[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 04:09:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In areas where there is snow, there are sledding hills. Go find them this year, make note of them on your handy dandy map, and go back there in the spring. Kids and adults lay on their sleds, facing down hill on sleds and drop all manner of things from their pockets. And the things dropped are nearly impossible to find in the snow. But you can find them after the thaw.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg118765.html#msg118765

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 04:34:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes my friend! That's a great idea and we do have many of those. Actually my wife lost two 14kt bracelets in the snow last year in the front of our house and never found them. I tried with my brand new and first MD when I received it in June, but I'm afraid it was wayyy too late. They were gone like fresh popcorn in a theater.  Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg118772.html#msg118772

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:50:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

sled hills rock!!!!!!!,shiller park has a couple,check'um out.....also theres an old sled hill around milwaukee and devon by superdogs,the whole woods there has been a gathering spot for at least the past 50-60 years for Poles,Hispanics

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg118872.html#msg118872

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline Dirt Devil
Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 06:22:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What I look for in search of the silver coin.
I am no pro by any means and most of my coinshooting is done in rural[farmhouses ect.]
First thing is take the change out of your pocket and look at the dates on all the coins.
Odds are there are not many if any older than 20 yrs.
What year was the property built that you are looking to hunt.
If the property was built lets say 1970 ,that would be the first year people were active or had the chance to start losing
any coins on this property.1970 -  20 yrs =1950  Odds are your not going to find many coins older than 1950.
Moral of the story is that I look for properties built from 1950 or earlier in search of the silver coin.

V-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg128869.html#msg128869

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 08:10:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by v-burgh
If the property was built lets say 1970 ,that would be the first year people were active or had the chance to start losing
any coins on this property.1970 -  20 yrs =1950  Odds are your not going to find many coins older than 1950.
Moral of the story is that I look for properties built from 1950 or earlier in search of the silver coin.

Good pointer.   Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind, though, especially in modern subdivisions......while the house in the subdivision may only date to 1970, there may be one or two lucky pieces of property that are located on the site of the old farm house or other structure that was torn down years before the subdivision went up.   That's only going to help if you can find the location of the original homestead buildings before you start searching, but it is worth keeping in mind. 

Also, in heavily populated areas where there has been a lot of in-filling, if you can find a small pocket of newer homes surrounded by older homes, you just might have found yourself an old ballpark or similar hangout for the kids that grew up in the older homes.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg128898.html#msg128898

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:15:53 pm by BitburgAggie_7377, Reason: expanding on comment »
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My house was built in the early 1930s and the backyard has nothing  Angry . Have tried with all my machines and has come up with nothing but trash. There is an area of the house in which I must do some MD but it is right now covered with debri from a recent remodeling. I'll have it removed soon and will see what goodies are there to be found. I did find a rosie in the neighbors front yard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg128906.html#msg128906

Offline Dirt Devil
Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:31:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

I agree with BA 100 percent.
However without having to do a lot of research to find the location of these properties of the past,simply look for a property built 1950 or earlier,most of my silver coin finds have came from these types of property.
I have been skunked as well on properties built prior to 1950.
You must not forget you are not the only person owning a metal detector.
Even the less expensive detectors from years ago would find silver coins like a magnet.
How many times have you been driving down the road and seen a group of kids out playing with a 50$ radio shack
metal detector? I have several times and the last group I seen I believe was in your yard.LOL

V-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg128955.html#msg128955

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 07:23:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

I too agree that good coins can be near the surface and picked up by any MD. My first Seated dime was not even 4 inches down and so I have no idea how it escaped all the hunters over the years! There are good things in backyards and that's one of my projects for the next hunting season!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18289.msg128992.html#msg128992

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: