabolic trajectory it will end up stuck in the ground, feathers in the air for all to see. Easy to find Wink However shoot the same arrow parallel to the ground and it will hit the ground just off parallel. It very neatly buries itself usually in the roots of the grass. ie not under the dirt but fully concealed by the grass.

The arrows are made of either wooden, carbon or aluminium shafts and steel or brass heads(between 70 and 200grains of metal. These heads are the common denominator and its what I am focusing on to find them.
Often you can feel the shafts under your feet and like a land mine their shafts often snap when you step on them so this is not the best way of finding them. The arrows can be scattered and fall within about a 20-30sq meter area.

Because the metal is so close to the surface and the surface is fairly clean (mowed grass)I anticipate a simple metal detector would do the job. I wouldn't think there is an awful lot of other metal items around either. But I understand from other posts that some soils/menerals can give false readings.
I have had one chap try his (real cheap looking $50) unit and it was useless. It didnt seem to be a discrimination more a lack of sensitivity.

2) This is much harder. We shoot arrows into targets in the bush(forest). The arrows may land in amongst brambles, trees and undergrowth. The area is not as well defined but the arrows are generally not dug in just simply camouflaged by their surroundings.

I have come across this device in my surfing but dont know anyone who has one or how good it might be.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

arrow recover device
This device maybe a simple PI based on the Vibra Probe like units.
The fact that it is compact is a bonus Im also assuming by its size that its a fairly simple detector.

I wondered if a security wand detector(which seem to be available cheaply) is a similar device.

Many thanks for any thoughts

I should add I have a fair electronics background and I am looking to build/adapt a device myself.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3804.msg26015.html#msg26015

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:42:57 pm by vector180 »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: