[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldFeverTopic starter
Copper Member

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

28.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 08, 2006, 07:04:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Has anyone ever repelled down a well and dug it out? I found this old bluestone well about 30 feet or so deep. It is in the middle of the woods and appears to be in good shape. Do you think there could be anything in it? Should I dig it?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg1280.html#msg1280

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 09:08:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, I haven't searched in a well yet but I have some expirience with ancient toiletters (don't worry any smell is long gone  Wink) ...

You can find marvellous things in ancient toilettes as people used to dump everything they considered trash (and what we may consider treasure nowadays) into them.

But nack back to the wells. I remember having read on various occasions that lost treasure was hidden in wells. People may have dumped it into the well when they had to do a quick job on hiding their valueables things.

However the bad point is that digging it up will mean lots of work. Thsu if possible you might want to use for exmaple a borehole metal detector first or another deep seeking metal detector. But on the other hand you may also find very old and valueable glass or ceramics in the well which the detector would miss however.

To sum up I think it may be a very interesting venture if you have some helping hands that can assit you with the digging.

If you should give it a try please keep us posted about your finds!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg1282.html#msg1282

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline toolboxdiver
Scuba Privateer
Gold Member

Pirate For Hire
Scuba Privateer
Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1895.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 11:56:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes it sounds like a great project for you and a few helpers, I haven't dug any wells but have found some good coins in old out houses.  Good luck and keep us posted

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg1286.html#msg1286

Toolbox's Diver Down
Commercial and Scuba Diving Service
Underwater Prospecting & Treasure Hunter

Please Register or Login

Offline deuceman
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:39:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I dunno, but it seems like a type of dig to exercise caution and have a buddy along.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg51930.html#msg51930

Offline GregBeam
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites M6. Garrett Ground Hog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 05:34:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Watch out for bad air in the bottom of the well.  CO2 can accumulate in the bottom of a well because CO2 is heavier.

Greg

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg51951.html#msg51951

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

The casings in old abandoned wells often deteriorate, and underground aquifers can easily penetrate them and weaken them further.  Please use EXTREME caution repelling down an old well, because there is a strong possibility that the structure may completely collapse on top of you!  Even if you have a buddy with you, they won't be able to get you out if you have 30 feet of rubble on top of you. No no!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg52047.html#msg52047

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:11:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BackAtcha is absolutely correct. In addition, there are other cautions already mentioned that should keep you from going down. The air down there is just not breathable and even if it is, it won't be for long when you are down there working.

Use a dredge dig bucket instead and a small crane. Then stuff you bring up will be worth searching. Your life is worth the cost of renting the equipment. Any treasure you find will be a bonus.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg52132.html#msg52132

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldFever and fellow members- Greetings-
You have been given some basic precautions- and there are many at the 30 foot depth-an oxygen meter in this situation is a must to test not only for oxygen at a minimum of 19.8% and LEL of 0% because you are now in what is considered a confined space. The LEL will let you know if there could be an explosive situation.Next as already mentioned- cave in- there have been many to die from 7-10 foot cave ins- in much less 30 foot.  I have a vacuum cleaner that run off of air- min 100 lbs.- it is so strong I had to make a special barrel for it to sit on because it will suck the sides in of a 55 gal. drum. I connect PVC pipe to the suction hose and run it down the well. It sucks all the goodys up and no one needs to go down the well. Another way to clean this out is the same way cassons are cleaned out for pouring bridge foundations. With enough air pressure blown down the well - everything will come out. We have seen with enough air pressure that 250 lb. boulders will even come up.
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg52140.html#msg52140

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:42:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Again- I do need to clarify LEL- the LEL will also keep you from being exposed to harmful chemicals that can be detected. I am not certian where you are located but if you are in a coastal area and serious about cleaning this well or cistern - a mirine chemist can test the oxygen for you. However- IF you go down in this you MUST constantly measure the oxygen level. Oxygen can be depleted by rust, the break down of organic material and more.
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg52141.html#msg52141

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:45:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by findoldstuff
Hello Again- I do need to clarify LEL- the LEL will also keep you from being exposed to harmful chemicals that can be detected. I am not certian where you are located but if you are in a coastal area and serious about cleaning this well or cistern - a mirine chemist can test the oxygen for you. However- IF you go down in this you MUST constantly measure the oxygen level. Oxygen can be depleted by rust, the break down of organic material and more.
FOS

Everyone is neglecting the common hazard of methane gas (also called swamp gas, natural gas and sweetgas,) common in wells, cellars and comes out of the soil from natural organic break down sources.... H2S as well. Smelling it will not help, as methane is odorless and H2s anesthetizes your smeller.

Anything designed to measure oxygen would be useless to indicate methane or H2S and while H2S detectors are inexpensive; a simple carbon monoxide detector might detect methane, because these detectors work on the shotgun principle.

Seems to me that H2S detectors are as cheap as $15 or $20, they may not be not qualitative, but will indicate a lethal incidence of the gas.

There is lots of both methane and H2S, in my area, and to work on some jobs you are required to take a course called *H2S Alive.* One of my friends was gassed by H2S, as a *battery* operator, in the oilfield. As an operator, he was required to carry a detector that, incidentally, has a very loud piezo alarm.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,299.msg52175.html#msg52175

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:48:27 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: