[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hendroTopic starter
Copper Member

It's a BLAST!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

275.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:11:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm on the verge of buying a White's Spectra V3i without the wireless headphone.  I live in the western US, where there are lots of wide open spaces, so I'm not sure what the wireless headphones really buy me and they make the V3i $300 more expensive.  Moutains surround me.  There are ghost town and possible gold as well as relic hunting.  I have up to $1750 to spend on my MD.  I can get the 3Vi w/o the headphones for $1400.  If I buy from Kellyco. They offer a deal or at least the second detector for a huge discount.  I was thinking of getting my wife a simple one.  If she finds something I can run the V3i over it to see what it tells me.  Remember I have $350 to play with after buying the V3i so I can get a second better detector for my wife or I can buy a second coil or whatever.

Here are some of my options if I buy from Kellyco.  I can choose one of the free items or if I want one of the other items I just pay the shown price.  I'm just not really sure what is junk and what isn't or would I be better off just buying a second, better MD:
Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer Detector Retail Price $69.00  FREE!
Automax V4 Pinpointer Detector FREE!
Bounty Hunter VLF FREE!
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger FREE!
1st Texas Pilot $40.00
MP3 Pro Multi Power $45.00
MP5 Pro Multi Power $50.00
MPX Multi Power $65.00
Titan 2000 with 8" Coil $75.00
Pioneer 505 with 8" Coil $85.00
Titan 2000 Pro - 8" and 4" coils (2 coils) $95.00
Pioneer 505 Pro - 8" and 4" coils (2 coils) $100.00
Viper Trident $164.00
Cobra Land Beach & Water $169.00

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Let me know what you would do and why?  I'd really appreciate any input.  Thanks.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135098.html#msg135098

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:45:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

No one can tell you what to buy no one knows where you or how you hunt. Why ask a bunch of strangers how to spend your money.
If you wanted advice you should have asked before you decided on the White's Spectra V3i dollar for dollar that is the poorest detector out there. I wouldn't pay 300 new in the box for one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135101.html#msg135101

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline LostChapterBooks
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:54:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

IMHO - Get the wireless headphones!!  When I set my machine down with the wired, I have to take them off and they get in the way of the machine when I set them down. They are just a pain....

Wireless however are a god send to me.

I decided to wait 30 days or so more before buying the V3i. I am sure the price won't go up, but am hoping it will go down a little.  The price that KellyCo has on the system is the SAME price as advertised by the White's coupon book, therefore can be gotten at that price anywhere.  So really the only advantage should be the BOGO option.

As to the second machine, use the compare feature on KellyCo's site and look at the differences in the machines offered but remember it's ALMOST a BOGO.  The charges can add up on the extra machine.  I believe that shipping carges are not included on the BOGO, so you still have to pay them.  Look at the price, plus shipping that the machine would normally cost you and compare to the cost within the BOGO.

For example, the Cobra Land Beach and Water on thier site lists at retail 1000.00, but sells at Kellyco price 399.95.  If using the Bogo for over 1000.00 your charge is 169.00 (and note does not come with any free accessories or the pinpointer as most of the other machines do). Add shipping costs of about 11.95.

Basically what I see is between a 150.00 and a 200.00 discount off other merchandise, but not a true BOGO.

Posted on: January 02, 2011, 11:51:37 AM
Seldom

What is your reason for this comment might I ask?

"the White's Spectra V3i dollar for dollar that is the poorest detector out there. I wouldn't pay 300 new in the box for one."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135104.html#msg135104

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline hendroTopic starter
Copper Member

It's a BLAST!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

275.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:09:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom,

Interestingcomments.  It seems to me, that every time someone is looking for advice on a MD, that they are asking for advice on how best to spend their money.  Some do it more directly, as I did, than others, but it's all the same in the end.  Like everyone, we all want to maximize what we can get with the limited resources we have.

I see you are not impressed with the V3i.  I'd be interested in hearing your reasons, and what your recommendations would be in stead of a V3i, given that you were going to use a MD for prospecting, coin hunting, and perhaps meteorite hunting?  I really would be interested.

LostChapterBooks,

I appreciate the input about setting the MD down.  Is it really that big of a hassle to just unplug the headphones before setting it down?  Just wondering.

After Seldoms comments, I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for getting your V3i vs. any other detector.  Interesting thoughts on the shipping and other aspects of their deals.  I was debating on getting the V3i and possibly either the Coinmaster or the one of the Garrett Ace's for the Mrs..  I'd be interested on any thoughts you might have on that as well.  Thanks.

Dave

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135109.html#msg135109

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:16:54 pm by hendro »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:30:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hendro
I see you are not impressed with the V3i.  I'd be interested in hearing your reasons, and what your recommendations would be in stead of a V3i, given that you were going to use a MD for prospecting, coin hunting, and perhaps meteorite hunting?  I really would be interested.

Its a poor machine in wet sand and we had lots of trouble with it in high mineralization soil.  Minelabs E-Trac is a much better all around detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135110.html#msg135110

Offline LostChapterBooks
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:00:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dave

Yes, to me, unplugging the wires, setting the machine down, then digging, getting up and replugging the wires becomes a hassle after a while... but I get upset over te littlest thing that gets in the way of finding a coin.  Cheesy

I personally like the V3I. I've had a Technetics, Whites, Garrett, and Minelab at one time or another and I like the technology of the V3i so far.

Seldom

This is the first time I have heard of problems in wet sand, but am currently in Indiana where I do not encounter that.  I will however meet up with it when i get to Australia.  Will have to do a WHOLE LOT of research now about that to see if there is programming that will offset that.

I have heard a lot about the E-Trac, but only looked at it a little while as a possible choice.  Saw no reason for the plug into your computer capability. Maybe need to do some more reasearch on that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135112.html#msg135112

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline bartrer
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

WOW I use my v3i on jersey shore beaches all the time and have no problem ocean and river. Our beaches are said to be picked clean yet I always come back with finds. For a poor machine I am quite happy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135113.html#msg135113

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 01:43:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm with Seldom on the Recommending any machine.

You give no Idea of what your hunting for.

That is another Want to do everything machine but you could get a machine to do what you want that does it better for less.

Cool Bells and whistles.

If you want to hunt Gold, a Computer driven machine is not the way to go.

It looks like a Information Over Load that really would not do it for you.

Man, if I had that money to work with I would buy three machines that did the two things I want the most best!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135116.html#msg135116

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lot of phosphate on the beaches here that may be the problem.

Its probably a great machine I just did not like it for the hunting I do. I mainly hunt artifacts, cache and water hunting. If your going to coin shoot only with it it may be great I don't know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135117.html#msg135117

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Why not look at the mxt, It's a good all round machine, the f75 ltd is a pretty heavy duty piece of kit and it can do most things from what i've herd, I think you should buy the detector that is built for the type of hunting you want to do, as for the E-trac it's full-on in the power department and easy to set up ground tracking is good and the auto sensitivity is brilliant but the meter is ok to a point, but it is a class act. I've got the MXT300 and the E-trac. for unknown sites i always use the mxt it has the power and the speed to deal with the junk infested sites, and don't buy with youe eye's buy with your brain and you'll get the right machine. good luck

Posted on: January 02, 2011, 06:40:22 PM
If you'er going to hunt around ghost towns and also look for gold then maybe the mxt-pro or the minelab 705 would be a good starting point for you, don't forget you have the chance to change frequencies with the 705 by changing the coils and all the V-rated coils for the mxt. there's a coil for every situation with the mxt, I don't know too much about the F75 just that it's good,fast and deep. you could get the mxt and the 705 or two MXT PRO'S for the cost of the V3i and still have change

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20444.msg135197.html#msg135197

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:04:01 pm by auminesweeper »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: