[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dleppenTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett Ace 250
« on: July 04, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I spent 3 hours today detecting in a long forgotten and abandoned city park.   Back in the 50's & 60's this was a busy park, so I thought It might be a good place to find somewhat older coins.  But all I found were massive amounts of garbage.  Every swing of my metal detector produced multiple targets.  I didn't find a single coin, but unbelievable amounts of bottle caps, pull tabs, cans, various metal pieces, and bullet casings.  The last one really made me wonder as to why there were so many bullet casings in a city park, but then I remembered that I was in Flint, MI.  Silly me, one of the most violent cities in the mid-west.   Anyway,  Is it possible to effectively search for coins in this park?  Those bottle caps and metal junk pieces keep coming up as silver and you never know on those pull tabs, it could be something good.  Any suggestions on how to tackle this location?  I came accross an older fella walking his dogs, who told me that in the city's hayday this park was lighted at night and people would gather under these lights to hang out and socialize.  He Suggested I try finding some of those old light poles and search around them,  which I will do next time. 
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
dleppen

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16103.msg103454.html#msg103454

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

dleppen, I'm working a site very much like that right now and with my ACE 250. At first I thought it would be a very good site because It was a campground from the 1920's on before it became a park in 1989. I have about 20 hours in so far and the oldest coin a cent, dates from the 60's. No silver yet. There are several things going on here. Since it became a park (21 years ago), a lot of pull tabs have been dropped by day users. The second thing is the 250 goes down about 5-6 inches max for a coin. it's sandy and wet here, good conditions for coins sinking in the ground. I found lots of coins dated in the 1980's at about 4 inches in undisturbed soil. Therefore I figure the 60's coins are down another 4 inches Out of reach for the 250. This is the sinking coin dilemma. You need a deeper seeking machine or you need access to the deeper soil layer. As a partial remedy look for "soil losing areas" these are high areas where fast erosion is occurring. Hill tops are losing areas also the banks of gullies and some streams. Any slight slope with evidence water has been flowing over the surface is better than flat ground. There the older stuff will be closer to the top. I learned this from surface collecting of points for 30 years. Construction sites are excellent in that the top 4-12 inches of soil is usually removed before building. I'm constantly on the lookout for these. As for the multitude of targets, A pull tab can make 3 or 4 different sounds with the ACE depending on shape, depth and other things and of course so can jewellery. A smaller coil will separate the targets better but judicious use of the pinpoint function will also do that. Pinpoint every interesting target at a fixed height above the ground and listen to the tone carefully. I find the tone in the pinpoint mode helps in identification. If you have the time and want to break the boredom of digging pulltabs try digging every target in a 1 ft square section of soil, Iron and all. If you get more than 5 or 6 targets the 250 won't give a reliable target readout for a single coin because of masking. A 2 inch nail will mask a dime 2 inches away. The rule I use is if the targets are closer than half the width of the coil dig them all or forget it. That's about all I know for now but its a learning experience. Good luck with your hunt. I hope to see some silver soon!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16103.msg103467.html#msg103467

Offline dleppenTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett Ace 250
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks a bunch, you gave me some great ideas.  There are some slopes in this park, so next time I go out there I'll try detecting where there was some erosion.  I'm going to experiment some more with the pinpointer as well.  I think I'm going to bring a real shovel next time.  That should make digging multiple targets easier and its not like I have to worry about messing up the turf, however I'll still fill in my holes.
dleppen

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16103.msg103479.html#msg103479

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:53:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

If you don't have to worry about messing up the turf that makes it much better. Some hunters dig first and detect later. It makes sense if the targets are too deep for your machine to see. One river bank I hunt looks like it was plowed because of all the hunting that has been done there. I've used a sieve for points when I get in a hot spot. It only works if you have a good idea the targets are in the ground before you start digging. I am experimenting with a 2x2' box sieve with half inch hardware cloth mesh and lawnmower wheels. The idea is you pull the sieve around behind you with a rope attached to your belt and carry a long handle shovel in one hand and the detector in the other. When you come to a hot spot. You dig two or three targets at a time,  place the dirt in the sieve and then when the sieve gets full shake it down. The purpose is to cut down on the bending over.  I've determined so far is that its more fun to hunt in a place where the targets are near the top and separated. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16103.msg103594.html#msg103594

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: