[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline occupantTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Land Star, Ground Hawk
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:05:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Winter is getting old.  I'm ready for Spring and some nice weather.  But, since I'm still stuck inside, I wanted to try an experiment that may prove valuable when it is time to get outside and begin Treasure Hunting again.

Time and again we have been told that the shape of the detector's search field beneath the coil would look like a 'snow cone' if we could see it. Pointing down into the ground like a "V".  I do recall reading one article that described it more as half of a basketball, which always seemed  more accurate to me. But I still didn't know for sure.  So, how much should I overlap my swings in order not to miss anything? The following experiment gave me the answer and forever changed the way I will use my detector.

I used a cardboard box with two shallow slots cut in it to support the detector (see MDsetup.jpg) and a second box, about half as tall, to support a large piece of paper at the center of the search coil.

The detector I used for this test is a Bounty Hunter LandStar from 2001.  The LandStar is a 3 tone detector and has both a Discriminate mode and a No Motion All Metal Mode along with a Ground Balance control.  As on most detectors, the amount of discrimination can be adjusted.  Headphones were used. (I like the Koss or Sony earbuds. Cheap and comfortable)

Settings for the test were: Sensitivity at half scale or about 5 on a scale of 10. Discrimination control at 0 (fully counterclockwise) so all types of metal would be detected and indicated by one of the 3 tones. All the tests were conducted using a U.S. 5cent piece (Nickel). 

When in All metal Mode, Ground Balance was at the Preset or fully clockwise position.

When in All Metal Threshold, the Ground Balance control was turned counterclockwise till a tone was heard in the headphones, then back clockwise until the tone was barely audible (the Threshold).

The test was done with 5" (5inchcoil.jpg), 8" (8inchcoil.jpg)and 10" coils. (10inchcoil.jpg)

With the detector on and set as noted above and paper in place, the 5cent piece was waved in front of the search coil and when a tone was heard, the position of the coin was marked on the paper.  After 10 or a dozen points were plotted, it was easy to see the general shape of the search field. 

Performance in Discriminate Mode was very disappointing! Of course, doing this same test with a more conductive target would give better performance, and iron seems to almost 'pull' the search field out from the coil.  But the low conductivity of the nickel coin gives me a fairly good idea of how the detector would respond to gold, which is also lower in conductivity than silver or copper.

Detection depth went up dramatically when the detector was used in All Metal and another increase in depth is seen when the Threshold technique is used.  Some will argue that an air test is not a real test of the abilities of a detector, and I agree.  The proof is in the ground.  But I do contend that depth in ground will never exceed the depth of an air test.  Even the mildest ground will have some mineral content that will diminish the capabilities of a detector.

I hope all of you reading of this experiment will try it with your detector and post the results here. Hopefully this will get some of you off the couch and learning more about your detector and making more and better 'finds' when Spring does get here.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76100.html#msg76100

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

10inchcoil.jpg
5inchcoil.jpg
8inchcoil.jpg
MDsetup.jpg

Offline CANI
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

545.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TESORO, GARRETT, BOUNTY HUNTER
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:10:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm gonna try this test on my compadre, thanks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76102.html#msg76102

THANKS, CANI

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:29:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting experiment, Occupant.    Just looking at your graphic results, it looks like the 1/2 coil width overlap per sweep rule of thumb still works out to a good standard.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76104.html#msg76104

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:29:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

occupant  That is a great report very interesting Thanks for sharing it with us

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76105.html#msg76105

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Land Star, Ground Hawk
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi CANI. Great, I look forward to seeing the results.  

I was surprised that with the 10" coil and the detector set to Discriminate, the nickel wasn't seen till it was all the way under the small center 'receive' coil. In effect the 10" coil was only seeing 5" wide. So, if each swing was moved forward the width of the coil, which seems to be the usual recommendation, only 25% of the ground under the swing was searched! The area under the 5" center being only one fourth of the area under the full 10 diameter. (3.14 times the  radius squared) Area under the 5" dia. center receive coil = 19.6 sq. in.  Area under the whole 10" outer coil= 78.5 sq. in. Then there was the meager 3.25 inch depth too.  I'll be doing the same experiment with another detector soon. Stay tuned.
Hi Aggie,
True. Half coil diameter overlap looks just about right.  I read in a post somewhere to "place two basketballs side by side so they touch and look at the open space between them where they touch the floor.  That is what you get when advancing a full coil width between sweeps."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76111.html#msg76111

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:18:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A double D coil will have different results compared to a concentric coil. What type of coil do you have? What you are doing is a good way to learn more about your detector. Great     John in Va.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76123.html#msg76123

Johnlaw

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Land Star, Ground Hawk
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:36:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good point John.  The coils I tested are all concentric coils. The 8" comes standard on the detector. Don't have a DD, but that would be an interesting comparison. Hopefully, someone on the forum will do this test with a DD coil and post the results here.

What part of VA. are you in?  I'm near the coast with a couple of great detecting sites near Smithfield & Surry and another near Charlottesville.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76127.html#msg76127

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:39:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You missed one area to test. The sides of the coil. In theory, there should be a spike in sensetivity at the coil edges but if they have added a Faraday shield on the edge. that won't be present.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76159.html#msg76159

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:38:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by occupant
Good point John.  The coils I tested are all concentric coils. The 8" comes standard on the detector. Don't have a DD, but that would be an interesting comparison. Hopefully, someone on the forum will do this test with a DD coil and post the results here.

What part of VA. are you in?  I'm near the coast with a couple of great detecting sites near Smithfield & Surry and another near Charlottesville.
Quote:Posted by occupant

Occupant......I'm in the Northern Neck of Va.."Warsaw Area". There's some good hunting in Va..
Enjoy the hobby, have a good day..John in Va

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76217.html#msg76217

Johnlaw

Offline Morris
Pull Tab

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White, BountyHunter, Fisher
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:23:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good experiment John. It will give you an Idea of what the pattern is. I have used the table detecting experiment and held different obejects under the coil to see how far it searches and kept a visual memory record. I like the cardboard box idea. If I find some time I will do it and take a pic of my results and post them. I also agree that an air test is not accurate of what the detector can really do. I believe in the ground one may be able to find an object a bit deeper then in an air test at times. I have found that the amount of moister in the soil can determine how much deeper the coil can search. Springtime detecting is deeper then hot summers when the ground is dry I have noticed and it is also much easier to dig in some soils when it is moist. I find some soils in Minnesota get rock hard in the Summer and almost impossible to dig. The amount of time that a coin or object is in the ground can make a difference also. If a coin is in the ground for several years you may find that when searching, the coin will give a reading of something bigger then it really is. It seems the soil sorrounding the coin will take on a signal simular to the coin. I have used a Fisher 553D for all my detecting and I recently upgraded to a White Classic 5ID and a Bounty Hunter 505. I am sure the discrimination is much better then the 30 year old Fisher that I have used in the past.  I am looking forward to gettin back into detecting more and having better results with the new detectors.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11805.msg76671.html#msg76671

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: