[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Tdix267Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ace 250
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey all....i have a garrett ace 250 and i was thinking about getting a new coil. I have been detecting for about 6 months.The coil on the ace is ok, but i think i need more depth, and i dont want to miss targets. I dont want to buy a new detector but i think im missing out. I was lookin at the 8.5 x 11 dd......is it worth it???  Thanks for any input....T.E.D.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20342.msg134111.html#msg134111

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:21:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Is it worth having? Yes. Will it get you more depth? Possibly no, but you will find bigger targets at the same depth.

Contrary to popular belief, a bigger coil does not always mean more depth. Your depth is dependent upon your ability to pick out a target from the background chatter. Every detector does it. You have tiny warbles, whispers and other indications that make you wonder if something really is down there. The skill you possess as an operator will get you targets that others leave behind. Also, turning off ALL notch filtering and discrimination will get you deeper targets by almost double what you are used to. I tested an Ace 250 with a stock coil and recovered a 20c piece at 24 inches clear as a bell. Then, I buried it at 30 inches and got a whisper of a return that was not present on both swings of the coil. If I hadn't known there was a coin down there, it would still be there.

Do you hunt alone or with a more experienced detectorist? Sometimes it pays to listen to those who have been around a while. Save yourself a bit of pocket change for now. Try some slow search patterns with the discrimination and notches set to none. Go over the same ground where you found some good stuff and see how you do. I'm betting you'll be back all excited with your new, increased depth.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20342.msg134151.html#msg134151

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:30:59 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Dirt Devil
Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:10:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Time for school and I'm the student.
GD,how does turning off the discrim, help in getting better depth?
I have my md set that when I hit a coin lets say a dime I will hear a belltone ring.
Iron and most all other trash will simply be a standard beep and will register lower on the screen aswell.
When I discrim. out the iron and other trash items I will not be able to find that same dime at the same
depth as I would with the discrim set to zero,is this what your saying?
If this dime were 20 inchs down and I was running 0 discrim would I still get the belltone ring
or would it sound like all other metal,just a beep?
I live in the farm land of Indiana and if I do not discrim out some of the junk I will spend most of the
day digging junk.Bolts,nuts,broken plow tips and the list goes on.

V-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20342.msg134256.html#msg134256

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you358

Activity
10%
Male
Australia

6100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:37:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

did you say a 20c coin at 24 inches?
did you say you got a whisper at 30 inches?
did you mean to say centimeters?
then again if that is the case I need an Ace 250.forget the rest

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20342.msg134258.html#msg134258

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:33:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

V-burgh and Nickel-n, the depth was in inches, not centimeters. An Australian 20c piece is the same size as the US half dollar. Be mindful that these were coins I buried to test the machine. I hired it from a local shop when I thought I was going to buy one. I'd still buy one but the import duties here drive the cost to astronomical, as you know, compared to prices in the US. My next machine will be a Fisher F-75. Nickel-n, I suggest you hire an Ace 250 before you spend the $500.00 to buy one locally. I'll buy my Fisher on my next trip to the US.

V-burgh, your discrimination builds a notch reject into the response of the Ace 250. If you could look at the notches that each metal item produces you'd have a whole row of downward pointing V shapes - this is a baby-talk style of description for those who are technically minded. Some of the notches overlap and one item can fall partly or entirely inside the notch of another. A prime example of this is the notch for a pop top and a small gold ring. The ring falls entirely inside the pop top notch so when you eliminate them, you also eliminate small gold rings. Because of that, setting up an iron reject notch can cause you to miss copper coins. The older the coin, the larger the halo. Also, during the use of a machine that has notch reject on, you will have moments of silence to keep from detecting that pesky thing you notched out. Recovery from that silent moment isn't instantaneous. The time will vary and as you move your coil along, you may have silenced it over a target you wanted to see.

Experienced detector users know this and curse every pop top until they remove that gold ring every now and again. In some cases, the notches for coins overlap just a bit and you can miss one that is not laying perfectly flat in the ground. You can also lose a great amount of depth from notching out your returns when an item has a halo of metal around it. Copper coins and iron targets can build up a halo of corrosion around them which look identical to your machine.

Just try it without discrimination for a few hours. Dig every single target and see if your machine tells you the truth 100% of the time. I know you will be surprised at how much you would have missed. You'll also see your keeper bucket filling up faster. After you try this, you'll be scheduling time to go back over all those areas you now consider hunted out.

Posted on: December 29, 2010, 09:18:16 PM
Quote:Posted by v-burgh
I live in the farm land of Indiana and if I do not discrim out some of the junk I will spend most of the day digging junk.Bolts,nuts,broken plow tips and the list goes on.

You only have to dig it once, mate. Think about all the things hidden very close to those things or even below them. How many tiny treasures have you missed? I know, it sounds like drudgery but the first time you pull out a large cent or a Barber coin after you remove a bolt, you will be dancing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20342.msg134341.html#msg134341

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Dirt Devil
Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:25:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD
   Thanks for the heip,makes alot lot of sense to me.
A teacher once told me the only stupid question was the one you never asked.....
If you don't ask then you will never know,and that my freind I would consider stupid.

And by the way whats up with the F-75
Got some inside secrets you would like to share with the rest of us.
Think this baby is going to out do your old groundhog? Cheesy Cheesy

Thats why I keep comeing back,you fellers have all the answers.

Regards

V-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20342.msg134405.html#msg134405

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: