[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Alfu2uTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Explorer Se Pro
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:43:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

From glory days to a broken heart...

Hello,

My name is Al and I recently moved to South Carolina from Rhode Island. I arrived here on June first of last year. Once I got down here, things started going down hill for me. I went out to do some detecting at my neighbor's farm about three weeks after arriving and I started not feeling very well. I chalked it up to the southern heat which I wasn't use to but it was starting to get worse instead of better. I started getting a shortening of breath and dizziness. I thought I must be allergic to something in the area, so I went to a local urgent care facility in hopes of getting something for the allergy. When they checked my blood pressure, it was off the charts. I was hooked up to an EKG and they determined that I was in Congestive Heart Failure!

I've always been a very healthy individual. I've been an avid martial artist for 30 years. I've been detecting every weekend for quite a few years and I've never been really sick a day in my life. Anyway, I was sent immediately to the hospital and found myself in the ICU so they could figure out what was going on with me. After about four days, they found that I had Hyperthyroidism which in turn gave me Grave's disease. The Grave's disease affected the lower vents in my heart, better know as cardiomyopathy. That's what put me into Congestive Heart failure.

They said thank God I didn't wait any longer to go to the urgent care because I would've past away from a massive heart attack. I'm only 46 too. Now, I'm on more pills than the local pharmacy! They are doing the trick though. I now have my Hyperthyroid condition under control and I'm out of Congestive Heart Failure. Good news. Right? Well unfortunately for me, things went from bad to worse.

I got the bill... Now, remember, I had just moved down here and I hadn't even started my new job yet. I had no insurance and I was stuck with a $14,000.00 bill which I had to pay. So, I did what I had to. I sold my car, my son's ps3 gaming system, my 42 inch 3d tv, my home PC and last but most certainly not least, all of my detecting gear. I managed to cover the bill but I'm still not out of the woods totally.

Now that my condition is beginning to improve, the doctors say I need to start walking more to help strengthen my heart again before I am released and can return to work. We all know what the best way to walk is and that's while out detecting! Right? However, now that I'm basically penniless, I have no way of buying a new machine. I've owned many different brands throughout my years of detecting and I settled on two particular companies to which I've stayed most loyal to. Garrett and Minelab, naturally.

I sold my Garrett AT Pro, my Minelab Explorer SE Pro, plus everything I had to go with them. Different coils, different diggers, a few sand scoops and even my Backpack. It's all gone... I sold it all to a guy here for $1,00.00. Needless to say, he was quite thrilled with the purchase.

Please don't think that I am just some poor fool trying to get something for nothing because I'm not. Throughout my years of detecting, I've helped many people with different aspects of their own quests in our wonderful hobby. Funny how for some reason, after I moved down here, no one from where I am from seemed to want to help me out in my time of need. Figures. Right?

Anyway, all I really need is for someone to help me out with my dilemma by possibly getting a detector to me so I can get my health and mind back. If you or anyone you know can and are willing to help, PLEASE, send me an email or a private message so I can restart my own quest of a more treasured life. I really do hate to ask anything of anyone. Believe me. I just don't have anywhere else to turn.

Thanks for listening to me,

Al

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46218.msg252453.html#msg252453

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:57:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Al

Well quite honestly I'm a bit far from you, not to mention that all my detectors are home brew and that at this very moment I'm having an arm wrestle with a VLF detector (but it wont beat me) I'm sure that you will get some response from the other members on the forum just be patient things always come right in the end.

All the best
Xavier     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46218.msg252632.html#msg252632

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello to all...

Al here. I went on my first hunt in 7 months this morning. Got permission to hunt a Civil War battle site which happens to be on private property. Unfortunately, I must've lost some skill during my hiatus because all I pulled out was a bunch of crushed beer cans, two Hotwheels cars and two Memorial pennies... I guess that's what I get for my previous post... I was quite grateful that I found someone who let me use their backup machine. There are still some good people out there.

I shot my first Youtube video as well which I'll be posting once I edit it all together. I'll be sure to leave a link here as well. I apologize if my post seemed out of place and I did post on quite a few different forums basically because I was desperate to get back out there. I have to say, I'm in some pain because I haven't walked that much in a long time. One good thing though, I didn't get winded. Probably because when you detect, you tend to move at a much slower pace than you do when just walking.

If anyone knows anything about Hyperthyroidism, the doctors basically give you medicine that puts you into Hypothyroidism. They then try to balance the drugs until you are neutral. Anyway, while you are in Hypothyroidism, your metabolism slows way down and a big side affect is weight gain. I've weighed 170lbs for like 20 something years. I could eat anything and never gain an oz. Most likely do to my Hyperthyroidism. I'm now at 240lbs.That's a lot of weight to be walking with and my back is killing me but it was well worth it!

I'll try to get out as much as my body will allow and when I can use that machine again... Next weekend, I'm heading to the beach to walk the shore. Hopefully my luck will return and I'll have something better to talk about than just my ailing condition... I could talk all about my escapades of my years detecting in Rhode Island but this is a new chapter in my quest for treasures and I don't feel the need to live in the past. Only forward for me.

I have learned a valuable lesson with this as well and I apologize again if my previous post didn't sound very sincere or that I was trying to pull a fast one on my fellow hobbyists. That really wasn't my intention. I have deleted all of my posts on other forums but if I missed any, please let me know so I can remove it as well.

Thank you all and I hope all is forgiven. Expect to see some great finds from me in the near future. (I hope!)

Al          

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46218.msg252642.html#msg252642

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:03:58 pm by Alfu2u »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:24:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Al, good to see you getting out. The health benefits are huge. It's also good to see you found a detector to use. That was quick.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46218.msg252653.html#msg252653

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:02:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Al  walk that weight off soon. Just had my second heart attack  (shoveling snow) after (a quad and 6 stints and 2 heart attacks) I might have what you described as have to walk and they warned of weight gain as I have been 200 for some time lost 40% of lower heart function. I couldn't think of not detecting after 42 yrs of it,what a wonderful exercise and to meet a bunch of nice people in my lifetime,I can't swing a detector yet till about 3-4 more weeks but like you I take more pills than a sack of M&M's. Alergic to most so stay safe and keep-a-diggin'. With all the tv shows it won't be long till our detecting is cut off anyway.  rwdmo shortribs.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46218.msg253865.html#msg253865

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:57:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your understanding Shortribs. Walking, just plain walking is horrible for me... I try to do it and I can't make it for more than a half hour. When I went detecting though, I was able to walk for a couple of hours and the only issue I had was my back, not my breathing. Detecting will be my route back to a healthier life. Unfortunately, I am without a detector once again. The guy who loaned my the Ace 250 is on vacation and I'm not even sure that he'll be back around. I appreciated his help anyway. It did make me realize that detecting will do the trick. Slow is the way to go!
   Sorry to hear about your health issues as well. I think they're going to put a pacemaker in me at some point, or some other invasive procedure like opening up the lower vents to help the blood flow. I just need to get my heart stronger first. You know what kinda ticked me off about most everyone on other forums was the the way other hobbyists treated me, like some sort of con artist. Granted, I may have been a bit ignorant with my request for help but I've helped so many people with detecting that I took it for granted that's what hobbyists were supposed to do. Help eachother. I gave them more than enough information to check on what I was saying was the truth, like the name of my doctor for instants. Who would make something like my issue up? I guess there are some that would but I gave them all things to check out what I was saying was the truth and instead of just checking out what I was saying, they just cast stones. Frankly, even though I know it's not the right thing to do, it made me not want to help out anyone ever again... You know what though... That's just not really in me and the next time I'm back on my feet, I'll be helping some newbi with some aspect of their quest. Maybe I am the sucker...

Thanks again.

Al 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46218.msg253897.html#msg253897

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: