[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline RambledogTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:23:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Where is a good place to compare MDs?  I have a little experience now with my Ace 250 and I am pleased with it.  But I know there are other detectors with a loyal following of die-hard detectorists, each one swearing by the brand they own as if it far surpasses all the others.

It would seem like comparing Fords and Chevies, or NIssans and Toyotas.  It's really all a matter of what you feel comfortable with, because they'll all get you down the road.  But maybe I'm wrong.  Is there a machine out there (for less than a thousand $) that really shines?

The more experience one has with any detector, the more likely they are to recommend it.  But I want to hear from the folks who have actually owned several brands and how they feel about detectors in general.

Also, what about some of the major bells and whistles that i see on some units, like the ability to save and upload/download settings?  Is it really that useful?

My Ace has a solid "ding" tone of various pitches, depending on the conductivity of the target, but I understand that some units put out an analog (smooth) sound that changes in pitch, according to the type of target.  It would seem more useful than the "dings" that I experience with the Ace.

Also what about all the hype about ground balance?  Some say the Ace has factory-set ground balance, some say it is automatic.  My experience has been to adjust the sensitivity a notch if I keep getting false signals.  Is this really important with the Ace?

The Ace seems to work well for coin shooting, but is there another companion or compliment to the Ace that I should have that will see things differently?

Thanks for reading.  Any input could help this newbie get a better hold on this fascinating hobby.  HH to all!

Rambledog in Oregon

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg45324.html#msg45324

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:08:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Rambledog,

well, first of all I think there are basically two places where you can compare detectors and get hands on expirience:

1. At a dealer offering various brands
2. At an unbiased club meeting

The Garrett ACE is a good beginner machine but of course more expensive machines will outwork it. Those will basically have better depth and target ID / Discrimination.

For under 1k I would recommend taking a look at the following machines:

- Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
- Minelab SE

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg45414.html#msg45414

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:19:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

If all you plan on hunting is coin's in park's  ,Then a 1000 dollar detector is a waste of money for clad shooting . Tesoro Ciobla is a good machine and does go deep and is 425 in Canada ,not sure about the States......Also if you want to hunt relic's then the tesoro Tejon would be your best bet for the price ,,,,I use to swing an ACE250 but i am not getting into that on this thread  Cheesy   What ever you decide research and find out what best suit's your need's

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg45416.html#msg45416

Offline saltfisher
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250, Whites Prizm 4
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:05:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

ACE 250 is a awesome coin machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg45421.html#msg45421

Offline Rick104
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,Fisher Gold$trike and Coin$trike, Garrett GTI 2500,Minelab Eureka Gold, Pioneer 505
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:09:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

[clapp]Sounds like you are getting some good advice Detecting
Rick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg47827.html#msg47827

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 02:32:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Everyone . I think the Best Metal Detector models are the ones that can work on very salty beaches and work in the worst soil conditions like in highly mineralized or super trashy areas . A super deep VLF metal detector is "useless" if it starts to chatter or falses at low sensitivity level settings . Others are welcome to comment here .

Best Regards.........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg47833.html#msg47833

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:33:58 pm by Eugene52 »

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline Rick104
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,Fisher Gold$trike and Coin$trike, Garrett GTI 2500,Minelab Eureka Gold, Pioneer 505
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting A well designed PI works very well under those conditions like Whites TDI or minelabs series of PI units unfortunatly vlfs are still not designed to work well in highly mineralized conditions which generally means nuggett shooting, Wise prospecting with a metal detector!!
keep your coil to the soil
Rick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg47836.html#msg47836

Offline Zectron2348
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Coinstrike
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:51:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rambledog,

It all depends on you, what you want, and feel you can trust and are comfortable with. 

I have had many of the top detectors out there, (Minelab Explorer, Soverign- White's XLT, DFX,- Fisher CZ5, Coinstrike,- Tesoro Lobo ST, Cortes, Bandito II, and many others)............ and I mainly coin shoot in parks and school yards. I'm afraid I don't totally agree with the statement that if all you do is coin shoot you don't need the high dollar machines. Again, it depends on you. I was a person who always wondered if I missed something when using one machine or the other, I bought better machines and reworked the old areas, ............. and YES, I had missed things with the cheaper and less advanced machines. Now it could be argued that it was me and not the machine who missed in previous visits, ...... and that could possibly be true. But for me personally as I learned and mastered each machine, .... I discovered my favorites which I developed more trust in to find whatever was there. There were machines which if I used that machine on an area, there was no doubt in my mind I found whatever was there to be found, and I confirmed that many times.

I am just returning to detecting after a few years away, and you can be sure that I have some specific machines in mind that I would like to pick-up. Machines that were my favorites in the past. I just recently purchased a Fisher Coinstrike, and will be looking at a Whites XLT or MXT, and possibly another Minelab Explorer. I also think very highly of the Tesoro line of detectors, and will be looking at getting another Lobo ST, or possibly one of their newer machines. In my opinion Tesoro makes some of the "best bang for the buck" detectors out there, solid and dependable.

Dont know if this helped you much, but be aware that it can be a real expensive hobby if you let it be by worrying about your machine's capability, ...... or you can get a good machine, master it, be comfortable with it, ....... use it, ............ and have fun finding cool stuff and don't worry about all that other. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg48056.html#msg48056

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:52:51 pm by Zectron2348 »
Offline RambledogTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey guys!  Thanks for the feedback and tips.

I have a few more hours detecting under my belt since last week.  I must say, I learn more each time I go out.  But here's a question for you:

On a typical hunt around some Oregon farmland, I often will get a signal on the ACE 250 that rings clear like a coin.  The depth indicator says the target is 6" deep.  I pull out the Garrett Pro Pointer and scan the ground with the side of the unit, often picking up the signal with that.  Then I point the unit downward and zero in on the location using the end.  So far, so good. I have a 1" diameter area.

So I dig around the area with my trusty Harbor Freight hunting knife, and fold over a plug.  Checking again with the PP, I determine the target is not in the plug, but still in the hole. (stronger signal now).

So I dig for a bit, maybe down to 10 inches, and the signal does not really get any stronger, but it holds that there is something right below.  So now I dig even deeper, widening the hole as I go.  But the target eludes me.  The PP says it is right below, but I go deeper yet and still no find.

Then, all of a sudden the signal disappears!  No, it is not in the dirt removed from the hole.  What gives?

Perplexed Rambledog in Oregon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg48064.html#msg48064

Offline Rick104
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 12:59:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello I get the same false signals from my Garrett GTI 2500!! all of my other detectors don't false but my GTI does I think it my be inhairent to garretts circuits, your sensitivity may also be set a little high Round About
Happy Hunting
Rick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7328.msg48110.html#msg48110

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: