[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline PaulSRQTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F75, Garrett ACE 250, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:28:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just thought I'd get your opinions on detecting on a baseball field. The old ball fields at my public park are groomed and maintained daily by grounds crew. I haven't felt comfortable going on the in-field dirt or the outfield grass to detect. They do get used pretty much daily by neighborhood teams and weekend school teams. I don't think anybody would bother me, but my comfort level just isn't there. Any advice or experiences?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8902.msg55947.html#msg55947

Offline sammygirl
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

560.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Prizm II
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:54:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I requested permission from my local police dept, they told me it was part of the park, and if there were no games being played, I could go at it. Hope this helped! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8902.msg55950.html#msg55950

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 01:41:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Go Sunday mornings.  Every thing is low-key at that time.   I used to hit a lot of athletic fields then and was never bothered.   Even local high school football fields were not immune to my digging tool.

I had fair luck at baseball diamonds, especially like where parents sat on bleachers or sat out on folding lawn chairs to watch the kiddies play ball.   Needless to say if there is a refreshment stand check that out.

Unless it is a very old field you will not get any silver, just clad, and usually on the girl's softball field you will get some cheap costume jewelry and hair ornaments and doodads.  Here's a tip.   I'm throwing it in for free.  On the girl's softball field, check out the infield.  Especially between the pitcher's rubber and home plate.  Why?  Because thats where most of the action takes place in softball and all girls just have to wear some sort of rings or earrings even when they play ball.   I found a lot of el cheapo rings just to the left of that imaginary line between the rubber and home plate as most pitchers are right handers and the throwing hand would come across their body on the release of the ball.   Sure, you are not going to get rich or even pay for your detector hunting there but they do make for some interesting finds and you do never know.   You could hit gold or even a diamond.    I have never had the opportunity to hunt a woman's softball field, where adult women play.   There, I would imagine, you would strike occasional gold or mine an odd diamond or two from time to time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8902.msg55957.html#msg55957

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I hunt old baseball fields and do very well, seems to be more finds in left field little less in center field(more right handed batters) and along the first base line and near second base. Check around the bleachers and the outside fence. Have found silver in the older ones. I hunt them after the season and on Sunday mornings, never had a problem, if you see a care taker i'm sure you will gain permission....Good Luck & keep on huntin.....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8902.msg55962.html#msg55962

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:38:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As a big time baseball player in my youth, I would caution you to be very careful when digging. Players wear spiked shoes and a divot not properly replaced can cause an injury. Fill all holes and minimize the damage you do.

On the other hand, behind the backstop is always great for coin finds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8902.msg55968.html#msg55968

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: