[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline rm2kenTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's MXT
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:32:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

I only have a 9.5 inch coil on my MXT!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg31596.html#msg31596

Offline chansawea
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's multi function
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:54:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here in Michigan I have the same problem with my MXT I only found 2 roosevelt dimes today and 1 was 1 " deep and the other was 7 "s deep. I still get some false  reads but not nearly as bad as before. Every time I put my penny, nickel, and quarter on the ground and adjust my gain to make sure it reads all of them properly. I also put down a bottle cap and a rock. Once I adjust the gain and it reads properly then I get much better results. I hope this helps some - thanks - Ed  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg31602.html#msg31602

Offline Silver seeker
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites mxt  950 coil&6inch dd
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:35:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Try using a double D search coil instead of the 950 concentric.  I use a 6 inch D on my mxt and mineralized ground does not  cause a problem for me , I still can run the gain at 1+. With the mxt anytime you can run the gain higher than the preset (9.5) you will really notice the extra depth.
                I hope this helps you,     

Silver Seeker Waveing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg31694.html#msg31694

Offline rm2kenTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's MXT
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for your suggestions, I will use them in the future!!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg31736.html#msg31736

Offline bob1953
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ads7,gtax550
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 12:57:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

[rider  invest in a double D coil {DD}.  i have not personally used one , but the people i have spoke to are impressed with the added depth.  i usually hunt w a 12" coil on my Garrett ADS 7.  looking at the cx w/ 10x14  DD coil for my next detector. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg31896.html#msg31896

Offline magicsmc
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sea Hunter mark 2,,, Tesoro Sting Ray
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 05:38:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

try a 3 or 4 inch serch coil, or a PI dector

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg35054.html#msg35054

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:09:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I copied this from some place.

It works.

One of the first things you will need to do is decide on how high you want to set your discimination setting to. The discrimination settings are the settings on your metal detector that decide whether or not to register something based on what the sensors tell it. The lower the settings, the more frequently it will find things, the higher, the less things you'll find.

You might think that the best thing to do is set your discrimination all the way zero will get you less bottle caps and more silver, and gold, but that may not be the best idea. Countless beginners over react and set their setting too sensitive, and lose out.

It is a really good idea to keep the settings to zero, or have full metal detection on. Basically, you will be listening to all metal tones in this setting. So the key is, learning to discern a good or semi-good tone from all the target tones. This is a time consuming process but using a good test garden can enhance learning this skill. In many trashy environments this is the best possible method of discrimination. In high trash environments, the trash can hide the good stuff, so having the setting too high, will end up having you lose many opportunities for precious metals.

Lowering the sensitivity level on your detector is the only way that I know to increase good target finds in high trash areas as well as finding some targets that are masked by rejected targets. How much depth loss you get depends on the detector.

When a target is accepted at the lower discriminate level-indicated by a smooth buzzing signal-but changes to a snap or pop when checked, the broken signal alerts the operator to the possibility that a nickel, gold coin or ring has been located. This identifying process can be accomplished in seconds and applies to all metal detectors with two separate discrimination controls.

A favorite discriminating technique is what is termed as reverse discrimination. This technique can be used with all analogue VLF/TR detectors. Search in the VLF all-metal mode and when a target is discovered, pinpoint it to the exact center and place the coil on the soil at that exact point. Without moving the coil, switch the mode to TR and lift the coil from the the soil. If the audio remains the same or decreases you have a good target.

If the signal increases in volume when the coil is lifted the target is bad. This explains the reverse designation for this technique, as in analog detectors, good targets will produce volume and bad targets are silent.

A key point to improving your discrimination with metal detectors that have ground balance controls that are functional in both all metal and discrimination modes, is to make sure you ground balance your detector before adjusting your discrimination. The reason for this is that phase shift takes place in ground balancing and switching into discrimination after ground balancing will avoid any possible phase shift in your discriminator.

Lower your discrimination in almost all treasure hunting environments and yes lower your sensitivity level at the same time. Lower it a little will increase your depth in almost all site areas.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg35057.html#msg35057

Offline Beachcomber
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT C Scope 550 Minelab Quattro Compadre
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:17:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice post, homefire !

I completely agree, and can confirm the sens thing.

In high trash areas, no matter the coil you're using, just crank the sens DOWN, even to the lowest settings.

I know this sounds odd, but with a smaller detection pattern, your detector will look better between the trash.

HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg35101.html#msg35101

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:28:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Running your sensitivity too high can blind the detector with minerals in the ground.   Like trying to see through trash over a target. Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5037.msg35142.html#msg35142

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: