[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When it comes to metal detecting alot of us go in to the detector store and want to buy the best we can afford
or just buy the one that has all the hype in the adverts and the magazines, I myself in the early days fell in that
hole,
I asked what was the best machine on the market and at the time was the GP3500, i was told that it had limited
discrimination and it would work down to about 8 to 10" so i bought it thinking that this beast was gonna change
my world and i had the only one around so if it was there then it was me who was going to find it so at the mear
price i jumped in boots and all ?2484.00 = $4043.45c .
Upon my first trip i dug holes like you would'nt believe, big enough to put a small car in, so not put off i went home
and thought it was just that i'd left the book at home. When i bought that monster i also bought my son/me the
minelab muskateer advantage and i could understand how that low priced machine could do so well and walk all over
my singing all dancing GP3500, then i still had my dreams of finding treasure and gold, so i resigned my self that
when i go back to OZ i'd be set and all would be mine, Detecting
So now i was reduced to using this lowly muskateer, this being the second time i was proved wrong that machine
found more coins than i had left in the bank and that was in the first week.
After about six months i was getting bothered by bits of Iron so back to the shop i went and looking in the new
minelab catalog there was my prey THE SOVEREIGN GT , yes yes yes all that unbrideled power, Step aside
I'm coming through, off for two weeks in york at my brother in laws house built in 1845+/- a yr,
after drivin two hundred miles and five hours of stop start traffic and numb from the waist down i was fearless
out the truck coffee down me neck and i was in to it, Now what did the guy in the shop say Huh? Oh yeah just turn
it on and turn it up and off ya go  Angry Angry Angry
Well that did'nt work so i just left it in auto  Club after 4 or 5 days I'd had enough so i was changing coils like
a man possest, that did'nt work then i thought what have i done and i wanted my musky back, like a love sick fool.
Well enough was enough time to fiddle with the switches and then the world turned and i was on a mission, if it
beeped i dug it up so i was happy again but one target really amazed me from 17 inches down and 15 minutes of
diggin out came a 30 gram lead soldier that stood 1 1/4" high but there was still a target in the ground and after
a quick rumage i found the base plate on which he was once welded, There was two people watching me waiting
to see what had me working so hard and they could'nt believe the depth and nor could I.
anyway when i returned home i went to the fields where everyone else goes but then my GT would not work very
well at all, after messing with all the knobs, switches still no good, and i tried for a few days to no avail,
History was not to be mine, buying 8 more coil due to miss-information, still no good,
Well one day i was at my buddies house and he got out his trusty MXT which did not impress me much coz i was
a snob loyal to my countries products, and then he showed me a trick test and my machine would not do it,
This bugged me for about six months or more and deep down i knew he was right.
Well then after a phone call from him i had the ump again so off to the shop again and back with the new MXT 300
Still keeping my sovereign gt i noticed i was not using it so then i went after multi frequency machine and sold the
sovereign and bought the new one, and that did'nt work here either,
All in All the bottom line is dont buy the detector that has the best adverts buy the one that suits the areas you
are going to search and ask others in you're area and ask the guys in the shops. theres no bad detectors just bad
choices, coz every machine i ever bought was brilliant, It's just that i used them in the wrong sites,
So just remember to ask all the questions that i forgot and happy hunting to you all. AU

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22091.msg153870.html#msg153870

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:05:45 pm by auminesweeper »
Offline Texcam
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the nice read and great post.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22091.msg153938.html#msg153938

Garrett AT PRO, White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks TEX, I just thought that with everyone who comes on here asking about things whats the best detector E.T.C
I thought it was fitting to share some of my efforts of how not to buy detectors, and maybe i can save them some money,
and get them of to a better start.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22091.msg153963.html#msg153963

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bravo auminesweeper   Clapp Clapp Clapp excellent post !!  Great   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22091.msg153966.html#msg153966

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline Steveo
Bronze Member

dug so deep I hit #9 coal
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's M6  :   Garrett 1350 :  Coinmaster tr : Tesoro silver umax : Garrett ace 150
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:42:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks AU for the post
This will make a feller think before acting....
I also like "theres no bad detectors just bad choices"  Great
Myself I can't have that problem,I just don't have the extra money to make a mistake on buying a detector more then once.I have to make sure the first time that I'm buying the right detector for the task at hand.... Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22091.msg154081.html#msg154081

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes Steveo i agree and it's when you've bought one of these wonderful things thats when you start to question your self and the regretes start, coz it's not like the reviews because your gound in your area is like a land fill site and thats not funny.

thanks for taking the time to read it and share your views

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22091.msg154086.html#msg154086

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: