[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline RelicRaiserTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter, MXT 300
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have access to an old farmhouse that I'd like to search for pretty much anything really.  I haven't been able to date it as of yet, but I'm sure it is old.  My question is are there any techniques with a regular detector or is there a handheld device that I could use to search inside the house?  I'd like to search the walls, floor boards, etc., without tearing everything up.  Thanks.

Dave

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18515.msg120261.html#msg120261

Cheers,
Dave

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:56:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is a good question that will take some time to answer.

Obviously a metal detector or stud detector will find metal. The bad part of that is almost every house has metal bits here and there so distinguishing between a nail in the floorboard and a small box of old coins hidden 6 inches below the nail is going to be hard.

Most of the time, a visual inspection will reveal a lot. Look for mismatched wallpaper areas, newspapers that cover bare walls, paint over plastered areas, loose floorboards, loose baseboards, cabinets with bottoms that lift up, stairs with risers that lift or scuff boards that are not secured, hollow handrails, medicine chests that pull out, false backs in closets and those lift up panels in the ceiling. Look under sinks for false wall panels. Look in the attic, basement and root cellar. If the floors in the cellar are dirt, use your detector there. Look in the floor joist area under the floors. Look for hollow lolly columns and false beams. Look around window frames and inside window counterweights. Look at door jambs and search for hollow spaces in the door itself. Look for lifting floorboards in closets and under where beds would have been.

Your work will be cut out for you and you won't need to use your detector very much at all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18515.msg120382.html#msg120382

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:46:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Relic Raiser

GD has about covered it.

Other things to look out for is old farming implements and bottles. they can be quite the collectors item these days.

I know some people collect old farming plows and clean them up and sell them as garden ornaments.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18515.msg120421.html#msg120421

Offline RelicRaiserTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter, MXT 300
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:59:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's perfect guys!  That's exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you!!  I know it will be difficult but it is exciting at the same time so I look forward to it.  It may be a good winter job as well since it's inside and there won't be much digging in the ground. 

I've heard that people would put coins at the base of a window sill, or something like that.  Is there a time period for that and does anyone know why they did it?  Was it just superstition, like it would give them good look or something, or was it to actually reveal the date of the construction?

I will often just sit at a site that I'm digging and look around, trying to take myself back in time to see what people may have done or think like they might have.  However, I fear that my ideas may be polluted with common, everyday, modern thought processes that we all feel are "the way it's supposed to be."  That's why I value this forum so much!  All of ya'll share your experiences and expertise and that helps cut out a lot of the mistakes or misconceptions that I may waste time with otherwise and for that, I am grateful!  You guys rock!   Kiss

Cheers,
Dave 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18515.msg120437.html#msg120437

Cheers,
Dave

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:24:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like fun......this scenario is about the only one I can think of where I wish "pinpointers" had discrimintation capabilities.  Smiley 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18515.msg120525.html#msg120525

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Inside old buildings I have found a good UV light is more important then a detector. It can show were patches have been made. I have found several small amounts of money over the door trim inside closets. If you got all winter go slow and take your time you might get lucky.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18515.msg120543.html#msg120543

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: