[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 01:06:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
If I recall correctly, prior to the move to Malaysia, Minelab had a factory in Ireland....and I didn't hear any grumblings then of Aussie jobs being lost to the Irish. Go figure

Now this is True and you are Right my friend,

But the Factory In Ireland was only created so that europe had access to Minelab Products and the Fact is the Ireland Factory is responcible for nearly all the Hi Tech design work on the Xterra series and research carried out by Des Dunn who I know quite well, along with the fact that my sister-in-laws Uncle awarded Bruce Candy with an award for his companies work within this industry,

The issue I have is that they have should have kept their own people in work and if their Design blue prints had stayed within Australia then Minelab would have a lesser Fraud problem to deal with, And it is their greed for profits that has made them move their factories over to Asia of which they seem to have little or no control, But saying that there is no reason why they cant boost productivity by having factories in Australia, North America, Europe or the Middle East And Asia.

Minelab has also been noted for Alledged Price Fixing which is why a Detector cost $4000 in the US but that same Detector cost £4000 in the UK which works out to be $6000 so why does it cost $2000 more in the UK than in the US,

Now as for Asia doing Aussie's work is not my point, My point is that Minelab cut corners and then blaim others when it all goes wrong, Yet they take jobs from the Country that supported them through the early years when they were nothing,

Theres an old saying and it goes like this!!!

Be Carefull who you Tread on on the way up because its a long fall back down,

As for Asia some of the finest things in the world come from over there, and I Truely believe that because I own such things.

Hobbyist, you know me well as a friend and a Treasure hunter so please dont take offence at my post because you know me better than that, because my comment about moving their factories to Asia it Dirrected at Minelab NOT ASIA,

Blessin's AU

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46820.msg256920.html#msg256920

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 02:45:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
Hobbyist, you know me well as a friend and a Treasure hunter so please dont take offence at my post because you know me better than that, because my comment about moving their factories to Asia it Dirrected at Minelab NOT ASIA,

AU, I do know you better than that, and rest assured no offence was taken at all. The thing is large-scale manufacturing these days is globalized, and the maximization of profits while minimizing costs should be the goal of every company. Globalization did not happen overnight, and back when the Irish plant was closed, it didn't enter much into the thoughts of joe consumer, unlike nowadays where we see, and are aware of every CEO and his dog would outsourcing work if it meshed with their corporate goals. It's something we have to accept, even though it may rankle and chafe. Maybe I should have written all this in my prior post instead of the flippant "Go figure".

I'm sure that European customers still had access to Minelab products after the closure of the Irish operations, so there would be other justifications for that closure, as well as not establishing factories in the US or Oz. Taxation would be the first thing that springs to mind, much like what we see today in Apple trying it's best to keep most of its profits from attracting US tax rates by keeping a lot of money offshore. The waters run deeper than just trying to find cheaper labor.

As for blueprints falling into the wrong hands connected to a brain with ill-intent of piracy, industrial espionage has been going on for a long time. And even if blueprints were not available, it's no mean trick to reverse-engineer a product just by purchasing a unit to dissect.

Minelab can get away with charging differing prices in various locations because they are no fools and will charge whatever a certain market will bear. Mind you, I feel it's unfair too...but that's business. Milk 'em for all that you can! And by the looks of things, they're getting away with it. How's this for a bit of irony: I can't (if I wanted to) buy a Minelab product straight from the factory where it's made, even tho I live here! The products are sent back to Oz for finishing touches (which possibly includes some quality checks) before being sent off for sale.

Now, you're probably a much more seasoned treasure hunter than I am. But do you think it wise to deny yourself of the best tool for the job at hand? I'm not saying Minelab is the best, but if you know that a machine from them would give you the desired results, it'd be to your benefit to bite the bullet and hit the buy button. Of course you have your reasons for boycotting that company; but speaking for myself, I'd not let anything like that get in the way of my goal. You know I swing American detectors as well as Turkish (the much-bashed and maligned Nokta which I really love), anda few other machines from European countries which I've never mentioned before.

Kumayre, I applaud you for doing your due diligence. As long as you purchase from an authorized Minelab distributor, the product should be up to their standards and covered by their warranty, regardless of where Minelab makes it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46820.msg256934.html#msg256934

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes Hobbyist I agree with you, I wasnt aware that the Ireland Branch had closed??,

The fisrt detector I bought from Minelab was the Muskateer Advantage and it was a hot deep little machine even in trashy areas so them I bought the GP3500 and it was a Beast but so hard to master in Iron filled sites so I left it at home all the time till someone came along who wanted it then I got the Soveriegn GT that was great too the I made the mistake of my detecting career I went and bought an E-Trac well that drove me nuts, I could wave a coin in front of it and I would get 14 sets if ID numbers for the one coin and the more testing I did the worse it got So like you I switched to American products and I Trippled my finds rate, all within the first week I had found Hammered coins which I had'nt done in over three years then the first day I found 3 lots of gold at the local minelab dealers test site that had been gone over by every brand of detector made since 1978,

The last time I went to buy a minelab product they wanted to charge me $30.00 for a Baseball cap that only months before they were selling for £8.00/$12.00, and when I went to buy some coils they same there had been a 20% price increase when they had just moved their opperations to Asia so they could get the cost down lower, Now either minelad was lying or their dealers are Lying but either way neither are reading from the same page,

I think that they are stupid for not selling you the detector that you want because they then will have to pay freight to send it back to OZ and then ship it back to your local Dealer which is more freight costs, so their move to Aisa is stupid also because although they get them made cheaper they then cut into their profits by sending it on a Cruise twice,
It would make more sence to distribute them from Asia because sending them backwards and forwards is a waste of resorces and profits,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46820.msg256935.html#msg256935

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: