[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HiTechTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTA500
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:24:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a CUE Electronics TR-501 "Descriminator" detector that is in need of repair. I have not been successful in locating any info, be it operator's manual or schematic diagrams. It employs a number of IC chips and transistors as well as support componentry, so this isn't some dime-store detector. Other than knowing that Compass had something to do with their production CUE Electronics seems to me an anomaly when it comes to detectors. Can anyone provide me with some info. or leads on CUE Electronics and this model TR-501 detector? Thank you.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9789.msg61491.html#msg61491

My equipment:
Garrett Ultra GTA 500 - bought for $5...  yes, $5!!  {alt}
CUE Electronics TR-501 Discrimimnator
HarborFreight 43149-0VGA Descriminator (modified)
Micronta 3001 detector
CenTech Pinpointer (modified)

Offline Melbeta
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:07:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have limited knowledge about Cue Electronics. While I was a Compass metal detector dealer, they decided to invade the large store market, and deciding not to anger the dealers, they came up with the Cue line of plastic body detectors, so they could sell them at J. C. Pennys and other large chain stores. However, it did anger me.

They had BFO's (BFO-50 model), and TR's (TR-100, TR-200, TR-300, TR-400, TR-500 and TR-1000) models. Since I quit selling the Cue detectors, I was not aware of a TR-501 model.

I bought a few of them, to see what they were, and they were not as good a machine as the standard green metal body Compass detectors. I was glad when I sold the last one of them.

What really angered me was they gave me a "higher" price for the Cue machines, then they gave to the chain stores, so that I could not compete on the Cue detectors with the chain stores. I guess you can now guess, that was the death knell for Compass??? Dealers felt like myself, that they had "stuck it to us", and we started to quit selling Compass detectors, and going with the brands that did not "stick it to us".

Cue Electronics is no longer in business, it was run right out of Compass manufacturing building. Same people, just cheaper machines, to market to the chain stores, and compete with the normal Compass dealers!!! That is my view of Cue Electronics...

So today, the brands that did not "stick it to us", are still in business, and the brands that "stuck it to us" are no longer in business. Lesson should be learned and remembered by today's manufacturers. Also, Compass and Cue, never gave us any schematics or let us buy parts and make our own repairs. Another lesson to today's metal detector manufacturers.

The TR-500 and TR-1000 detectors, were advertised as "discrimination operation with scaled control on Cue models TR-500 and TR-1000. With this control the operator can pre-select the trash items he desires to eliminate, such as tin foil, botttle caps and pull tabs. Some loss in sensitivity occurs in the higher discrimination setting (when set to eliminate pull tabs, rings and U.S. nickels will not be detected). In any case, the operator has his choice of STANDARD (essential for artifact hunting) or DISCRIMINATE modes of operation!" Sounds just like the normal TR metal detectors of those days, doesn't it? Except they were cheaper machines, and not as good as the Compass metal detectors.

Now if Cadillac who makes nice Cadillac cars, suddendly started building some junk car, made of plastic, that was not as good as Cadillac, and had a price fairly close to Cadillac, what do you think would happen to Cadillac? Yes, that is right, it would be the death knell for Cadillac.

I have the TR-500 marked $229.95, it has been so long ago, I think this was the retail price, not my dealer cost.

By June 1981, many of these models were gone, and there were some new models, some of them VLF models. Later on, Cue was gone, then they had the same kind of plastic case models (just would not quit on trying to sell these detectors) and they were now called Gold Star detectors. Then they came up with plastic case Liberty detectors, and I have a schematic for the Liberty 150 model, it had 4 I.C.'s in it, NE5532, CD4066, LF444, and LF442. I do not know if those are the I.C.'s that you have, but you can check them out.

The plastic case detectors, still were junk in my mind, and all I sold were the standard green metal case Compass detectors, which were very very good machines. And eventually Compass wised up, and came out with newer and better machines, and even the Gold Star detectors were gone!

Now as far as repairing them, if Keith Wills cannot, then I think it is a parts box, unless you can sit down and draw up a schematic yourself. I used to work on the defective Compass detectors myself, and most of the time, it was bad battery packs or bad battery connectors, and sometimes loose wiring. So check that out, start with the power supply sections, and go from there. Remember, electrolytic capacitors, had an inside of wrapped aluminum foil, the wrappings were separated by a insulating grease, and over time, and from over heating, these capacitors go bad, so I would begin by replace every one of the electrolytic capacitors. By then I think you will have the detector working again....

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9789.msg74595.html#msg74595

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: