[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Dirt DevilTopic starter
Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:29:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
I'm still fairly new to the site but I have a question maybe some of you old pros out there can help me with.
As I look through the boards and discussions I do not see where there are many people using Garrett metal detectors.
Keep in mind I did not say none I said not many.Is there something wrong with Garrett?The reason I ask is that I use a{older}gta 1000 and I really like it.I mainly hunt coins and it works well for me.This baby will not pass up on silver,it hits silver so well it tries to dig it up for you,well maybe not but I believe if it could dig it would.I know there is alot of newer models out and I am not against getting one of those but need your help in what one is better or can do a better job at coin shooting than the gta 1000.Not wanting to spend a bunch of money on something that will not give better results.Keep in mind this is the only detector I have owned[10yrs now]and I do not have anything to compare it to.
Your imput will be greatly appreciated.                                                                                                                  Does silver popping out of the ground just want to make you cry "TEARS OF JOY"

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg126993.html#msg126993

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:21:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Your Kidding Right?

Do you have any Idea of how many ACE 250's alone have been sold?

Garrett's are formidable machines.

I my self like the older ones but there are some newer ones that kick but.

I feel Garrett has gone on a tangent and seems to have lost some Shine with the Hobby detectors over the past years but they still have some good machines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127030.html#msg127030

Offline lem
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:30:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

The garrette Ace 250 is a very good machine for the money, although I mainly use a fisher 1270 for the depth, the ace will find any and all silver of the smallest size. For a turn on and go ya can't beat the Ace, am planning on getting a garrette up grade machine, I think garrette has whites beat hands down all day long.  The fisher I use finds a lot of items for me but seems tough on gold, might just be me, not sure yet, I can say this, I do not like the head phone hook up on the Fisher, and the ground balance seems to be quirky a lot.

Lem

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127043.html#msg127043

Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks guys but were not done yet.

Thought about getting one of those aces for my wife for she thought or thinks she might like to tag along!
I have read several reviews and the feedback is not all that great.Seems they do not pinpoint well at all.
I don't know if it,s the operator or the the machine.Basically 9 out of 10 reviews say it is a good machine but the pinpointing s!!ks.The gta I currently own is dead on everytime.I do not take a backhoe with me when I go out.
I am looking for a upgrade to the current machine I have[gta 1000].I don't know if the ace is the machine that would be a upgrade from what I currently have.You tell me. I don't see any reason to buy a pinpoint detector when I can get a detector that does not require one.
Now as far as depth I found a wheatie[penny] 12 inches down with very Strong signal on the gta.
How far down are you fellers diggin? Sorry I know the answer to that question[TILL YOU FIND THE TREASURE]
Should I just stay with the machine I currently have or is there something out there better for coin shooting?

As stated before I greatly appreciate your help.
I love this site and you guys are the best!!!!

v-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127107.html#msg127107

Offline lafatlife
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Omega 8000, T2, Whites Surfmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:22:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Pinpointing is not difficult at all.  If you are used to doing an X over the target, you won't have a problem.  When I pinpoint with my 250, it is right in the center hole of the coil.  I used to have the 2500 but then hurt my shoulder and had 3 surgeries.  I couldn't take the weight of it anymore.  I still have my 250 and like the machine.  It is not as deep as other machines but it is a good machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127124.html#msg127124

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher x 1265 * Garrett ace 250  * Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:28:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have two garrets, an Ace 250 and an infinium, both pinpoint very well, each a little differently but once you get on to them they work well.

People don't realize that every detector is different and it takes time to master each one.I have heard of people selling a new detector after just day after purchase saying they just can't get use to it or it doesn't work right.

If they would just read the manual that several hours of practice will make you understand the detector and it will work well for you.

Garrett is one of the best out there just give it a chance

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127125.html#msg127125

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:30:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by v-burgh
Thought about getting one of those aces for my wife for she thought or thinks she might like to tag along!
I have read several reviews and the feedback is not all that great.Seems they do not pinpoint well at all.

In almost every case, the pinpointing issue is down to the operator's lack of practice. It's a fine machine and very light weight making it easy on the arm. Also consider that the Ace 350 is now out and at only a small increase over the Ace 250. If you order through KellyCo, one of the board sponsors, you can get a pinpointer at a reduced price.

Go on. Be nice to her. When she starts showing you up, you'll order a second one for yourself.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127127.html#msg127127

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline fishftw
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret ace 250
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 09:19:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When I first got my Ace 250 i had trouble pinpointing but like everyone is saying after about a week or two of practice it becomes very easy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127138.html#msg127138

Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:00:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks fore the input

Is the ace a better machine than what I currently have?[gta 1000]
What is the depth of the ace 250?
Just as GD stated before,I do not want her to have a machine that's going to make me look bad.I'll buy it for myself and let her use one of less quality.Don't try and kid yourself,you would do the same.
Hopefully she doesn't read this for I may get myself in some trouble.HA HA
Gotta go she just walked in the room!!!!!!!

V-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127591.html#msg127591

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 01:44:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The question of "better" is hard to answer. The GTA series has the feature of Graphic Target Analyzer built in which gives you a good guess as to what your target is based on the graphics the machine came up with to identify the object. It's a bit pattern of the object in terms of a variety of parameters. If the machine actually analyzed the signal return image in a more meaningful way, it would be a formidable machine. Since it just gives you that information which you can get just by looking at the Ace indications, it's a bit like taking out your own appendix.

If you are talking about the power and depth detection of the machine, they are probably nearly equal. The limits most manufacturers have with depth is not down to the design of the detector but down to the limitations of physics. If you want a machine that will detect down to 3 meters in the ground, you need one the size of a garbage truck but made entirely of plastic. Hand held metal detectors have about the same depth capability as any other model manufactured near the same date. Technology advances slowly.

Get her the Ace. If she gets better than you, practice more and get better than she is. The skills of the operator have a far greater impact than the detector does.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19373.msg127630.html#msg127630

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:46:15 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: