[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline saltfisherTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250, Whites Prizm 4
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:22:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a ACE 250, and my dad has a whites PRIZM 4. We like both of them, and found tons of stuff, but would like to get a little more depth/accuracy out of a detector and somthing thats better on the beach. We do mostly ring/coin hunting. Here in PA in fields, parks, ect. and down on the beach durring and after storms and hurricanes for old coins and jewlery. What do you think we should go with? Probably looking to stay around or under $1k. Also like to get something user friendly. We both dont want a machine that needs alot of touchy things set. I want to hunt, not mess with settings. Has to be a turn on and go machine, or something easy to use. I dont mind messing with a setting or two, but dont want to be messing with settings for hours.

Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45508.html#msg45508

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Look at getting a CZ, Multi freq. Minelab, or possibly a pulse induction detector, but certainly do your homework before going that route.

If your going to spend the money get something that does well in the salt, not just something that can deal with it so so.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45514.html#msg45514

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:37:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you don't mind digging it all get a PI unit.

Not much simpler.   No Discrimination, Just Power settings and go.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45528.html#msg45528

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250, Whites Prizm 4
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 05:44:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There needs to be some descriminating, as sometimes we search trashy areas and need to rule out nails/foil if we are coin hunting.

Whats about one of the top of the line whites? Not a PRIZM

Sine my dad got his prizm 4 about 5 months ago, he found over $60.00 in silver clad, 2 silver rings, 1 gold ring, and a bunch of other stuff. He is doing quite well. He never usually digs pennies.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45538.html#msg45538

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:05:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by saltfisher
There needs to be some descriminating, as sometimes we search trashy areas and need to rule out nails/foil if we are coin hunting.

Whats about one of the top of the line whites? Not a PRIZM

Sine my dad got his prizm 4 about 5 months ago, he found over $60.00 in silver clad, 2 silver rings, 1 gold ring, and a bunch of other stuff. He is doing quite well. He never usually digs pennies.

Hello saltfisher . Here are my suggestions , the Fisher CZ-3D or the Tesoro Cortez . Both are Great machines and easy to use . If you hunt only on the Beach then get the Minelab excalibur II .
Other Forum members are welcome to comment here !!
HH......Best Regards......Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45576.html#msg45576

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:39:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When I think about this question it brings me up short. There really are some amazing choices these days. It wasn't that long ago that there were just a few good manufacturers, some of whom are gone now, and each had one or two flagship models and that was it. Today we see consumerism at its best with more choices than ever. I love that we have to decide. We have an incredible number of machines out there, each having charms to entice us to buy. Every manufacturer now also has full lines of a variety of detecting devices. It's a buyer's world for us today and it's about time, I say.

Who remembers the Gardiner Electronics machines? I bought one of those with the 30 inch coil. Man, could that thing find deep stuff. A friend of mine in Oxnard, California effectively paid for it when he asked me to find his daddy's car. No, he didn't lose the car. His daddy buried it in 1949 on a few hundred acres of family land out in the Palm Desert area so his soon to be ex-wife wouldn't get it in settlement. He died and the son decided that he wanted the car which was unbelievably still listed on his daddy's will which left it to his first born child. He was born to daddy's second wife 5 years after the car was buried and the will bequest became the cause for the search. Poor daddy died and never told his son about the car at all. He found out about it in the will.

After some interviews and research I narrowed it down to a few acres and we set off with the Gardiner to find it. His daddy's workers had used some heavy equipment so I presumed it would be very deep. After two days of searching and staying in a motor home, I found it buried at a depth of only three feet. The size of the return was overwhelmingly consistent with the vehicle size and we began the excavation. Aside from the rotted tires, a few cracked windows and a slightly caved in roof the car was in pretty good shape. As it was being lifted from its grave, I jokingly told my friend that I wanted the change from the back seat cushions. He agreed and said I could have any money in the car. Big mistake but I shared it with him anyway. We had a wild weekend in Las Vegas from what was in the car. Daddy must have planned to dig it up some day and forgot about it.

I always love these memory storms that happen when discussion on another subject brings them up. I was thinking about the choices I had for deep seeking detectors back then. The Garrett two box unit was one but it had drawbacks for the project. The Gardiner was perfect but costly. "And that," as Paul Harvey says, "Is the rest of the story." A great memory.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45597.html#msg45597

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:52:00 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline PaulSRQ
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F75, Garrett ACE 250, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:22:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hard question to answer because everybody has their own personal opinions and preferences. The best advice I can give you is to find a dealer that stocks all of the brands you are interested in so you can look at them and see how they feel. I am lucky that I live close enough to Kellyco and can stop by the showroom and check out all of the different brands... all except Tesoro, which is ridiculous because Tesoro makes excellent detectors.

To make a long story short, I was extremely impressed with Minelab. They feel solid and well balanced without being heavy and seem pretty simple to operate. I'd like to have the Safari. The X-Terras also looked really nice. That's my $.02 I hope it helps.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45637.html#msg45637

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250, Whites Prizm 4
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:50:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What about the whites beach hunter? They are around $900 or so. Is the beach hunter good on land too? Hows the depth with one of them?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45863.html#msg45863

Offline joechip4
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign, Gold Max Power, Tejon, Fieldmaster SMX90...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:36:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Saltfisher,

Do you intend to purchase it new ? Some members might disagree (and I am very, very new on this forum  Pray) but I think that MDs' look age very quickly during beach hunting (due to sand, salt etc.), compared with wood/field hunting, and I prefer to use an already ground in, second hand detector that will not lose its value after a few minutes. 

I have been using an old Sovereign (it is the XS2a pro, with the meter), this machine does not care about salt nor other mineralized soils in terms of performance, it is easy to use and can be purchased at low prices. It is very close to the Excalibur Eugene is suggesting (Excalibur II, the new version, is more expensive than the Sov., does not have the notch function which I think is not very useful, is more ( ! ) than waterproof - I would avoid second hand for such diving equipment, new Excalibur is about $1100).
More expensive (but you now can get them at "bargain" prices, $1700 new and less than 800 second hand) but soooooo powerful, I would recommend the Minelab (MPS) SD2200. You really need a good shovel with this MD.

I have the same feeling as Paul: I am also impressed with Minelab (even if my heart is closer to Tesoro or Whites), especially as far as beach and mineralized soils are concerned.

regards,
Joe.

PS: keep the ACE 250, this machine is great !

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45893.html#msg45893

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250, Whites Prizm 4
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 03:41:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks!

I would keep the ACE 250 but want something that will go a little deeper and work better in wet sand. It does work in wet sand but have to take sensitivity all the way down... then i loose depth. I may end up keeping it for land use if the beach hunter is not good on land.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7350.msg45894.html#msg45894

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: