[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline OseaniaTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Finland
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:22:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

I read that most PI metal detectors don't detect some stainless steel grades. This is because the conductivity of the material is so low that the eddy currents dissipate before by the time pulse delay has ended and the sampling begins. Is it possible to detect stainless steel with VLF metal detectors and has anyone tried it?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20675.msg137079.html#msg137079

Offline ram
Silver Member

Thank you148

Activity
0%

Portugal

5270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:36:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Oseania
I read that most PI metal detectors don't detect some stainless steel grades. This is because the conductivity of the material is so low that the eddy currents dissipate before by the time pulse delay has ended and the sampling begins. Is it possible to detect stainless steel with VLF metal detectors and has anyone tried it?

pi can detect stainless steels but it loses its deepness to detect.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20675.msg137108.html#msg137108

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Finland

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:15:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,

In my application the stainless steel is under conducting mineral rocks. So eddy currents coming from the mineral rocks might mask the weak eddy currents in the stainless. I think that VLF with discrimination might work however I haven't any practical experience from it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20675.msg137116.html#msg137116

Offline ram
Silver Member

Thank you148

Activity
0%

Portugal

5270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:59:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Oseania
Hi,

In my application the stainless steel is under conducting mineral rocks. So eddy currents coming from the mineral rocks might mask the weak eddy currents in the stainless. I think that VLF with discrimination might work however I haven't any practical experience from it.

PI has no effect in mineral rocks even on salt water or highly miniralized soil. discrimination is useless in pi.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20675.msg137220.html#msg137220

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Finland

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 12:31:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well the mineral rocks contain graphite so they are conductive. PI has been tested on this application and it didn't work.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20675.msg137253.html#msg137253

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 02:39:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is a good question and a tough one to answer. Some grades of stainless steel are magnetic and some are not. It depends on the alloy. Those that are magnetic are detected like any other ferrous metal while those that are not react like gold or silver. Conductivity has little to do with the detection. The ability to develop a magnetic field does. Some ceramics are magnetic and are not metal. They can be detected using a metal detector. Before you all go leaping out to try this, remember that most ceramics are not magnetic.

A PI detector isn't going to ignore the steel because of it's conductivity but because it cannot develop an eddy current inside the metal. Instead, it develops an eddy current field on the surface of the metal like gold and silver. The surface eddy current is not as strong as the internal one developed by ferrous metals so an inverse signal strength happens in your target. The strength is not what gives you a target response. The field collapse time is what does that in a PI detector. The decay of the return pulse is critical to detecting a signal so you might be able to find it with a detector that has an adjustable pulse width.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20675.msg137341.html#msg137341

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: