[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cocosoftTopic starter
Bob
Foil

My greatest passtime when i am up for it
Bob
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory
Later
Awards

None at present
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:40:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Guys & Gals, yes another total newbie currently into electronics, radio, amps, - all stuff interesting technically, especially if i can get my hands on a circuit and make something then try to improve upon it.
Found some circuits i downloaded somewhere quite a while ago and did not even remember what they were actually for.
Turned out they are circuits for "Pinpointers".
Question is, would this be a good way to start into treasure finders or should i start elsewhere.
Whatever I do I will need to be building it myself as i have the resources to do so but not the money to go out and buy new metal detectors.
Would appreciate hearing your thoughts and or seeing any circuits you might have that you would particularly swear by.

Thanks and greetings to you one and all wherever in the world you may be.
Regards Robert  Teach

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17711.msg113846.html#msg113846

A fairly private person but will open up more as i get used to doing this.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:05:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey, Robert.

Welcome to THunting.com.
        If money is the issue, I'd recommend looking at used detectors rather than building.  Seems like quality homebuilts often cost more than a good used detector once everything is said and done.   This is especially the case if you feel you have the competence to make minor repairs to a used detector (although most of the used detectors I've seen out there are ready to go just as they are).   As for pinpointers, their auxilliary tools to be used with a full size detector.....unless you want to spend a whole lot of time scanning a wall or something, they aren't much use without a full size detector.
        Still if you're talking about building one just to learn the theory and get the practice, yeah, they would probably be a pretty good start.   There are a couple of pretty good pinpointer project on this site (as well as several fully functioning full-size detectors of several types).  Eugene, Xavier, Homefire, Paul A, Golddigger 1950, Cornelius and several other members can give you much better guidance than I can when it comes to building your own detector---so you may want to search for some of their previous posts on the subject.

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17711.msg113915.html#msg113915

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:22:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Cocosoft,
I'd guess that being in Oz, probably the best detector to start off with would be a relatively simple P.I. type of detector.
Good performance compared with commercial detectors (better in a lot of instances).
The "Hammerhead" P.I. would be a good one to make.
There were circuit boards available from one of the guys on here.
At a guess, I would think you could build one for less than 60 dollars or so.....
I think you have "Jaycar" over there? ... they are pretty good for parts.
The only drawback with P.I. is there's no discrimination (most will ignore foil though)... so you'll likely be digging up quite a few "tinnies".
A great thing about P.I. types though is that it's SO easy to wind a "pinpointer" coil for them too!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17711.msg113964.html#msg113964

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:03:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from the Perth side.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17711.msg114979.html#msg114979

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: